Mirage going to FTO

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

da_lot
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Mirage going to FTO

Post by da_lot »

Hi all,
I was thinking about getting an FTO... till I saw the pics in this forum. Now I'm DEFINITELY getting one!!

I've currently got a mirage and was looking for something with some more power. I wasn't going to go the turbo because I'd blow too much on the mirage and it wouldn't be worth it.

Here are my main concerns:
1) I am after some more power. Will an FTO give it to me? (yes pun intended)
2) uhhh fuel consumption - being a 6 and all. I currently get 450km out of a 40L tank - but I'm limited to snail speeds. But I read the thread on fuel consumption and it seems the general consensus is ~ 400-500km out of the 60L tank.
3) I love mitsu's hence I don't want to change. How does the FTO compare to other "performance" cars around the same price range?
4) I'll hopefully be test-driving some in the next few days, maybe over the weekend. What FTO specific things/damage/problems should I be looking out for?
5) Is it possible to sit in the back seats? At all?

Thanks in advance
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

an even better option is get a 1/2 cut and convert your Mirage = a 900kg car with and FTO heart putting out around the 110kws atw :twisted:

Oh and WTTC :D
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Nice upgrade :D

Well compared to a Mirage, hell yea you're gonna get a huge boost. Decent power, depends what you're comparing the power to.

I honestly think you'll be happy with it, not a huge amount of power but enough to keep you interested. There's not much low end torque, at higher revs it's very responsive and you get a bit of power to play with. Take one for a test drive.

Fuel, I get around 580 out of a tank. Some people get as low as 500 or possibly lower, but I drive like a granny :)

As for the Price range - You won't find anything better as a package. Unless you're wanting a 300ZX which is twin turbo, but you'll eat through petrol and they don't look like much unless you spend money on the looks.

The rear seat behind the passanger seat is fine. Sitting behind the driver is out of the question.
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

I also moved from mirage. Heaven and earth difference.

Easily get over 500km per tank. But it likes premium.

Im nearly 6ft and its a squeeze at the back, unless you can stretch your legs to the side.

I love honda. But i seems to buy more mitsu....maybe its the price issue.

Go to www.carsales.com.au and search by "price". From memory, direct competitors should be the prelude, integra VTiR, etc.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Hey, WTTC :)

....I went from a 1998 Mitsubishi lancer MR to my current fto and, it was quite a jump! Its not just the leap in power performance but also the handling is amazing. Take a test drive in one with a mivec engine and you'll see what i mean (you'll have to let it creep above 5500rpm to fully understand).

Fuel consumption, is quite good for a car that has an engine producing around 200HP. I get about 550 km on a full tank but it'll really depend on how you drive it.

Backseats have enough room in them to fit two people but they would have to be short as the roof lies low and it can get cramped on longer trips.

I cant say that its the best sports coupe ever but it was quite advanced for its time and its up there with the best of the best 2L coupe's.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

With fuel consumption, around the 500 mark for a GPX is about right, after your first year of ownership that is...

Reason I say that is that the MIVEC is addictive, you will spend months revving the guts out of it (the car loves it), doing that you will get pretty shocking consumption. But as others have said, it is dependent on how you drive it :)

Anyone who drives them loves them, they are very well balanced. Mine with coil overs can cock either back wheel going over kerbs. That's 911 rivalling chassis stiffness right there :)

Look for roof rust (ANY bubbles, say NO!), windows rattling (easy fix, drive that price down), air con intermittent? Be wary. Tappet noise, drive that price down. Make sure (if it is over 100 k's) that the cam belt has been done, or drive that price down :):)

See where I am going with that? Some problems will make you run a mile (roof rust) but others can help you get a bargain if you are a bit of a DIY'er
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

I spent a few months signed up here just reading before I went and bought mine. You'll learn a lot by particularly going through the FTO Help section (which is generally full of common problems and how to resolve them). I can drive 650kms using 50 litres of fuel with the aircon on (Rockhampton to Brisbane).
Best bang for buck is a manual GPX of either the 96 or 97 models (96 if you like the older front bar and they fixed a few problems from the 94 and 95 models like the rust bubbling roof. 97 model because it comes with ABS and airbags as standard). I haven't driven one of the automatics yet but everyone here feels the triptonic gearbox is excellent.

When you go to buy one though, be aware of the higher insurance costs.
Also check out your relevant state section for reputable repairers and have one of them take a look at it for you before buying just to make sure.

Also keep an eye on the For Sale section as you can get a feel for what stuff is worth as well as possibly picking up an ex club car.
da_lot

Post by da_lot »

Thanks a lot guys. I'll definitely be going for a test drive soon. So pretty much if the roof has bubbles on top don't get it. Any other problems just use them to get a discount :) I like the way you all think haha.