custom boot install

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

kl95fto
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

custom boot install

Post by kl95fto »

ok so im making this boot instal and all is great except one part wich is the walls in this pic im about 2 show u ull see what i mean.

http://www.bootinstall.zoomshare.com/al ... _album.css

so he made most of it out of wood but the walls r thay fibre glass or something? my attemt just dont seem 2 fit snug like his do any ideas??

what is it made out of and how can i make mine fit nicly with plywood
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

thats MDF with a vinyl overlay

u'd probably be better off using mdf rather than plywood as well
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

let us k now when you're done..
kl95fto
Grease Monkey

Post by kl95fto »

lol sorry what is mdf

and how would i go about using it?
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

kl95fto wrote:lol sorry what is mdf

and how would i go about using it?
MDF is medium-density fibreboard, unlike your plywood where it has layers of wood glued together, mdf is a breakdown into wood fibres and then formed together into a single board. It is better suited for audio layouts as it is harder and stiffer in comparison to other cheap material so it creates better acoustics

you can pick some at bunnings
kl95fto
Grease Monkey

Post by kl95fto »

i looked it up and it said good for shaping how do i make mine bend and stuff? its just i dont see how he has made his fit so tight where id have gaps ect?? any ideas
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

if your talking about the top of the sidewalls and how they bend out? he has done that by simply cutting the square base of the wall and for the top bit he has cut it to shape and then simply cut an angle on that edge where it meets up with the square piece to bend out.

It may look like a curve because of the vinyl overlay but you cant curve boards of wood

hope that helps ;)
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

went through the pics of this guys install, quite impressive. Not hard at all though, would take me less than 3 hours to do in my woodwork room minus the glueing time

i really wanted to do an audio install for my yr12 woodwork major project but it got declined because it was too easy, making a roll top desk instead, probably about 40x harder lol
kl95fto
Grease Monkey

Post by kl95fto »

thanks guys see how i go over next few days gata wait till i can buy more wood used all cash on mechanic but i think mine will turn out a little more dodgy lol but still will be happy lol.

im very amature with wood work lol

ps will post pics when done
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

cool, cant wait to see how it turns out. Let me know if any problems arise and i may be able to help you out ;)
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

mr charisma why the hell do you have a picture of jeffs beast in your picture under what you write mate?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

nvr2low wrote: mr charisma why the hell do you have a picture of jeffs beast in your picture under what you write mate?
why do you think? ;) 8)
||
VV
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... c&start=60
GR8FTO
Apprentice

Post by GR8FTO »

Hi kl95fto,

I see you have found my boot install :) , its currently out of my car at the moment, if you need anymore pics or help just let me know.

There is no fibre glass work, only a little bog work where the smooth edges are.

The boot install in now all in black carpet, had a problem with the vinyl coming off, didn't use enough glue or wrong type.
kl95fto
Grease Monkey

Post by kl95fto »

hi gr8fto all is going well except the sides how did u mont them brackets?

your outcome looks a lot better than mine will be but im curious on how u did your side walls
kl95fto
Grease Monkey

Post by kl95fto »

sorry mount* them
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

nvr2low wrote: mr charisma why the hell do you have a picture of jeffs beast in your picture under what you write mate?
:facepalm:
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
GR8FTO
Apprentice

Post by GR8FTO »

kl95fto wrote:hi gr8fto all is going well except the sides how did you mont them brackets?

your outcome looks a lot better than mine will be but im curious on how you did your side walls
The side walls are not mounted (Screwed in) they just fit in there perfectly, you can use doubled side tape to hold them in place, but make sure use clean the surfaces up first. Get doubled sided tape form bunnings. (This is what i do)

If you want to screw them in place, get strips of metal from bunnings, choose a thin piece. Place it at the bottom edge of the side wall (Facing the tyre), but make sure metal strip extends 1cm from the base of the side wall.

Screw one side to the base of side wall(Facing the tyre)and then screw extend bit in straight to the base frame. You will not notice it as the tyre lid will cover it.

The only reason I don't screwed in, cause i need room for my fishing gear that's why it out the car :)