to Supercharge or to turbo

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

WILL
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by WILL »

RPW did try to make a supercharge kit for the FTO (two years ago), but they stopped it because, apparently on their testing they blew an engine or gearbox. As a result they opt for a twin turbo.....and then back to a single turbo instead.
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

Hi Venus,
I`m in Brissy to and have spent some time checking things out. I race my FTO already,( check out www.mgccq.org.au and go to results, the 19th picture down on the right.).
Hardcore racing at Moss st slacks creek, will do a custom job, they quoted me $10,500 for a T28BB with intercooler upgraded injectors fuel pump, mitec engine management, and all the piping. Subzero on the coast weren`t to interested in doing a custom job, a lot of other workshops just refused outright. I`m at the stage of trying to decide to go for the 6A13 transplant as well. We should get together, see if Hardcore will discount for the two. If you wish to contact me email me, or come to the next hillclimb April 25th at Mt Cotton, or the sprints April 24th at Willowbank.
Jeff
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

In the UK Tony Banton has been fitting a Supercharger to his FTO. He started over two years ago and it was running. Unfortuately the internals couldn't take it and it damaged one of the pistons. The last I heard was that he had ordered forged internals from RPW and was waiting for them to arrive. He started with a 4 speed tip in his car and then upgraded to a 5 speed tip box.

Brian
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hmmm, i never knew RPW made forged pistons for the 6A12... How much are they?
Hellsmurf
Apprentice

Post by Hellsmurf »

scracy wrote:Also supercharging puts a hell of a lot more stress on gearboxes driveshafts clutches etc. because the power gain whilst not as high overall as turbo charging is instantanious,not as progressive as turbo charging.Both methods of forced induction have their advantages and disadvantages.
well, it depends on what type of supercharger we're talking about - there's the positive displacement type (the "blower"), which is the instant full-on boost type, or the progressive ones, in which the boost rises linearly like in a turbo...

i will agree that generally a supercharger is less powerful than a turbo though, due to their design...

back on topic though, it *is* far easier to strap a turbo on...
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

GPXXX wrote:hmmm, i never knew RPW made forged pistons for the 6A12... How much are they?
It was mentioned on the FTO turbo thread but they never mentioned a price.
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... &start=100
Mitsiman wrote:RPW is now stocking CP Forged pistons for the V6 engines in both stock high compression, low compression (For forged) and also the larger 6A13 engine in both high and low compression.
Brian
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

As promised, i will post up any info once i got my reply from C.A.P.A about a supercharge unit for FTO

Scott from C.A.P.A said an Eaton M-62 should be the ideal supercharger for FTO. I'm trying to find out more about this unit, & how much the total cost for a custom complete unit. So i will keep everyone inform as soon as I get further infomation.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

Will it even fit a fto?

Most people say, it doesnt have any room inside a fto.
Hellsmurf
Apprentice

Post by Hellsmurf »

that's (yet) another disadvantage to supercharging: no matter what type supercharger you get, it will need to be installed in line with the engine belts, as this is what provides the boost :D

whereas a turbo can be mounted pretty much anywhere where you can run the exhaust manifold piping to...its still difficult to fit a turbo in the engine bay of an FTO, but a lot easier than a supercharger...

basically, as (i think) ruchi said earlier in the thread, ANYTHING can be done, providing you have the money and the dedication... :)
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

I have some pics of a supercharged eclipse which looks like it could work with the FTO.The supercharger is not on the side of the belts either. Does anyone wanna host it for me?
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

Here is a picture of the Supercharger on Tony Banton's GR (dubbed SIVEC)

I hope he doesn't mind me hosting the picture, it was taken from one of the SmartGroups FTO albums.

Brian
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

By the looks of that pic, he must have had plenty of hours figuring out the piping. :lol:
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

Hi Guy’s,

Just an example, this is a supercharged eclipse. I think using this same sought of system would work well with the FTO.
I think a lot of people are under the impression that the supercharger has to be on the same side as the belts. But this is not the case at all.

Just giving people ideas.
:wink:

salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

Do you know anything more about the Supercharger?

I never realised the the Eclipse engine bay was so similar to the FTO. Mitsubishi tend to put the gearbox on the other side on most of its cars hence why engine swaps for the FTO are a little difficult. You only have a couple of years when the Galant and others had the same layout.

Brian
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

[/url]http://www.rippmods.com/japan/white3g.a ... eId=65[url]

Found it here. Yep looks like the new Eclipse is just as cramped under the bonnet as the FTO and they have managed to make a supercharger kit for it.

I recon by using a similar design to this it would not be all that hard to do this. (IF only i had the $$) :cry: [/url]
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

it shouldn't be too suprising, the Eclipse is either a descendant or very close relative of the FTO.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

I think the engines on the new Eclipse are mounted on their passenger side, whereas the previous model (ala TFATF) have 4G63B motors mounted on their driver's side...
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

thpppppbbbbbbbbbb
does mine eyes decieve me?? a turbo, supercharged eclipse!?!?

I never thought it even possible to do such a thing... :|

Tim
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

TimmyD wrote:thpppppbbbbbbbbbb

Tim

pretty sure there's a pov pack eclipse wihtout turbo.

and yeah people from time to time do supercharge and turbo a car
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

TimmyD wrote:thpppppbbbbbbbbbb

Tim
I think u mistaken the supercharger as a turbo charge :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.