Clarion DXZ835MP or CDX-M850MP?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Clarion DXZ835MP
56%
CDX-M850MP
44%

Total votes: 9

Guni_GuGu
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Guni_GuGu »

As the topic states, what do ya'll think?? I basically have a choice between either, and I'm tossing up between both... I think the Sony one looks better, but I think the clarion one, is just the better deck paper wise, with all it's features. Also, the Clarion one, can play WMA files, and I don't really have lots of WMA's, but I do have a few.... But i have lots and lots of mp3's...

As I said, I can get either..... WHat do ya'll recommend?

For those not in the know, heres the sony:
Sony-CDX850MP

and heres the clarion:
Clarion-DXZ835MP
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well you just have to ask yourself, will you be expanding your sounds system later on (eg; DVD, TV Screen, AMP, 5.1 ch processor.......etc)

I believe the Clarion will give you better solution if you decide to expand your sound system later on. While the Sony is a better looking by far with limited feature.

The best person to speak to in Vic (since u in Melb) is DZYRME, PM him & i'm sure he point u to the right direction.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

the sony's not that limited... aux input, stacker control, groovy display...

it's also got a nice high-pass filter for the main speakers, making it easier to tune the mains and subs to get a smoothe, sweet sound - also less main speaker distortion as they/the head unit aren't trying to make sub-bass. (but that's getting technical)

oh... and the Sony DSO rocks! :D:D:D
jester
Grease Monkey

hmmm

Post by jester »

Hey Guni_GuGu :D

If it helps at all ive got -
the clarion -DB336MP

its a step down from the one u want to get ( and $400! cheaper) :o

it still plays MP3, WMA and all the rest.... I love it, its great. The sound is very crisp and clear. It peforms any way u want it 2 with no struggle.

As mine is probalbly the mid entry level decks the one u want will prob sound even sweeter! but done 4get your amp/speaker config thats crucial 2.
Im a big fan of sony 2....

but clarity is clarion! ( :roll: :roll: :lol: )
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

The Clarion deck is by far the best choice out of the 2. It is regarded as the best deck available for under $800. It features DUAL 24-bit for optimal sound quality and it also outstanding value for money.
I have the previous version of that deck which in my opinion has a better physical finish to the desk (brush finish) but it doesnt support Mp3.
You would be a fool to go with the Sony deck.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

max power tested some decks which were under 300 pounds.

The results were;

Pioneer DEH P7500MP (36/40) than JVC KD LH3101 (33/40) and 3rd was Alpine CDA 9812RB (31/40)

The sony was pretty dissapointing with 24/40

Clarion was better with 27/40

Unfortunately they were not the exact same decks you want

They tested the SONY CDX M800 and the CLARION DXZ838RMP.

hope that helps :wink:
21mrk
Grease Monkey

Post by 21mrk »

Im a big fan on sony, and always have been. I know some people say that are crap compared to other big name brands, but I have all sony gear in my fto and it sounds great compared to my friends tx5 fusion and pioneer setup that sounds crap..

I always thought fusion was good, but my sound sounds better :?

Also, the sony is visually better looking and that plays a big part for me :lol:
it has to look good and sound good.
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

My experience with lower end Sony stuff is that's it's not worth the price. I've heard the higher priced stuff is better but I can only comment on what I've sampled. My mate had an entry level Sony setup and he ended up changing it all for Alpine gear. I didn't think there'd be much of a difference but to say I was shocked would be an understatement. :o
[img]http://users.bigpond.net.au/sentry/sig.jpg[/img]
21mrk
Grease Monkey

Post by 21mrk »

wow, I think i need to sample some other gear cause i think my headunit is only entry level, but my speaker/amp and sub are all from the mid to top of the range sonys...

Trouble is you can listen to the systems in the shop, but it dont give you a real good idea cause it sounds completely different in the car...

they should have some demo cars hehe :lol:

would make life easier
FTOluv
Veteran Mechanic

Post by FTOluv »

that max power test doesnt give a proper insight on how good the actual deck is. If your running an amp , that decks power doesnt mean anything. All its doing a spinning a CD and reading from it.

I challenge anyone that can show me a better sound quality deck for that price.
Any other deck in its league is nearly twice its price.

[/quote]
LORIDN

Post by LORIDN »

Well, just to give my personal opinion, I just recently purchased the DXZ-835MP and I reckon it is a really good unit, the sound quality from it is pretty darn good, and I prefer the look of it aswell as you can change the colour of the display to nearly match the colour of your dash, I can't fault it. But then again, I didn't either bother looking at the Sony so I have no idea what the're like
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

ive got the Sony MP80 tray deck. Its pretty good!

Seriously if your not a really keep listener, have a huge amount spend on the amp speakers, you wouldnt notice the difference in sound qaulity. I for one cant notice the difference.

Dech power output means nothnig to me, as i have nothing running off the headunit.

If your running speakers off a headunit, you might as well buy a cheapo deck as you cant compare them to running off an amp, sound so much better!

I think for good sq you'll be better off concentrating more on speakers and amp.
Guni_GuGu
Grease Monkey

Post by Guni_GuGu »

payaya wrote:ive got the Sony MP80 tray deck. Its pretty good!

Seriously if your not a really keep listener, have a huge amount spend on the amp speakers, you wouldnt notice the difference in sound qaulity. I for one cant notice the difference.

Dech power output means nothnig to me, as i have nothing running off the headunit.

If your running speakers off a headunit, you might as well buy a cheapo deck as you cant compare them to running off an amp, sound so much better!

I think for good sq you'll be better off concentrating more on speakers and amp.
Well, I actually went ahead, and got the mp80, for the bling factor alone :) But also, because outside of WMA support, which I really don't need, feature wise, they were very similar...

With that said though, how do I go about connecting this deck? I need one of those loom cable thingies... Where did you get yours from? Or did you just cut yours?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

just go to mivec.co.uk and get the wiring diagram.

i cut the wires and used shrink wrap.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i'd go for the Sony model purely for looks alone, hehe... 8)
Guni_GuGu
Grease Monkey

Post by Guni_GuGu »

payaya wrote:just go to mivec.co.uk and get the wiring diagram.

Eek! I don't wanna cut my wires... so much nicer and neater when done properly....

Where do I even get a sony connection thingy? Can Mitsubishi supply em?
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

supercheap auto sell a number of wiring harness adaptor kits - especially from ISO and car manufacturer specific harnesses to most major brands of stereo connectors....

saw them last time I was browsing around.

can't say I used them myself... insulation tape works fine for me.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Guni_GuGu wrote:
payaya wrote:just go to mivec.co.uk and get the wiring diagram.

Eek! I don't wanna cut my wires... so much nicer and neater when done properly....

Where do I even get a sony connection thingy? Can Mitsubishi supply em?
doesnt look that bad! Strink wrap looks really neat!