Turbo but no extra fual management

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Storm
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbo but no extra fual management

Post by Storm »

After kermut saying he was running his turbo currently without any extra fuel management it got me thinking about how far you could push the existing (or bigger) injectors and ECU before they got well out of their depth, performance wise?

Kermut had an extra injector but do you think that even 1 or 2 psi would throw out the ECU completely?

Just thinking out loud so I thought I'd ask you guys, who seem to be working on these kind of things all of the time :lol:

Bill
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

No i dont think 1 or 2 psi would throw out the ecu, however how would you achieve 1 or 2 psi. There certainly arent any waste gates that i know of that would open so low.

HTH
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
kermut
Grease Monkey

Post by kermut »

use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator...with an extra injector and a pressure switch....and as for the ecu...the ecu when it seez boost it leans out your mixtures completely....for a brief second but thats what the extra injectors for!!! everybodys wants to turbo there fto but when they have a chance no1 takes it hahaha
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

kermut wrote: everybodys wants to turbo there fto but when they have a chance no1 takes it hahaha
**cough, cough** :D
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

kermut wrote:use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator...with an extra injector and a pressure switch....and as for the ecu...the ecu when it seez boost it leans out your mixtures completely....for a brief second but thats what the extra injectors for!!! everybodys wants to turbo there fto but when they have a chance no1 takes it hahaha
Dreamers ... Everyone wants....

But then the practicality ... I have pondered this though many a times.. But it does not stop at turbo ... FWD + Turbo is going to require LSD ... So there is more cash... + install = More cash ... + Engineer = more cash ... Added to that Insurance = more cash ... etc. etc.

A lot of FTO owners are P plate drivers ... So turbo is out anyway ... The only reason I got the fto was that the Mrs can drive it when she gets off her L's (if that ever happens), and as a guy, I didn't want to have to buy a Mirage or Lancer as my only option for her.... So yeah FTO was the clear winner...

So honestly back to the turbo, and after you go through all that, you are better off buying a car that is already turbo'd and a better platform ... Unless you really love the FTO that much to go ahead with it ...

Not having a dig at anyone here going down the turbo path ... But yeah, I did this to my Sonata, and with all the money thrown at it, it only made me realise more that I should have just bought the Evo and got out a loan ....
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

rock_it wrote:
kermut wrote:use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator...with an extra injector and a pressure switch....and as for the ecu...the ecu when it seez boost it leans out your mixtures completely....for a brief second but thats what the extra injectors for!!! everybodys wants to turbo there fto but when they have a chance no1 takes it hahaha
Dreamers ... Everyone wants....

But then the practicality ... I have pondered this though many a times.. But it does not stop at turbo ... FWD + Turbo is going to require LSD ... So there is more cash... + install = More cash ... + Engineer = more cash ... Added to that Insurance = more cash ... etc. etc.

A lot of FTO owners are P plate drivers ... So turbo is out anyway ... The only reason I got the fto was that the Mrs can drive it when she gets off her L's (if that ever happens), and as a guy, I didn't want to have to buy a Mirage or Lancer as my only option for her.... So yeah FTO was the clear winner...

So honestly back to the turbo, and after you go through all that, you are better off buying a car that is already turbo'd and a better platform ... Unless you really love the FTO that much to go ahead with it ...

Not having a dig at anyone here going down the turbo path ... But yeah, I did this to my Sonata, and with all the money thrown at it, it only made me realise more that I should have just bought the Evo and got out a loan ....
I havent put the lsd in my car and its running absolutly sweet. Im not even going to bother about it untill i go for more power.
As for engineer and install, well yes they are all part in parcel of a turbo setup or any mod really. im pretty sure your suppose to get engineered for any mod you do. So if you cant afford to do it then dont...its simple really.

I hope your not taking me the wrong way as i am also not trying to have dig at you but im pretty sure evryone who is considering turbo'ing the FTO, really does love it that much. ANd just cause they are "P" platers doesnt mean that they dont want a turbo FTO, it just means they have to wait longer.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

I8A4RE wrote: I havent put the lsd in my car and its running absolutly sweet. Im not even going to bother about it untill i go for more power.
As for engineer and install, well yes they are all part in parcel of a turbo setup or any mod really. im pretty sure your suppose to get engineered for any mod you do. So if you cant afford to do it then dont...its simple really.

I hope your not taking me the wrong way as i am also not trying to have dig at you but im pretty sure evryone who is considering turbo'ing the FTO, really does love it that much. ANd just cause they are "P" platers doesnt mean that they dont want a turbo FTO, it just means they have to wait longer.
Yep, thats cool ... That could be there option too .. At least by then we may see some more turbo'd FTO's and see how the engine holds up ... Would be good to see some MIVEC turbo's, but what can you do ...

I