My New Soundsystem and AMP

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO_GPvR
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

My New Soundsystem and AMP

Post by FTO_GPvR »

hi guys
i finally got my internet back after a couple week, i went over the usage whiched caused my net to go so slow :evil: and i couldnt go on the club and the net because it would take ages to load. also i dont no what i missed out on.

ok BOT.
roughly about a month ago i installed a new sound system into my FTO.
i got Soundstream Xstream series XTC-6 (6 and a half) Splits
Soundstream Picasso series PCS.69N 6"x9"s 3way
and Soundstream TRX4.880 Tarantula series amp its about 10kgs.

i brought 16mm thick partical board to go into the boot where that black plastic thing was oringally i had to customise it to make it fit into there so it can hold the amp. i was reading before some of you got 3ply wood to hold the amp but my amp wouldnt be able to go onto the 3ply because its quite heavy lol and quite long to it took up all the space. also i didnt have to drill no holes in the car i used the holes that were there already

here are the pictures

the customised board with all the holes so the cables can go through and also glue around it to stick the carpet on

thats the carpet with glue on it

the back speakers

the customised board and all the wiring behind the back seat

the front speakers

and the amp finally mounted

Last edited by FTO_GPvR on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 9 times in total.
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

howcome i cant see the pictures? please help
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

FTO_GPvR wrote:howcome i cant see the pictures? please help
i figured it out dw

EDIT DONE
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

If you go click on "Forums" on the left hand side, then on the next page click "Replies since last visit" it will give you all the posts since the last time you logged in ;)

Nice setup BTW .. Congrats :)
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

mr-charisma wrote:If you go click on "Forums" on the left hand side, then on the next page click "Replies since last visit" it will give you all the posts since the last time you logged in ;)

Nice setup BTW .. Congrats :)
thanks for your help on how to see the posts since the last time i logged on. yeah thanks it was abit hard trying get the board to fit right into place but in the end it worked out good.
oh and btw Congrats on your new car :D better late than never.
Sugar
Mechanic

Post by Sugar »

looks the goods. do you have another fuse in the engine bay?
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

dB wrote:looks the goods. do you have another fuse in the engine bay?
thanks. yeah i do but its not in the engine bay its behind that back seat you can see it in the photos of the board where the cables are its connected up to the blue cable
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

Looks great champ...Good job.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

harry90 wrote:Looks great champ...Good job.
thanks mate :D
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

dude that amp is a whalenormous!
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

looks good but just one thing.... should the fuse not be in engine bay close to battery? reason is if it shorts by rubbing on chassis or somewhere through car it can travel straight back to the batt and then BOOM big hole in your FTO... dont want to scare you but ive seen it happen (not the point of explosion as fire extinguisher was on hand)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

vipfto wrote:looks good but just one thing.... should the fuse not be in engine bay close to battery? reason is if it shorts by rubbing on chassis or somewhere through car it can travel straight back to the batt and then BOOM big hole in your FTO... dont want to scare you but ive seen it happen (not the point of explosion as fire extinguisher was on hand)
umm sorry but i dont get this part "should the fuse not be in engine bay close to battery?" shouldnt it be.... shouldnt the fuse be in engine bay close to battery?
so your saying putting the fuse on the back of the board is a wrong place to put it? correct me. i thought it was in a safe place to put it because its not in the engine bay its out of heat, its mounted up on the board behind the back seat.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

sorry was half asleep :roll:

yeah put it close to battery :D
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

vipfto wrote:sorry was half asleep :roll:

yeah put it close to battery :D
lol thats ok.
umm may i ask why should i put it close to the battery? what will that do
Last edited by FTO_GPvR on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

so the cable between the battery and fuse doesnt burn and start a fire man. that is y you have the smallest amount of cable until the fuse mate. Less cable to burn if their is a problem.
trust me i am a electrician
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

nvr2low wrote:so the cable between the battery and fuse doesnt burn and start a fire man. that is why you have the smallest amount of cable until the fuse mate. Less cable to burn if their is a problem.
ok thanks for your info :D ill see what i can do ok
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

just buy another fuse holder and fuse the same size as the other one and put it near the battery. their is nutting wrong with 2 fuses
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

nvr2low wrote:just buy another fuse holder and fuse the same size as the other one and put it near the battery. their is nutting wrong with 2 fuses
exactly^^ sure i already said that :roll:
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

nvr2low wrote:so the cable between the battery and fuse doesnt burn and start a fire man. that is why you have the smallest amount of cable until the fuse mate. Less cable to burn if their is a problem.
:facepalm: I agree that it is best to have the fuse as near as practical to the battery but your reasoning is a bit far fetched. The main reason is because in the event of the fuse blowing you are left with a much shorter length of cable that is still 'live' rather than a longer length runing through the car. Has nothing to do with cables burning. That should never happen unless you miscalculated your conductor or the fuse size. The main purpose of that fuse should be to protect the cable.

That issue a side good work on the install. The picture of the finished boot install looks tops ;)
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Just ask Ben about not having one at the battery :?