6x9 Recommendations

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

KillaFlop
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

6x9 Recommendations

Post by KillaFlop »

I've fed up with my Alpine TypeS 6x9z, it's the second time they are cracked and i don't usually crank it up that high so was wondering if other ppl had any good with other brands?

I'll be running the speakers str8 from the head unit which is an Alpine 9807 MP3 unit, so no 7x10s or anything i guess :roll:

the main thing 4 me is bass, was looking at a pair of Rockfords and some JL audios but wondering if there is any better out there??? :?:
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

Invest in an amp!

I've just purchased a JL Audio e3400, running off the stock head unit and into a pair of 6.25" JBL fronts and 7x10" Kenwoods at the rear.

the sound quality is amazing. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Instant improovement to bass, mid and clarity up top. Sounds like a su as i've re-engineered the back parcel shelf/boot area, so that it acts like a sub enclosure. Helps with the boom!

Good luck though, the reasons your speakers could be blowing is the cleaness of the power your feeding to it. Although, the head deck your using is good, this is something to questions.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

If you want some really kick ass speakers try Diamond Audio Hex series or DLS Ultimate Iridium Speakers.

They not your avarage Retail's speakers (eg: Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony.....etc) So you can't buy them from common car audio shops, & they would set you back at least $1000 a pair, but they are well worth it.

I use to had Alpine Type X & Infinity Kappa in my FTO, they were extremely good, but now i use Diamond Audio Hex series, & i found them better. But thats my opinion :D (I know i get into trouble for saying this)

You can check them out at the following links:

http://www.diamondaudio.com/MobileAudio ... e=Speakers

http://www.dls.se/english/index.htm
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I've got Alpine Type R 6x9s in the rear powered by an Alpine amp. They sound pretty sweet. In fact, a friend of mine always asks me to lower the bass on the headunit cos it's too strong :roll: . IMO, it's very important to run your speakers from an amp because most headunits only provide 4x50W power (which usually is only about 4x19W RMS if you read the fine print in the headunit's manual). Your Alpine Type S are good enough to produce high quality sounds, you're just not running enough power to them.

So I agree with Blk-Jet: GET YOURSELF AN AMP
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

i have Pioneer 6X9's and even before i put my sub in, everyone thought i had a 8 inch in the boot. Endless amounting of harsh use, they still kicked ass :wink: .
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I've got JBL 6x9's 200 or 250w (can't remember which), they're nice.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

200-250w??? I guess thats peak not RMS right???
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

120w RMS
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

really? Thats awesome :D which model is that?
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

thats pretty good.

Not too surprising though, since JBL are one of the most powerful companies for car audio eg. I think they have a amp that has a power ratong of 5000 watts!!!!!!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yeah i've seen the JBL 8110RMS AMP but its so heavy its not funny, from memory it was a join venture with other company to develop it.

Well JBL was one of the brand I was looking at before i got my Diamond Audio, & i don't recall any 120w RMS 6x9, thats why i'm curious which model is that, the largest RMS i've seen they got is P953, which rate at 110 RMS or peak at 330W
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The 6x9's were already in the car when I got it, and I can't find them on JBL's website so they may have been discontinued, but I've managed to find info on them elsewhere.

In the rear I've got JBL200 6x9's @ 120w RMS
http://www.epinions.com/pr-JBL_200_Car- ... full_specs

In the front I've got JBL gto606ce 6.5" splits @ 70w RMS
http://www.epinions.com/pr-JBL_GTO606C/ ... full_specs

I am VERY happy with these speakers, now all I need is an amp to drive them properly :D

The splits make such a big difference to having just a full-range in the door.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

ruchi wrote: The splits make such a big difference to having just a full-range in the door.
And i'm sure you will a lot more different when you drive them through an amp, which brand/model you got in mind?

Ohhh & thax for the speakers info dude. :D
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

amp is a low priority, so I probably wont do anything for a while. The existing head unit is alright 90% of the time, it's only when I really want to crank it up that I wish I had an amp.
KillaFlop
Apprentice

Post by KillaFlop »

thanx 4 the replies, hmmmmm think i will invest in an amp if power straight from the head unit is so crap :(

Maybe Alpine Type R's coz they look so cool and shiny :lol:

Or Kenwood 7x10 HQ's??? *scratch scratch* 8O
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

what is your budget? Personally I'd start with midrange products from Pioneers first, then work my way up from there....
KillaFlop
Apprentice

Post by KillaFlop »

want to spend bout 300-400 on a good set... got a sub but ain't hooked up done think i need that much bass yet :?

anyone dealt with Rockfords?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

KillaFlop wrote:Maybe Alpine Type R's coz they look so cool and shiny :lol:
The Type R's do look good, but you will barely see them through those factory speaker vents. All of my Alpine vents are sitting at home collecting dust.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.