persuasion

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO_dude
jedwabna poszewka promocja

persuasion

Post by FTO_dude »

hey guys!
so ive been a long time lover of ftos. finally its come time for me to buy one!
ive found one close by, very cheap, perhaps a little too cheap.
i went and had a look today and naturally i love it.
but now all of a sudden my father has started to express concerns about reliability, expensive parts and safety.
you can hear the fear in his voice whenever he says japanese import.
i am 18 just about to get my license.
my parents have a concern that im going to be affected by a lack of experience, but i argue that i want a car like this regardless and what better way to get experience than still on my ls.

if anyone can alleviate the fears of a 50-something year old van driver, its you guys.
so please, talk some sense into him!
help!
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Granted it's not a turbo'ed car and you can't go too crazy with it but still, better to learn in a normal car first instead of jumping straight into a sports car as your learner.

I've seen the wonders of people who were on L's on their FTO and then got their P's (not naming who :roll:) at the last cruise.

When you first start driving, everybody has a urge at some point to floor it or do a bit of spirited driving on the roads. You drift away from that maybe after having a close call or two which make you rethink the way you drive, or maybe you've seen something which is an eyeopener, so it's better to drive a car in which your much less tempted.
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Just tell him its nothing more than your average Mitsubishi. Its a Lancer chassis with a Galant engine. Just as reliable as another other Jap car.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

And better handling than a lot out there (so it safer :lol:)

Have you checked out how much insurance is going to be? I would check that out before you even go through with trying to convince him..... you will be shocked
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

sublime19 wrote:Granted it's not a turbo'ed car and you can't go too crazy with it but still, better to learn in a normal car first instead of jumping straight into a sports car as your learner.

I've seen the wonders of people who were on L's on their FTO and then got their P's (not naming who :roll:) at the last cruise.

When you first start driving, everybody has a urge at some point to floor it or do a bit of spirited driving on the roads. You drift away from that maybe after having a close call or two which make you rethink the way you drive, or maybe you've seen something which is an eyeopener, so it's better to drive a car in which your much less tempted.
I agree with most, but not all. When I got my first car, it was a heap of boy racer sh*t, didn't matter what it was, I was going to drive like a nutter.

IMO if you can have a car with superior handling and braking to learn in, then you will be better off. A GR FTO would be a good choice for a learner (that's if you can't get a GS) as they will handle and stop nicely, and with only ~120kw you shouldn't get into too much trouble (even your bargain basement echo or jazz can get to 150+ km/hr easily, so speed is a moot point).

I will be buying my sister a GS FTO when she turns 16 (3 years time) and that's what she will learn in :)

Just my opinion though guys
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

^

Yea, actually that's a good point.

Depends on the individual I suppose, even if he has the extra handling to fly around corners ( :twisted: ) it will work out better in keeping the car in control, or it could go the other way and make him wanna drive it harder all the time.

Anyhow, you can tell your parents that it's not very powerful, print off some information with the kw / hp of other cars and then of the FTO to prove to them that it's more show than go and that might help a bit, but I don't think you can convince them entirely.
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Cassf88
Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

i know the feeling of wanting to have a great car as your fist when u start driving on your own, but i think im on your dad's side. only reason is that my fto is my second car as i wrote off my first one- i got distracted and though it wasnt a massive accident i lost the car. trust me if you like an fto, dont get it as your first car- get something that you wont be totally devestated if you wreck it.

n then, maybe if the time suits, sell the car n get an fto. i dont think an fto is a practical car, especially if you havent driven on your own n havent made on the spot decisions in a car. also, insurance wont be on your side.

just my 2 cents n if your dad allows you to get it, he has a lot of trust in you, dont make him regret it.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

i would have to disagree.

I bought my fto when i was on my learners. and i had no trouble at all. Its no ball tearer but any driver can get their car up to 140km/hr and wrap around a telegraph pole.

The way i thought of it was, i worked my ass off to buy it and there's no way i'd be putting all my money down the drain trying to do some fully sick stunts.

Pros: great handling and drivability, easy to park, its not expensive for a sporty car.

But for a learner take note: watch your blind spot - the fto is a bitch for catching you out. Make sure you take enough time to check your mirrors
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Everyone made good points there, but Cass is right on with the Insurance side of things. Probably is better to start with something simpler.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

I wouldnt recommend FTO as a 1st car. It just sits too low and very bad blind spot. Amateurs drivers are more likely to scape the sides or the bumpers.
Insurance is a problem as 2doors coupe are generally classified as sports car, no matter the engine capacity.

i would recommend getting an old sedan, like corrolla, civic or lancer and drive for 1/2 year. Getting used to the roads, the car's dimensions and abilities and learn to do some car maintenance youself.
FTO is always around for sale. Just be patient. 8)
JD-3193
Grease Monkey

Post by JD-3193 »

i disagree with people that say not to buy a 'good car' as a first car.
i went out and bought an awesome jap car for my first car. had it over a year now. the superior braking saved my life. if i was in a sh*tty commodore i would have gone through the windscreen.
as long as you're planning to drive carefully, park carefully and just be wary in general on the roads, get the FTO.
if you're planning to be like some P platers and thrash the car, scratch it, park carelessly then don't get the FTO.
simple as that.
[url=http://southeastimports.proboards.com/index.cgi][img]http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/44/l_120421ca52b74e9484c84e091ff04c71.jpg[/img][/url]
Melbourne street car scene ^^ represent the FTOs !!
Robbie
Mechanic

Post by Robbie »

in the end, it all depends on what sort of driver you are. i admit, i havnt been driving for that long. my only problem with my car is the roo that hit it. and that wasnt due to me being an idiot in it. i was going 20kmh under the limit, and the braking of the fto saved the car from even more damage, and may have even saved my girlfriend's and mine's life.

but, also your parents have been around for a while. they do know more than what you think they know. Im only 19, and i went through all that with my mum. The only reason i was able to get my fto without my mum trying to stop me (she wanted me to get some $500-1000 sh*t heap) was that i moved out of home at an early age (not saying that you should do that).

Really, no one can stop you from getting what ever you want, unless your parents are getting it for you. All anyone can do is advise you, and hope nothing bad happens from the choice you made.

hopefully, if you do get an fto (or for that matter, any car) that you drive it sensibly, and that you respect the car, and the road.

And NEVER trust the car. No matter what it is.
FTO_dude

Post by FTO_dude »

wow, some really good advice on both sides of the story there. thanks guys

unfortunately it looks like its officially off the cards for now.
perhaps you can help me with something else now.
his greatest concern now is that i wont be able to afford parts. i do have a stable yet low income
he came up with a list of cars that he recommends:
4,000 to 6,000
corolla seca
corona
pulsar
lancer
subaru - he says vaguely
laser
civic
hyundai

what im looking at for now is a celica, integra, impreza.
but he seems to have a problem with all of them.
first of all i honestly cant see the difference in terms of maintenance between the civic and the integra.
how could parts on a korean car be more readily available than on a japanese car?
please guys, share your knowledge!
SILVERFISH
VIC Coordinator

Post by SILVERFISH »

i'm gonna agree with cass,
for your first car buy something that's cheap to repair,
and that you won't be heartbroken if it dies.

then, once you've got a year or 2 of driving experience under your belt,
invest your cash into a car you'll love ;)

i'd recommend the lancer... easy to get parts for, cheap insurance,
and it's a decent platform for modifying if you wanna.

good luck with your search dude
[url=http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13989][img]http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/8793/ftoclick6gx5.png[/img][/url]
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

FTO_dude wrote:wow, some really good advice on both sides of the story there. thanks guys

unfortunately it looks like its officially off the cards for now.
perhaps you can help me with something else now.
his greatest concern now is that i wont be able to afford parts. i do have a stable yet low income
he came up with a list of cars that he recommends:
4,000 to 6,000
corolla seca
corona
pulsar
lancer
subaru - he says vaguely
laser
civic
hyundai

what im looking at for now is a celica, integra, impreza.
but he seems to have a problem with all of them.
first of all i honestly cant see the difference in terms of maintenance between the civic and the integra.
how could parts on a korean car be more readily available than on a japanese car?
please guys, share your knowledge!
From your dad's list. Its obvious that the preferred choice would be the civic, a manual one with VTEC YO!!!!! is manatory. Spare parts are everywhere and any mechanic would have knowledge of it.
Any other cars will cause you to fall asleep while driving. Buy at your own risk. 8)
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Dont get me wrong honda's are brillant cars i have owned a couple in my time. But parts are very costly for them and so is parts for any subaru.

I wouldnt touch Hyundia, but hey thats just me

I would go the toyota celica, i have been driving my misses one round and its a beast. Goes hard great, fuel economy, cheap parts (whole engine for $300), handles brillant and it has the original shocks.

Pulsars are also a good car but unless you get the SSS, lacking big time any sort of power and handling is average

just my 2 cents
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

zuihoujueding wrote:I wouldnt recommend FTO as a 1st car. It just sits too low and very bad blind spot. Amateurs drivers are more likely to scape the sides or the bumpers.
Insurance is a problem as 2doors coupe are generally classified as sports car, no matter the engine capacity.

i would recommend getting an old sedan, like corrolla, civic or lancer and drive for 1/2 year. Getting used to the roads, the car's dimensions and abilities and learn to do some car maintenance youself.
FTO is always around for sale. Just be patient. 8)
sh*t, I have to agree with this too. You will need to develop some spatial awareness with the FTO, the front guards are just so big really and you can't see the edges.

The more I think about it, I would have to say that something like an FXGT Corolla or Levin/Trueno with 4AGE will give plenty of grunt for a new driver and awesome handling to boot.

Parts for Toyotas are a dime a dozen and they are near indestructible (engine wise)

Even if you don't get an FTO, stick around. Lots of people know a heap about Toyotas here :)

Smooth and sleepy

Cassf88
Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

i reckon the lancer will be a good choice, there's plenty of range to choose from n you can get an 2003 model from less than 10K.

i drove an impreza before my fto n i didnt like how fluff it was on the road to be honest. like taking a corner was a constant wonder on losing the back end ( i had the LX version which was the front wheel drive).

n if you want to do up the lancer, lots n lots of aftermarket parts available!!!
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Cassf88 wrote:i reckon the lancer will be a good choice, there's plenty of range to choose from n you can get an 2003 model from less than 10K.

i drove an impreza before my fto n i didnt like how fluff it was on the road to be honest. like taking a corner was a constant wonder on losing the back end ( i had the LX version which was the front wheel drive).

n if you want to do up the lancer, lots n lots of aftermarket parts available!!!
Shh Cass! We are trying to give him cheap options so that he can still get an FTO relatively soon down the track :)

IMO get a Toyota, don't modify it. Get some experience then step up to an FTO.

Smooth and sleepy

harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

I bought my fto just as i got my provisionals and had to convince my parents. Just dont drive like a fool and you will be fine and wont have any probs.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]