BEST Head Unit??

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lesfto
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

BEST Head Unit??

Post by lesfto »

Just wanted to know what u guyz reckon is the best head unit u've come across or know of?

Ok to be fair, let's not talk about those that cost a few grand... Lets talk about a fairly affordable one, with a basic speaker setup without amps and subs...

Alpine in general stands out for me...

U?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Try Nakamichi, it isn't the best looking deck in the world, in fact properly one of the worst looking, but its one of the best sound quality deck money can buy.

You should able to pick some model up under $1k.

Check them out at the following link:

http://www.nakamichi.com/
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

I'd say the pioneer DEH-MP8500 would be the best one. Mainly because it looks great and ive herd nothing but great reports about it.

It cost $999 for a brand new one, but on sites like ebay etc.. you can get them for about 5/600.

Cheers
Tim
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

When u getting a head unit from ebay, make sure it can pickup Australia's radio, as most of the head units ebayer are from U.S which they use different signals.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I'm not sure which is the best headunit, but I do know that the headunits on the market right now get superseeded every few months or so. So no matter which one you're gonna buy now, a slightly better version will be released pretty quickly. I bought mine in Feb 03 and it was obsolete by June 03 8O .

IMO, the best features on a headunit to look out for:
- mp3/wma playback
- 2 pairs of pre-outs and extra for sub
- random feature
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

I'll agree with rxboy...

something I hadn't counted on, but got lucky with is that my 6 year old stacker still works with my brand new head unit.. gotta love standardisation :) about the only other thing is easy volume control (for passing cops, or answering phones) I'm also definitely a fan of in-dash CD (there are still some units that are stacker only - and in dash MP3 means not needing a stacker :))