why should i buy an fto ?? convince me :P

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jimbo77
jedwabna poszewka promocja

why should i buy an fto ?? convince me :P

Post by jimbo77 »

well 1st off i hope use all had a good christmas!!

now heres mi situation, had mi licence for 2 months, im living in WA (no P plate restrictions yet) and i drive a mazda eunos which is for sale. reason im upgrading is the eunos is too slow, boring to drive, its a girls car, and ive been into the car scene (both v8s and imports) mi whole life and ive got the coin to upgrade so why not !!

im looking at buying this fto, its advertised as $21,990 but i can get it for $14,500 its fresh off the boat from japan, and a 3 1/2 grade auction
1999 gpx
106,000kms
5 speed manual
veilside body kit, enkei rims, tein suspension
and i know the dealer so im prety much guaranteed that nothing is wrong with the car and nothing should go wrong with it in a long time

my price range is 20k atm leaving the r34 gtt coupe, and s15 just out of reach (the dealer told me he can get me a real nice one for 25k) im also thinking of maybe buying a VY sv8, or VY ss commodore (can prbly buy privatly for under 20k)

so my question is wats nice about the FTO, what im looking for in a car is nice looks, reliablity and power to go with it, and i will be the 1st to admit, the looks of an FTO top the s15 and r34 as it looks more like an expensive car not just an import. i did take the fto for a drive...it is quick but its not the fastest thing on the road. the dealer recons if i buy this car, if i keep it in the same condition as it leaves the car yard he will prety much give me back what i paid for it once ive saved up for the car i realy want (in maybe 6 months to 1 year)

pros- looks nice, will be very cheep on fuel
cons- a bit on the slow side, bit of a girls car, FWD, not much potential modification wise
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Re: why should i buy an fto ?? convince me :P

Post by zuihoujueding »

pros- looks nice, will be very cheep on fuel
cons- a bit on the slow side, bit of a girls car, FWD, not much potential modification wise[/quote]

hello there,
You have pretty much answered yourself there.

But really ask yourself. Are you thirsty for HP? if yes, FTO is not for you. If you more of a Honda TypeR person, then FTO might be a suitable choice. Hmm, why not buy a CIvic/Integra typeR then?
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

for 20000bux you can pick up a nice version r fto with the same km's maybe even less.

''bushido'' or steve is selling his i think for under 15000? << its good sh*t. And you'll have cash to spend ontop. Like my plug steve? LOL

Pros
1. Everywhere you go you'll get second glances and it certainly has more appeal in the looks department when parked next to a sky.line, lancer or blahblah
2. Great fto support from this club, bang up the car and most likely someone here has a part for you... And then theres ''dstocks'' who will get you the part your after.
3. Only enough room for your misses. You wont get drunk d*ckhead mates trying to punch the back of your head while you kindly drive them home.
4..... Ill leave it to the rest of you

Note: People say its a gurly car because it looks better then their cars.
There are quite a number of turbo fto's and fto's running different engines so you can always switch it up. ;)
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Everyone has forgot the handling.....

For me, this is one of the biggest plusses of the FTO. For its age, the handling on the FTO is top notch. This makes the car fun to drive. We have had a number of members that have switched to higher HP cars in the past only to come back later on and get another FTO because it is more fun to drive.

Is the one you are looking at manual or auto?. Generally a manual is quicker (although driver has a big infuence on that too).

There are a number of HP gains to be had by adding exhaust, extractors, CAI and piggyback ECU, but they are mild gains.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Cassf88
    Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

i had some little kid call mine a ferrari - "oh look a ferrari". So i definelty +1 the others commenting on the looks dept.

i would add to more points but i think theyre pretty much covered by everyone else.

Good luck
    poahfto
    Grease Monkey

Post by poahfto »

lol thats happend 2 me aswell.

my head grew 50x larger hahahaa :lol:
    aza013
    NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

we can give you all the info you want about FTOs but it comes down to you and what you want in a car.
    But I would say keep looking around if you want an FTO as there is ones out there that has lower Ks and at a better price.
    the car looks great, but there are some things I spotted on the car that didnt look right see pic below.
    the front and back bars are not that big of a prob but the door at this angle looks to have a big gap :scratch: but like I said it may just be the angle of the pic.

any way good luck with it all.
    koolio1234
    Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

If its in the good condition you say its in then go for it, you wont regret it, they always seem to hold their value as well. You can get them cheaper than that as well and use the rest of the money on a 6a13 conversion. Good value for money and fun to drive.
    [img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

That door gap could also be a black plastic strip. They came as an option to protect the door edge.[/i]
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Supplanter
      Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

If by "3 1/2 grade" you mean auction grade then that isn't a very good grade, especially for that price, unless FTOs are more expensive in the West.
      LED ALL the things.
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Youd be very lucky to find a condition 4 now though , so 3 and a half is pretty good. Mine was a condition 4, but in the six months I spent browsing the auction sites before mine came up, there would have only been a dozen 4's in that whole time and not a single FTO showed up over that rating.
        dSin
        Apprentice

Post by dSin »

wow im surprised no one has mentioned this.. but

the sound of an fto is just music to your ears. 8)
        sublime19
        Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

14500 is way too much.. 21,990 is pathetic, can't believe anybody would consider paying that much, regardless of it being a 99 model, it's still done 106,000 kms.

if the car had like 20,000 ks and it was a 99-2000 model, yea maybe somebody would pay 22k for it.

Apart from that, everything else has been said already.
        I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
        Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
        Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
        vipfto
        Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

nice first post there dsin ;) and WTTC

as for why FTO well its down to your own taste really, yes mivec sounds good and they handle excellent but if your after a hardcore speed machine than its not for you.

If you like the look than who gives a sh*t about what others think its all about what you want mate your theone who will own it not them.

and price I think thats way too steep :!: as mentioned before bushido's car is an excellent/much better buy for the same money
        FTO GR-TURBO
        172KW ATW @ 11PSI
        nikhan
        Mechanic

Post by nikhan »

Dude, if the you like the FTO but its not fast enough for u, y not look at Jeff's turboed FTO on the cars for sale section. U get speed and the classy-ness of the FTO at the same time :)
        rock_it
        Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Hmm .. Not wanting to come off harsh ... But it should not be up to anyone to convince you ..

If you like the car, then buy one ... If not, get something else ...

These are not cars that are really built to modify much ... But are a nice drive... I have been thinking of selling mine lately, as I am pondering getting an RX7 twin turbo ... 1992+ Model, as I want to have another car with balls, as it looks like my Lancer/GSR will ever be on the road ...

So the decision is yours... I can tell you that the only reason I bought the FTO was its looks, it is a great N/A car, and with some simple litting things, you turn heads and get some great performance... A fun little FWD car ...
        Benedict_XIII
        Grease Monkey

Post by Benedict_XIII »

Are you a sheep or a shepard

Sheep, big ugly soap box racer skyline a very fast sheep in straight line but still a sheep

shepard, fto different so very very sexy and always looking for sheep to flock and also for parts

the more you look the more obsessed you become be wary look at this website
        sublime19
        Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

rock_it wrote:Hmm .. Not wanting to come off harsh ... But it should not be up to anyone to convince you ..

exactly..

The comment above me about being a sheep is completely idiotic in my opinion.
        I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
        Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
        Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
        RallyMad
        Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

sublime19 wrote:
        rock_it wrote:Hmm .. Not wanting to come off harsh ... But it should not be up to anyone to convince you ..

exactly..

The comment above me about being a sheep is completely idiotic in my opinion.
        I couldn't agree more on both counts. Do what you want, ignore what idiots try and tell you ;)
        rock_it
        Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

rock_it wrote: it is a great and/A car, and with some simple litting things, you turn heads and get some great performance... A fun little FWD car ...
        Hmmm ... The good old w0rd filter strikes again ... That should be Naturally Aspirated