wiring in a new stereo

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ftoboi
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

wiring in a new stereo

Post by ftoboi »

Hi ppl,
just wanted to let all those guys out there who want to go the DIY route with installing their own head units, not to follow the wiring diagram provided by the funky fto website. http://www.funky-fto.co.uk/howto.html
The wiring of the speakers is incorrect, when you turn it on, you'll think WTF? As the sound is totally distorted :?
Instead, http://www.myfto.co.uk/q&a.htm provides the correct wiring instructions.
For someone with such a wealth of (in)experience in this kinda stuff, wiring in a new stereo is quite piss easy... installed a sony cdx mp80, with infinity kappa 60.5cs in the doors (still havent figured out the crossover thingy, but the speakers and tweeters are in, advice PLEASE?) looks rather nifty :wink: [/img]
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

hi ftoboi
with thew splits they normally come with instructions

but new split in a couple of month back

with the cross over box you have the in from the stero and two out one for the speaker and one for the tweeter

this is so the tweeter doesn't get to much bass as it will blow the tweeter

where are you

i can give you a hand if you want me to look at

robert

ps also welcome to the group
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

from the splits i did a little while back
Hertz HSK 165's...

speaker wire into crossover box
tweeter out to tweeter
bass out to bass driver

pretty simple, just get the polarities right

SilentBob
ftoboi
Apprentice

Post by ftoboi »

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys. Kaveman, i'm actually in Perth so unfortunately i can't take up your helpful offer. The instructions were very vague, and like i said, i don't know much about this stuff (bugger all actually, just a die hard DIY learn-as-you-go freak). I'll just tell you what i have done and could you explain it as if you were explaining it to a 5 year old? :) all i did was wire the speakers (not tweeters) in where the old ones were.
My crossover has three sets of connections, one +ve and -ve for each,
1) to amplifier/speaker outputs 2) to woofer 3) to tweeter. I don't have an amp yet, btw.
What i'm thinking is the speaker wire from the door goes into (1), the tweeter connects to (3) and a seperate wire connects the actual speaker to (2)... how far off am i?
I just need to know what wire goes where, and where the wires originate from. And is the new tweeter a direct replacement of the old one found in the front vents?
Sorry if this sounds dumb to all the pro's out there, i'm not one and won't pretend to be :lol: Sigh... all this trouble just to save $90...Thanks!
ftoboi
Apprentice

Post by ftoboi »

nvm, i figured it out already