Exhaust and TB

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Dras
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Exhaust and TB

Post by Dras »

I am keen to add a cat back 2.5" exhaust system to my FTO and possibly get the throttle body bored out.

I have a mortgage and a wife so I am hoping to get it done on the cheap and preferably somewhere near Castle Hill (Sydney).

Anybody have any suggestions as to places that would do it and how much I should pay?

Cheers
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

for exhaust in your area someone in NSW should be able to help ;)

as for TB i have one in local engineering shop atm they are enlarging TB and manifold to 63mm with plenum to suit and fitting brass butterfly cost will be around $150 at most

any good engineer should be able to this for you much cheaper than the RPW version of $500+
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

I'm unsure of how prices up here (Toowoomba) will reflect on prices down in Sydney, but just today I had an exhaust system fitted.

Muffler King fitted a cat-back, mild steel, machine bent system with 2.5 inch piping, a high flow Mercury muffler, resonator and a 3.5 inch chrome tip of my choice for $400, inclusive of parts and labour.

I was informed that if I was after Mandrel bends, I would be looking at $150 more. A stainless steel system was around double the price of the mild steel.

As far as I can tell, there is a lot of debate over both Mandrel in comparison to machine and mild in comparison to stainless. However, I was not after a hardcore performance system, having a fairly conservative budget. I was happy just in knowing that I would have my exhaust leaks fixed, while at the same time getting an upgrade.

In the end, if you want to keep it budget, I guess it's up to you on how far you want to go in the way of durability and performance. Mandrel bends give you smoother bends with higher flow capactivy, while stainless steel gives you increased durability and apparently also has superrior heat containment, aiding the exhaust gases to flow. Superior brands of mufflers and different styles of resonators will also affect the overall cost of the system.

I recommend travelling around to a few exhaust shops in your area and getting a few quotes. Most places will take a look under the car and give you a free quote. Discuss different brands of mufflers etc. with them and see what they have available.

Keep in mind that I am no expert. Any knowledge I have has been passed down or gained via research.
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

Thanks for that pete_gpx.

How are you finding the upgrade? Is it a noticeable difference?
harry90
Oldtimer

Re: Exhaust and TB

Post by harry90 »

Dras wrote:I am keen to add a cat back 2.5" exhaust system to my FTO and possibly get the throttle body bored out.

I have a mortgage and a wife so I am hoping to get it done on the cheap and preferably somewhere near Castle Hill (Sydney).

Anybody have any suggestions as to places that would do it and how much I should pay?

Cheers
Go to guildford. There is an exhaust shop called western mufflers and they charge very litle for quality work. None of that bullshit about extra cost for extra work. They give a set price to get the job done. I have been there twice and highly recomend.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

i have one I'm selling

65mm bored out TB $200
Polished up to look shiny :) (lots of hours of work)
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

um micheal mate feel like selling it to me mate. and we can maybe work out a deal with that front bar lol.
is the outside diameter the same mate. do i need to run a piggyback for this mate.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

nvr2low wrote:um micheal mate feel like selling it to me mate. and we can maybe work out a deal with that front bar lol.
is the outside diameter the same mate. do i need to run a piggyback for this mate.
piggy back will just help with the tuning of it but you already have one for your conversion dont you?
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Dras wrote:Thanks for that pete_gpx.

How are you finding the upgrade? Is it a noticeable difference?
The sound is a little louder at low revs, although not as deep as I would have liked. However, this will depend on the brand of muffler and type of resonator you decide on. At high revs it kicks in with a bit of a louder scream then before and feels like it has a little more pull up top. The tip looks a lot more stylish then the standard exhaust, I feel.

Overall, I think I may have benefited from either choosing a different muffler and/or resonator and possily having a new catalictic converter installed at the same time.

However, I have read that exhausts can take a little while to 'break in', developing a deeper tone over time.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

nvr2low wrote:um micheal mate feel like selling it to me mate. and we can maybe work out a deal with that front bar lol.
Wont work on a 6A13.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

oh ok why is that benny mate. i put the throttle body off the 6a12 onto the 6a13 as the idle controller plugged snapped off.

i still have the 6a13 if i need to put it back on
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

nvr2low wrote:oh ok why is that benny mate. i put the throttle body off the 6a12 onto the 6a13 as the idle controller plugged snapped off.

i still have the 6a13 if i need to put it back on
Not sure why it wouldn't work, but .. you're probably better off going with a billet Throttle body replacement like mine .. I think my one is 80mm or so..

Mine has a custom Intake manifold and massive intake piping, so 80mm might be a bit overkill for yours, so it might only be worthwhile to go 3", or 68mm or something depending on your intake piping size..

..I thought we already had an arrangement with the front bar? ;) :P
..I'm keen to get that down here ASAP mate .. got some new shiny toys to add to it :)
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

yeah mate i just pulled the front bar off the car mate gonna try and send it soon just need to make sure my other bar is ready to go on mate.

Pm a business address mate so i can get it on a courier mate.
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

mr-charisma, i PMed you regarding parts you might have for sale but you have not yet replied. In one of your posts you mention having the following for sale:

2.5" Mandrel Bent exhaust (Fujitsubo)
High flow Metal Cat
65mm B0r3d out throttle body
Unichip Type A

Could you let me know what is still up for grabs and for how much?

Cheers
MR2YEN
Grease Monkey

Re: Exhaust and TB

Post by MR2YEN »

harry90 wrote:
Dras wrote:I am keen to add a cat back 2.5" exhaust system to my FTO and possibly get the throttle body bored out.

Cheers
Go to guildford. There is an exhaust shop called western mufflers and they charge very litle for quality work. None of that bullshit about extra cost for extra work. They give a set price to get the job done. I have been there twice and highly recomend.
Do you the the dual cannons that i sold you on the car now harry? how are they and how much was fitting?