mitsubishi RVR

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

howc
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

mitsubishi RVR

Post by howc »

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotiv ... esult=true

Thinking of changing my ride to this.. however down here in WA, RVR cost a bomb. So im thinking of transporting one over to WA. so i got a few qns about buying it from other states and the money involves.

Is it easy to register it under WA?
how much would it cost to register it?
transport fees?
any reviews on RVRs?
maintenance cost of RVRs?

or anyone can give me a guide on registering car from other states.

Last but not least.

Selling my fto!

1995 fto gpx

odo 172+++
Timing belt, water pump, idle pulley, tensioner, p/s belt, air con belt, altenator idle pulley just changed 1000~1500km ago.

New EBC green stuff and RDA slotted rotors also less than 1500km
New Bendix rear pad for the back

Engine oil and transmission oil changed 4000kms ago. Redline engine oil and Redline transmission oil was used.

Air con regassed.

Radiator flushed.

2 new front Bridgestone potenza adrenaline tyres. Top range for street.

New silicon wiper.

6k HID light installed

Short shifter from RPW.

POD filter

Asking for $9300 o.n.o
Will post pics later.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Don't know about your rego or freight info ...

But ... Get the RVR ...

I was going to get one, but could not fit it infront of the GSR/Evo in the garage... And didn't want to park it out on the street ...

They are the Evo engine, so there are parts galore, which make them pretty cheap to look after... Just gotta remember to keep changing the Dif oil and stuff, and remember that your tyres will wear out, and you will need to replace 4 and not just 2 ...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
howc
Grease Monkey

Post by howc »

i just did abit of reading at the government website. according to the website, they said i need to own the RVR for more than a year to be able to a do a interstate licensing. so... i think i shldnt be able to purchase from other states... right ?

yea read all related problems about RVR and most of them had problems with their transmission however only affects the auto version.

oh.. tyres forget they weigh 1.5ton so yeah... tyres would need to be change more frequently compare to the rvr.

I thought parts would be hard to source for rvr lol as evo 3 engine is old haha. would the parts be cheaper as compared to fto ?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

howc wrote:i just did abit of reading at the government website. according to the website, they said i need to own the RVR for more than a year to be able to a do a interstate licensing. so... i think i shldnt be able to purchase from other states... right ?
That does not sound right ... That sounds like the rule of compliancing ... E.g. You can get a yellow plate import, by owning the car in Japan for 12 months then bringing over. All other imports get green plated, which means there can not be an Aussie delivered version of the car, and must go through full compliance tests/conversion...
howc wrote:yea read all related problems about RVR and most of them had problems with their transmission however only affects the auto version.
I actually wasn't aware of the tip problems ... But yeah, not sure if you could fit a VR4 auto trans to it either ... They could be different ... I tend to stay away from Auto's ... Hate em ...

oh.. tyres forget they weigh 1.5ton so yeah... tyres would need to be change more frequently compare to the rvr.
howc wrote:I thought parts would be hard to source for rvr lol as evo 3 engine is old haha. would the parts be cheaper as compared to fto ?
Nope, dead easy ... As there are still variants of the Evo engine, and due to VR4's and Evo's being so popular over here, the parts are great .. Lots of aftermarket support too .. + you can use Hyundai parts, VR4 parts, and Evo parts ...
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
howc
Grease Monkey

Post by howc »

Already gave the relevant department a call and cleared things up. I still can get it licensed just that i need to get it inspected. I think the inspection would be a pain in the ass. lol.

The dealer replied. Timing belt had been changed, no accident involved, no structural damage, 2 keys. Car is also stock in the engine bay from what i can see. However there is no immobilizer fitted but they can get it fitted for $350. and they said its not negotiable :cry:

The dealer will be taking a video of the car with the engine running and give me a quote on freight cost. What kinda of freight would i be looking at ? from QLD to WA. got a clue ?

Saw another deal in perth. 11000 ono.

with arias forged piston,
eagle forged conrod,
HKS metal head gasket (what is this)?
After market lifter (what is this?)
HKS GD Pro twin plate clutch
*XSPEED custom intake pipe with HKS super flow air filter
*Custom GENIE 3" turbo back exhaust with Prof vrs cs muffler
*SARD R2d2 BOV
*HKS circle earth wire system
*GREDDY oil catch tank
*ARC titanium manifold cover
*HKS EVC electronic boost controller
*APEXI EL2 Boost and exhaust temp electronic guages with control unit in a GREDDY Dual pillar mount.
*RSPEC turbo timer
*BLITZ power meter SJ
*RSR lowering springs
*RECARO SR seats
*EVO 7 17x8 wheels
*XSPEED Balancer shaft removal kit
*stainless steel piping with HKS silicone clamps
*Climate control integrated into glove compartment (looks really weird lol)
*Dark tint
*Alarm
*Custom shopping list on sideskirts
*Pioneer tv head unit with in dash cd player - custom made box on top of dash.
3 Rockford forsgate punch amps (installed in custom unit in back), splits (rockford in rear, PHD splits in front), Dimension 1 farad cap, Dynamat used in car.

Engine was rebuilt about 10k ago, only has 97 on the clock
Has PERMITS for exhaust, catch can, fmic/piping, pod filter and guages.

This deal looks a lot more attractive but is it better to get a stock or this. Im just really worried about the modification that it might not make the car last as long as stock.

never mention anything abt services done or whatsoever.

what you guys reckon?
howc
Grease Monkey

Post by howc »

howc wrote:I thought parts would be hard to source for rvr lol as evo 3 engine is old haha. would the parts be cheaper as compared to fto ?
Nope, dead easy ... As there are still variants of the Evo engine, and due to VR4's and Evo's being so popular over here, the parts are great .. Lots of aftermarket support too .. + you can use Hyundai parts, VR4 parts, and Evo parts ...[/quote]

Hyundai parts?? what kinda of parts?? Read thru one of the RVR forums and one member replaced the whole gear box with a VR4 gearbox as the 2nd gear in the rvr gearbox got destroyed. and that member mention that rvr gearbox got a manufacturing fault or something. saying that the gearbox would die off at ard 75~110k km mark. Due to the bearing and stuff like that.

got me really worried now.. just wonder what kinda of price would i be looking at if i need to get a 2nd hand vr4 gearbox?
chuster
Apprentice

Post by chuster »

I dunno what its like to transfer cars interstate but I reckon if the Perth one is fine after you get it checked up go for that. Probably much easier to deal with and youre actually there to see the car in the flesh so you know what exactly youre buying, instead of a car coming over interstate and discovering its different to the pics or theres issues later on. Thats my 2cents
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Hyundai used the engine G4CP ... It is the 4G63 engine .. This was in the 96-98 Hyundai's .. Maybe a bit earlier too .. So seals and covers and stuff are all the same ..
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

yeah RVR are quite popular in NZ too and have seen and driven plenty of the evo version.....

all i can say is good cars and go like stink!!!!
parts are very easy to source as mentioned above

even my old man has one unfortunatly just a base model :roll:
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

vipfto wrote:yeah RVR are quite popular in NZ too and have seen and driven plenty of the evo version.....

all i can say is good cars and go like stink!!!!
parts are very easy to source as mentioned above

even my old man has one unfortunatly just a base model :roll:
Yeah, just got back from NZ .. Saw the RVR everywhere ... And Hilux Surf's all through the islands like Devonport, and Waiheke...
howc
Grease Monkey

Post by howc »

Had a test drive a week ago.

test drive experience

Car feels stable, quick as well. Ran at 14psi but did not really push it. Rev till 4.5k~5k max as there is limited road.. clutch is really hard and when stepped there is a bell sound which is normal for this kind of clutch. Clutch had been adjusted as well, changing the biting point to a higher level to suit daily driving.

Was reallllly spacious inside and the back could easily fit in 5 ppl but only got 2 seats. The Recaro SR seat was really hugging as well and comfy :D Lots of storage all around the car, some big compartments at the rear seat and armrest. The cup holders are being placed infront of the gear stick which is good unlike FTO it's placed behind the gearsticks. Manual drivers would have trouble shifting gear when there is a cup of drink placed there.

sitting postures are upright as compared to FTO. Easy to get in and out of the car.

All electrical stuff works so no issue. Weird rear fog lamp though. When on, it just makes brake light brighter lol. There is 3 power source as well. Front, back seats and boot so now i can light up 3 cigarette at one go.

Heard from owner that the previous owner really likes to mess with audio system. splits sound system at front and rear and 3 amps at the back lol.

Engine has been rebuilt by Xspeed (famous car garage in WA and exp as well) so the owner claims that all belts has been replaced. Car is not under finance. Have no experience with turbo so got no idea how to inspect all the turbos and stuff..

paintworks are in decent condition.
Problems:

Rear seat door handle broke but will fix it soon.
Leaking exhaust gasket. Owner say doesnt affect performance or whatever, only make a hissing sound.

AND i forget to take down the VIN and engine code!!! but had already email owner.

Already paid 1k deposit for the car.

Think i jumped in quite hastily and without proper consideration. anyway what you guys think ?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Sounds pretty sweet ... If a door handle is your only problem, then you have done well ..