rim size on fto's??(newbie)

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

Not quite. The GX is a facelifted GR. They pretty much stopped production of the GR late 97 & the GX took its place.

Major changes:
Facelift front bar (obviously not on that car)
Front control arms rear mounts upgraded
Slightly larger swaybars (to match GPX)
63mm Throttle body
Slight retune (with TB gave approx 10 more HP than the old GR)

There's not many in the country, during the FTO boom time (late 90's to early 2000's) most importers stocked up on 94/95/96 GPX's & GR's. Then when the imports laws changed from SEVS to RAWS there was a 2 year break before anyone became RAWS accredited to bring in FTO's again. Now that there are plenty of people bringing them in again, they are preffering to buy up late GPX's & GPvRs as the manufacturing numbers of those cars was quite high towards the end of the run.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Wow those guys talk so much crap in that video. It's a nice looking car though.
Rambo
Grease Monkey

Post by Rambo »

yeah im excited to work on this car.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I have 215/45/17 tyres on my wheels that don't fit on my car with the lowered springs.

Should I get some proper spacers with the proper lip for the wheels to sit on so they're not resting on the studs? Or should I just get some lower profile tyres? The tyres I've got have 99% tread on them .. so I don't really want to have to replace them just yet..
What do you think?
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

i got 215/45 17 on mine micheal mate and mine are fine but i cant put the bozz speed bar on other wise it like sits on the road lol gotta gt 18's
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Get some rims with a smaller offset (ie dished outwards more.)
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Bennoz wrote:Get some rims with a smaller offset (ie dished outwards more.)
New Rims aren't really an option either .. more expensive than new tyres & I like the ones I have..
Anyone know how likely it is to be defected for the spacers?
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Can't you just get the spacers engineered/certified?
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

FTEvolution wrote:Can't you just get the spacers engineered/certified?
nah, i wouldn't think so... instead of specifying which types of spacers should and shouldn't be illegal, they just banned ALL of them.. typical knee jerk reaction.. what do the polly's care? they don't need them on their taxpayer funded Gov't cars..
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

i have never heard of anyone getting done for spacers
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

I8A4RE wrote:i have never heard of anyone getting done for spacers
People get done for it here all the time, but at least we can certify our cars for them
2.2(5) The complete assembly of tyre, wheel, hub, and axle must be compatible with the vehicle on which it is fitted, and:

(a) the wheel must be securely attached to the hub; and
(b) adequate clearance must be allowed for the brake, hub, suspension and steering mechanism, and body parts; and
(c) the wheel must be compatible with the tyre for rim profile, flange height and valve fitment; and
(d) a wheel spacer forming part of the assembly, whether original equipment or installed after manufacture, is a modification to which 3.1 applies, unless approved for the purpose by the vehicle, wheel or axle manufacturer.
3.1 Modification
3.1(1) A modification to a vehicle affecting its wheels, hubs or axles or any of their components:

(a) must not prevent the vehicle from complying with this rule; and
(b) must, if the vehicle is a motor vehicle, be certified as specified in Land Transport Rule: Vehicle Standards Compliance 1998.
3.1(2) Retrofitting of a tyre pressure control system to a motor vehicle must be accompanied by documentary evidence indicating that the equipment has been installed in accordance with the equipment manufacturer’s instructions, unless the tyre pressure control system is independent of the vehicle’s compressed air system and is designed only for tyre pressure monitoring or maintenance purposes, or both.

3.1(3) The fitting of wheel spacers to a vehicle is a modification that requires certification, unless the vehicle, wheel or axle manufacturer approves their use for a particular vehicle.

3.1(4) A blank tyre case manufactured for hand-grooving may be hand grooved as a second stage of manufacture, provided that the completed tyre complies with 2.3. This hand-grooving does not require certification.

3.1(5) The fitting of a tube of an appropriate size into a tubeless tyre, for whatever purpose, complies with this rule and does not require certification as a modification to the tyre, if:

(a) this practice is allowed by the tyre manufacturer; and
(b) after the tube has been fitted, the tyre complies with section 2.
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/tyres-and ... -2001.html

Our Land Transport Safety Authority guidelines on Wheel and Tyre modification and certification. Hope that sheds some light on the situation. I assume that the Aus legislation would be similar, then again, everything varies by state right?
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

nathan
Grease Monkey

Post by nathan »

hi, well im runnin 18s with 205/35/r19 tyres yep 19, i have absolutly no idea how thou, the scrub i realli little bit, but i have coil overs that are fairly low . . . i looked at buyin this car but it was like $16k??? i think :?
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

nathan wrote:hi, well im runnin 18s with 205/35/r19 tyres yep 19, i have absolutly no idea how thou, the scrub i realli little bit, but i have coil overs that are fairly low . . . i looked at buyin this car but it was like $16k??? i think :?
Guard lipping isn't overly expensive, far cheaper than replacing a set of 19" tyres 8O

Think there are mobile services too, seen it advertised in Hot4's

Smooth and sleepy

alekazam
Mechanic

Post by alekazam »

I got mine done for free at the tyer shop when I bough my whees but I did pay $3800 for the whees :oops: