New fto owner in WA.

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

boonng
jedwabna poszewka promocja

New fto owner in WA.

Post by boonng »

hey guys, can call me boon. bought my FTO GPX last sep. was deciding between a Supra and a Rx-7, until an FTO caught my eye. no regrets after driving it.

Well of course initiately there were a couple of problems. one would be the Mivec controller which is limiting my engine performance. Gonna get it removed this coming monday. followed by a change of exhaust system. including a hi-flow cat and 2 1/2 inch pipe. was about to change my extracter as well but guess i would improve on the air intake first.

currently still deciding between an Apexi Power Intake and a Blitz Sonic Filter Induction Kit. suggestions anyone?
:lol:
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Hey WTTC :D

Go with the apexi.....heard they do well and boy do they sound good :twisted:

Also, good choice in going with the fto....

you can always give me the mivec controller...it'd be a shame to just throw it away :D
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

WTTC :D get some pics up mate ;)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Re: New fto owner in WA.

Post by aza013 »

boonng wrote: one would be the Mivec controller which is limiting my engine performance.
first WTTC :D

2nd how is the mivec controller limiting your engine performance?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

hey mate WTTC, yeah initial thought on the mivec would be the old alternator problem, have you checked the error codes?

As for pod filter go the HKS ;)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

WTTC! how life in WA?
Personally i would go for Apexi, might cost more but it has resale value if you choose to change to something else! Yeah, im an asian! :lol:
boonng

Post by boonng »

haha thanks for the advices guys. yea i am looking for the Apexi. it seems like i have to import it to australia. haha koolio, i will think about it. currently its in my boot. and yes pics will be out soon. zui, life's good so far. currently studying in curtin. anyone else from curtin?

anyone here do bring your FTO to a racetrack and do time attack? i am about to do that with my friends.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Boon is Noob backwards =P

Welcome ;)

Anyway, it's proven HKS will give you the most performance, also you'll def wanna replace your stock intake pipe, it makes a world of difference (I wanna snap kick myself in the head for not changing mines sooner).
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Oh yeah, HKS are good as well, i remember seeing a comparison done of most of the popular filters and hks topped the bunch in terms of performance with a whopping 12kw gain :twisted:

Apexi and K&N are good as well.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
boonng

Post by boonng »

cool ill check out hks as well. hopefully they do have stock in WA. btw, have anyone upgrade the throttle body? is it any better? what are the increase in performance?

Things i have done to the car:

- Hi-flow cat + 2 1/2 inch exhaust system
- Performance Spark Plugs

Things i am planning to do:

- Apexi Intake Kit (maybe HKS)
- Throttle Body Upgrade
- Porting and Polishing
- Strut Braces
- 3-1 Silver Polished Coated Extracter
- New Brakes

Last Thing to do:

- Turbo

Any suggestions on further improving performance and BHP?
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

seems like all you think of is hardwares....think about the softwares.... 8)
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Extractors with downpipes with a high flow cat and a catback to match is a good upgrade, will cost around 1600-1700 all up including installation.

Also, it's not all about extra bhp, handling goes a long way - You look like you're willing to spend the money so definately look at getting some adjustable suspension. Even the little things like irridium sparkies and magnecor leads will give you better response. As I said before, definately don't look past getting a bigger intake pipe. If you wanna take the intake a little further, look at running your intake pipe all the way down to the bottom of the car, so you pod filter is sitting somewhere behind the bottom of your front bar, there's no heat from the engine there and it'll make a substantial difference.

The very last thing you should do is the ecu, because if you change anything after the ecu is put in you'll have to retune it.

ITB is a very good idea, although that be a bit expensive, I have no idea what it would cost but I'd imagine a fair bit considering the dramatic performance improvement, although the good thing about it is that the gains will scale with any other mods you do.

Edit: Forgot you said turbo - I'm probably wrong here but I havn't heard of ITB + turbo?
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

If you're gonna do this:
boonng wrote: - Turbo
Then don't waste your money on this:
boonng wrote:- Throttle Body Upgrade
- Porting and Polishing
Cause it'll all be a waste of money if you boost it. Trust me, coming from a guy who spent 10 grand making his N/A go as hard as possible, then tossing the lot & putting in a boosted motor...

Oh & WTTC :)
boonng

Post by boonng »

sublime19 wrote:Extractors with downpipes with a high flow cat and a catback to match is a good upgrade, will cost around 1600-1700 all up including installation.

Also, it's not all about extra bhp, handling goes a long way - You look like you're willing to spend the money so definately look at getting some adjustable suspension. Even the little things like irridium sparkies and magnecor leads will give you better response. As I said before, definately don't look past getting a bigger intake pipe. If you wanna take the intake a little further, look at running your intake pipe all the way down to the bottom of the car, so you pod filter is sitting somewhere behind the bottom of your front bar, there's no heat from the engine there and it'll make a substantial difference.

The very last thing you should do is the ecu, because if you change anything after the ecu is put in you'll have to retune it.

ITB is a very good idea, although that be a bit expensive, I have no idea what it would cost but I'd imagine a fair bit considering the dramatic performance improvement, although the good thing about it is that the gains will scale with any other mods you do.

Edit: Forgot you said turbo - I'm probably wrong here but I havn't heard of ITB + turbo?
wow. thanks a lot for the suggestion (: anyone know of a garage who do well porting and polishing in WA? and the estimated cost of it? :roll:
boonng

Post by boonng »

Bennoz wrote:If you're gonna do this:
- Porting and Polishing
Cause it'll all be a waste of money if you boost it. Trust me, coming from a guy who spent 10 grand making his N/A go as hard as possible, then tossing the lot & putting in a boosted motor...

i guess turbo will be out of the question then. hahaha.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

^^^ agreed with the supsention post. Power is awesome but if you improve what the fto is already good at (ie. Handling), it will improve the whole ride. Struts, sways, coilovers would be a good upgrade after/inbetween the power modifications.
boonng

Post by boonng »

lol. oh can someone please explain to me the difference between

65mm Throttle body / Manifold Upgrade Kit

and

Billet 70 / 75mm Throttle Body Upgrade

has anyone DIY their TB?

[/url]
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

the latter will be too big for FTO can someone else please confirm? with the 65mm you will notice huge improvement but any good engineer shop should be able to this to your existing TB at much less cost

easy to replace think there is a DIY somewhere
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, 70mm is overkill. 65mm is ok, but you have to have the opening of the plenum machined to match - hence they sell it as a "manifold / TB kit"

Also not really worth doing unless you've got a tuneable ECU / piggyback. Wont get the most out of it.
Fulltiltorgasm
Grease Monkey

Post by Fulltiltorgasm »

Bennoz wrote:If you're gonna do this:
- Porting and Polishing

good tips, would indeed be a waste of money, lol
Ouch imagine what you could of done with that $10 grand if u had of turboed it in the first place, lol :roll:,

btw bennoz did u get those 3-1 extractors i think rpw do them, if so what u do reckon about em, well worth it ????