Transmission Oil and litre?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

milspec5R
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Transmission Oil and litre?

Post by milspec5R »

Hi guys, I am a brand spankin' newbie to this forum. I have a 1996 Fto Gpx 5spd manual. I need to know what sort of transmission oil I should be using, and also, does anyone know if the engine is a 2.0 or 2.4. Any help would be really appreciated.
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

engine is 2.0
Last edited by topao on Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milspec5R

Post by milspec5R »

Okay, thanks.
Now, I have taken from another post that Redline 5w30 is the way to go in regards to engine oil, that's fine...do-able. I can't find any information on transmission oil though, and also, I need to know what oil and fuel filters I should be using. It's frustrating as most company websites don't have FTO in their search engines!
milspec5R

Post by milspec5R »

Ok, so, Coopers WZ411 is both fuel and air filter, as stated in their cattlogue?
If that's right, I just need to find some transmission oil, and I'm set.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

2.2L of 75w90 or 85w90 gearbox oil should do the trick.
milspec5R

Post by milspec5R »

Okay, should that be Redline stuff as well?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

milspec5R wrote:Okay, should that be Redline stuff as well?
Doesn't have to be redline.. but if you can justify the cost & don't mind paying that much for it, then Redline is really good ($170 for 4L)

I just got some Royal Purple to go in mine & it is supposed to be really good too ($40 per L)

You could try something like Nulon, or Castrol or something if you want to pay less, but I haven't really heard / read much about them
howc
Grease Monkey

Post by howc »

using redline gear oil and engine oil now.
gear changing becomes a lot smoother as compared to the previous gear oil.

Engine rev is a lot much more smoother with redline engine oil however it gives me a very coarse feeling.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mr-charisma wrote:
Doesn't have to be redline.. but if you can justify the cost & don't mind paying that much for it, then Redline is really good ($170 for 4L)

I just got some Royal Purple to go in mine & it is supposed to be really good too ($40 per L)

You could try something like Nulon, or Castrol or something if you want to pay less, but I haven't really heard / read much about them
$170 then your being ripped off RRP. I dont pay any more than $100 for ~5L (5 qts)
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

khunjeng wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:

$170 then your being ripped off RRP. I dont pay any more than $100 for ~5L (5 qts)
You sure you're thinking of Gearbox oil?
Redline priced it @ RRP $138 for 4 Quarts (just under 4L) when I called last week..

The cheapest I've found is Burson's @ $139 for 4L..
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mr-charisma wrote:
khunjeng wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:

Redline priced it @ RRP $138 for 4 Quarts (just under 4L) when I called last week..

mate I think I would know, then again I never buy from those places, all online and I just bought 6 qts of 5w30 for $100. another 6 of 10w40 and some gb oil also, I posted the link in the oil thread.

also I get a biggets discount.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

khunjeng wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:
khunjeng wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:

mate I think I would know, then again I never buy from those places, all online and I just bought 6 qts of 5w30 for $100. another 6 of 10w40 and some gb oil also, I posted the link in the oil thread.

Might wanna go back up & re-read, my posts (& prices) are for gearbox oil NOT engine oil..
howc
Grease Monkey

Post by howc »

i visited the online store which khunjeng posted on the forum.

i've just checked the prices. its $26 per quarts for redline engine oil and $27 per quarts for redline gb oil.

i paid that much for my case
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mr-charisma wrote:
khunjeng wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:
khunjeng wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:

Might wanna go back up & re-read, my posts (& prices) are for gearbox oil NOT engine oil..
Its the same price
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

howc wrote:i visited the online store which khunjeng posted on the forum.

i've just checked the prices. its $26 per quarts for redline engine oil and $27 per quarts for redline gb oil.

i paid that much for my case
exactly...
yannino
Grease Monkey

Post by yannino »

what does redline mean anyway?
Turning heads one person at a time =]
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

yannino wrote:what does redline mean anyway?
redline is the brand name just like castrol or shell etc
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI