My custom C.A.I

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Tippin
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

My custom C.A.I

Post by Tippin »

Well finally after about 20-30 hours of solid boredom and back aches i have finished my c.a.i and thought i would share some pics of the end result.

I sacked the stock intake piping and used two 90 degree monza silicone pipes (stole the idea for that setup from ben, thanx ben ;) , and at the end I have a 3A racing pod filter (which supposedly showed better results in flow and filtration when compared to hks, k&n, blitz, apexi etc). I used 0.8mm thick aluminium to create an inside box which is airtight, since im on holidays and dont have access to a welder at school i decided to just pop rivet the box and then use gap filler.

Also made a heat shield for the box to keep the hot air separated and to neaten the area up a bit, also made a small plate for the MAF. The heat shield just needs a good polish up now :)

I used 100mm aluminium flexi tubing for the air pipe leading up to the box but got lazy and dind't bother routing it up to the front bumper :( .

Performance wise i feel a big difference in acceleration, especially after replacing the intake piping and putting on the 3A racing filter, after the airbox went in, again i felt a noticable difference in acceleration and a smoother idle. The pod filter sounds absolutely incredible especially in high revs, here's some pics:

Edit: yes, i know i need a new battery :lol:

aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

looks great well done :D
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

some good work there.

bUT would the circle cut cause any damage to the monza 90' pipe over time? As it looks a bit jagged
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

jay6 wrote:some good work there.

bUT would the circle cut cause any damage to the monza 90' pipe over time? As it looks a bit jagged
nah i think it should be right, that stuff is even hard to cut with a hacksaw
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

jay6 wrote:some good work there.

nah i think it should be right, that stuff is even hard to cut with a hacksaw
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Very Nice ;)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Well done buddy. I didn't know you had a GR either.

Just on the point about the jagged edges of the circle cut... you might wanna round them off... cos if it DOES cut through the pipe, little pieces of sh*t might get drawn into the TB, after all it's already past the air filter ya know
Resident Asshole.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Textbook! 8)

But yeah, 2nd the above comments regarding the box cutting into the pipe. You'd be surprised how much the engine moves on standard mounts, it can actually torque twist upto an inch or more backwards which would be good enough ot cut even the toughest of pipes.

Best quick fix would be:
Grab a length of small diametre fuel line (ie 1/4") and slice it open down one side only, then line it around the hole edge & using some sort of adhesive, glue it in place ;)
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

kk, thanx for the advice guys

thats a good idea Ben i'l definitely look into doing that. I need to take the whole thing off anyway to widen the hole, i got home and the pipe actually slipped of the MAF adaptor
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

sorry to sound noob but whats the thing thats connected up to the two blue monza pipes? the black thing not the air filter box
thanks
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

FTO_GPvR wrote:sorry to sound noob but whats the thing thats connected up to the two blue monza pipes? the black thing not the air filter box
thanks
thats the MAF sensor, only GR's have them
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

tippin9 wrote:
thats the MAF sensor, only GR's have them
ok thanks for your help :D
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

Really well done. Looks neat too. I would mount the CAI in the bumper though...made a huge difference to mine. On a side note if you want your battery to last a little longer I would top it up, looks half empty.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Jamie wrote:Really well done. Looks neat too. I would mount the CAI in the bumper though...made a huge difference to mine. On a side note if you want your battery to last a little longer I would top it up, looks half empty.
Can't believe you noticed that mate .. nice spotting ;)
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

Jamie wrote:Really well done. Looks neat too. I would mount the CAI in the bumper though...made a huge difference to mine. On a side note if you want your battery to last a little longer I would top it up, looks half empty.
thanks, however i have decided to scrap the inside box for now as i was having problems with the intake pipe slipping off the MAF sensor so im just using the heat shield now

as for the battery, im looking at getting a dry cell and re-locating it to the boot to free up some space for later on if i decide to do a turbo setup
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Nice work, good to see you gave it a go after all this time. I used silicone in the gap between the box and the intake pipiing. After it sets it should prevent any damage to you intake pipe.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]