amacha at it again

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

amacha at it again

Post by AMACHA »

OK few questions how hard is it to do the following:

Fit a thicker head gasket and what would this do to the compression ratio on a gpx?

Re-Bore The engine again what would this do to the compression ratio on a gpx?

is there suck thing as lower compression pistons for the fto gpx?

Adding a stroker kit?

Will doing all of this ahieve a maximum compression ratio of 9:1?

llast of all after chatting to ftosam, he siad antoehr problem was oil starvation to the heads...is there anything that can be done to combat this?stupid quesiton but would altering compression ratios do anything to this issue?

Also is it sitll a problem if your running oonly 5psi boost?

@ftosam i asked simon in thhe other thread but it owuld be great if you could blueprint your piping for me since mine is a manual likes yours.

Check out this guys

http://www.brmotors.co.uk/ go to feature cars and click on the fto

http://www.brmotors.co.uk/fto/ftorb4.jpg
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/reviews/c ... rocket.htm

I stumbled upon this page a while ago. Very interesting read, regarding what they did with the MIVEC activation point and fuel injectors etc.

Also, their final power figure is a whopping 190kw ATW, with hopes to attain over 200kw in the future.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

check your PMs mate.

my mivec was simply disabled when i turbod my gpx engine.

the reason for failure in my gpx was compression. blew out the rings.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

Firstly :roll: by fitting a thicker head gasket on any engine you will lower the compression ratio.

RPW sell decompression head gaskets for the 6A12 in 1.1mm, 1.5mm and 2mm for a $113 a set.

Before you consider any of this IMO you need to sit down and write out a list of what your trying to achieve and consider your budget.

I personally would take an approach similar to simon's. I would run a single turbo in a low boost, high compression set up, to maximise low down torque and to eliminate any lag. In the end its up to you, thats just my 2 cents worth ;)
KJ_bob
Mechanic

Post by KJ_bob »

pete_gpx wrote:http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/reviews/c ... rocket.htm

I stumbled upon this page a while ago. Very interesting read, regarding what they did with the MIVEC activation point and fuel injectors etc.

Also, their final power figure is a whopping 190kw ATW, with hopes to attain over 200kw in the future.
Thats heaps interesting... they didn't say much about compression ratios though

In relation to oil starvation, dont the new corvette's have some kind of oil pump to prevent oil starvation in there engines... the said that they had problems with starvation when cornering because they could corner with forces of over 1g... so the oil pump was the solution

does that sound right?
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

the LS7 runs a dry sump....

Different kettle of fish

AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

FtoSam wrote:check your PMs mate.

my mivec was simply disabled when i turbod my gpx engine.

the reason for failure in my gpx was compression. blew out the rings.
ahh kk let me know how much amte first..

If i fitted a decompression head gasket, andbored out the engine to lower the compression ratio, would running 5psi boost be ok you think? How much were you running at the time sam?Also you said your mivec system was disabled....evolutions are mivec turbo...does that mean it is possible to have mivec still going at the time?or is this for the tuner to decide? Would it be better to jsut run the mivec camshaft lobes the whole time?
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

MIVEC was disabled by the tuner as it just gets in the way...

He played around with moving it, but in the end got rid of it.

It did however cause some of the dramas...

The EVOs run a different type of mivec. plus they're built like it from factory...

i'd say a decomp gasket should be all you need... 9.5:1 or 10:1 should be fine..

boring out your engine will be a very $$$$ process... decomp gasket is relatively cheap if you do all the labour...

i was running 7psi in my old engine to produce around the 170kw mark.

i'd say with a decomp gasket, 7psi would be quite safe.

AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

FtoSam wrote:MIVEC was disabled by the tuner as it just gets in the way...

He played around with moving it, but in the end got rid of it.

It did however cause some of the dramas...

The EVOs run a different type of mivec. plus they're built like it from factory...

i'd say a decomp gasket should be all you need... 9.5:1 or 10:1 should be fine..

boring out your engine will be a very $$$$ process... decomp gasket is relatively cheap if you do all the labour...

i was running 7psi in my old engine to produce around the 170kw mark.

i'd say with a decomp gasket, 7psi would be quite safe.
ohh ok i see, well i haev lookd around and the bigest head gasket i could find was 2mm form RPW would this be suitable?

Now are there stroker kits available and how much are these?

I take it no decompression pistons?

The place i contacted said that whe nthey tune it they would make mivec tick in at 2500rpm and also alter the throttle body and camshafts, this place is called rajab performance and they said they have done this before on a FTO and it is still running.

Here is there website:
http://www.rajabracing.com.au/services.html

Oh and another thing....I havea full exhaust 3inch so ready for turbo, high flow ca t extractors and a heavy duty sports tuff clutch...Will anyhting else need to be changed for a turbo running 5-7psi?I already have an LSD as well, do any of the Cv joints etc need to be changed to better ones?

Also i got the veilside front can anyone reccomentd any cheap intercoolers lol that look nnicee.?

This is what i am buying from RPW:
http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?pa ... &Itemid=31

and also this

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?pa ... &Itemid=31

I was thinking of getting the 2.00mm Shim

and also the 2.2mm MLS Head Gasket it says 2.2 will decompress by 1.5..

What do you guys think is getting both overkill and will tehre be any side effects to have both on there?

that will make it 4.2mm thick in total opposed to the standard .8mm so were increasing the room there by 3.4mm

Thanks guys
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I'd be just bolting the turbo up & running low poundage. You start pulling heads off & adding decom gaskets & stroker kits you're effectively rebuilding the entire engine. Sure a set of decom gaskets is $113 bucks, but there's 10 hours of labour (at say $80/hour) to do the job. Stroker kit? Thats engine out, stripped to bare bones & rebuilt. New rings, new crank bearings, complete overhaul gasket kit with half moon seals, cranks seals, oil pumps, timing belts etc etc etc etc. Think 10 grand.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Bennoz wrote:I'd be just bolting the turbo up & running low poundage. You start pulling heads off & adding decom gaskets & stroker kits you're effectively rebuilding the entire engine. Sure a set of decom gaskets is $113 bucks, but there's 10 hours of labour (at say $80/hour) to do the job. Stroker kit? Thats engine out, stripped to bare bones & rebuilt. New rings, new crank bearings, complete overhaul gasket kit with half moon seals, cranks seals, oil pumps, timing belts etc etc etc etc. Think 10 grand.
^^^^^^^^ agreed
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

Bennoz wrote:I'd be just bolting the turbo up & running low poundage. You start pulling heads off & adding decom gaskets & stroker kits you're effectively rebuilding the entire engine. Sure a set of decom gaskets is $113 bucks, but there's 10 hours of labour (at say $80/hour) to do the job. Stroker kit? Thats engine out, stripped to bare bones & rebuilt. New rings, new crank bearings, complete overhaul gasket kit with half moon seals, cranks seals, oil pumps, timing belts etc etc etc etc. Think 10 grand.
ok but i dont want to see what happened to sams engine happen to mine....I have decided to go for the following setup after tlaking to a mate who works at ralli-art mitsubishi.

he said to retain strength in a head gasket dont go over a 1mm and you MLS. He said after 1997 mitsubishis came with a 0.3mm MLS head Gasket.

He said buy two of these and get two steel 2mm spacers. That way i have made the strongest possible 2.3mm Decompression Head Gasket.

Ben ill shout you 20 slabs of beer if you do my Head Gaskets For Me :D

I have Decided to go for a Gt-25R turbo as well and ill run 5psi.

I was talking today to an fluid engineering place i know through uni and they said instead of making the oil return line based on gravity they go they can design a pump that forces it in to the sump. This would only cost the cost of materials as well, sicne they will do it as a favour to me.