Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Gholdwayne
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Enhance your interior

Post by Gholdwayne »

Hey guys, what do you think about pimping your interior with these:

Ebay Link

Any opinions on these? my gearstick surrounds(in and out) both have a crack in them and maybe its good to have a replacement, preferrably something elegant like carbon fiber.

but i think i can already sense these are crap since i havent heard much about this. whaddya think?
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

actually been covered many times ...

i think i saw it in koolio's car, he had the wooden look as well, looked pretty decent from outside the car but didn't get to see it close up, ive been told that they can look tacky because they dont cover the whole surface
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Nooooooo!

Dont go there. I bought one of those kits a few years ago. They peel and have joins in the worst places and dont actually fit properly. Save yourself some pain and get them CF or woodgrain coated instead. It costs more, but the result is magnitudes better. The dashboard centre will do that for you (www.dashboardcentre.com.au). If you go back through the styling thread, youll see a post by me with some pictures of mine.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Gholdwayne
    Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

so nothing from that ebay site is good except for the carbon fibre and woodgrain stuff ??
    97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

The stickers just look cheap when fitted, thats all. The sticker set is flat and they dont handle the sharp curves in the upper console at all well. Added to this is the fact that with the one I bought, it sort of needed to have this glue stuff applied as well. When the stickers peel (and they will), you never can remove the glue again (as it slightly melts the plastic to provide a better adherence for the stickers). You get what you pay for in this case. Im fairly picky though.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      mushilea
      Apprentice

Post by mushilea »

I actually beg to differ.

My car was fitted with this when I purchased it, and it actually looks very good.

Granted, there are joint gaps, but if you take care when sticking these can be minimized (and they arn't very obvious).

I really like, and recommend, these kits.
      Shahrez
      Mechanic

Post by Shahrez »

mushilea wrote:I actually beg to differ.

My car was fitted with this when I purchased it, and it actually looks very good.

Granted, there are joint gaps, but if you take care when sticking these can be minimized (and they arn't very obvious).

I really like, and recommend, these kits.
      pics please.
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

How can you say its not obvious. There is a join right in the middle of the stereo surround. It may not seem obvious to you now, but itll come to annoy you. Not only that, but there is a gap around the outside of it. If it cops any heat, youll get peeling on either side of the upper console and it doesnt even cover the whole upper console, so looks like there is a bit missing. Add to that the fact that you CANT remove it without destroying your interior completely due to the fact that it is applied with a glue that to some degree melts the plastic underneath. I know this because I bought one and put it on. Ended up having to buy new bits to replace the ones I had put it on. This product looks OK from a distance, but i certainly would not recommend it in any capacity. Im beginning to wish I had taken some pics of what mine looked like after it copped a few 35+ degree days and what the interior looked like after I removed it. I think the number of times this thread has come up must be closeto double figures now.

Save up a few more dollars and get it done properly. Otherwise it will just look like the cheap addition that it is.
      Last edited by dstocks on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
        mushilea
        Apprentice

Post by mushilea »

:p I'll get some pics for you tomorrow.

I think it looks good - a cheap alternative.
        There are gaps, as I did state, but they again arn't all that noticable.

Oh, and the one I have has been on there for something like 2 1/2 years. Hasn't started to peal or anything.
        mushilea
        Apprentice

Post by mushilea »

See the trimming?
        Ill get better pics tomorrow.
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

OK,

Now before I start, im not trying to be nasty and maybe im a little picky, but here is your picture (which is quite a dark shot at low res, so it illustrates my point quite nicely):

Now:

A. Here is one of the joins im talking about. There is another one on the other side and from memory, there are a couple of nasty ones on the door handle as well.

B. This illustrates how far the sticker finishes from the edge of the surround

C. Because they cant make the sticker go areound bends, this area is still black and looks out of place.

D. This is where the sticker ends at the top. Again because it cant go around the bends above this point easily and again it looks out of place.

E. If it starts peeling off, it will happen here.

Now, take into account the resoultion of this picture and the darkness and I can still point these things out. here is what one done properly should look like:

Granted, more cash required, but the difference is worth it.
          Gholdwayne
          Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

Goddamn dwayne is that your interior with the blue CF's? How much to get that done ?!!

Looking at the manual aircon, makes me think that i should have actually gotten that, as im used to the one on my corolla, that or i might jsut need some adjusting to the electronic one i got in my fto.
          97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
          hugekim
          Grease Monkey

Post by hugekim »

First of all, Dwayne that looks amazing - gotta consider getting that done myself.

Secondly, where can you get the clock on the top left gauge? Mine currently has the volt-o-meter on the right, but the left one is a engine oil thermometer that doesn't even work
          FtoSam
          Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Or get a proper CF CD surround:

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
          koolio1234
          Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

My woodgrain inserts were done before I bought the fto, but I decided to leave them as they looked quite nice against the black dash and white leather seats.

If you think they will match your interior theme then consider getting them. Im not sure that the link you provided are the exact same as mine...not too sure :?

Mine:
          [img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
          eddiii
          Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

Or like mine, blue cf surround

dstocks
          National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

The proper CF looks nice, buy you do loose the ash tray and lighter (although this may not be a practical issue, in mind it looks a bit stramge without something there). The other thing is the clips on the back (or lack thereof). There has been several comments about these not fitting properly or not being easy to fit. Are they held in place securely, or do they just pop out and do they rattle?
            eddiii
            Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

i hold it down buy double side tape, cant secure it fully since i might need to take of the surround. thats the only problem right now, other then that its all good, fits good, just need a better way to secure it