Advice needed for sound system

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Dan25
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Advice needed for sound system

Post by Dan25 »

Hey guys,

So I just blew one of my stock speakers and I've decided that it's time to get a decent set-up that will provide me with good, clear audio. However, I would like to keep to a very minimal cost. I'm actually quite good with technology (working in a technology store) but I have no knowledge of technical aspects of car audio and I have a few problems/questions I need addressed...

- The main problem I have at the moment with my old Kenwood head unit is that every time I hit a bump, the cd skips. If I were to get a new head unit, would this problem be solved? If so, which one is best?

- For the front speakers, I was thinking of 4-way rather than 2-way. Is this necessary?

- Will I require an amp to get better quality? I have no idea how they operate...

- I don't want a sub coz I don't care about bass. Is this the correct decision?

Any advice/ info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
Robbie
Mechanic

Post by Robbie »

Dan25 wrote:The main problem I have at the moment with my old Kenwood head unit is that every time I hit a bump, the cd skips. If I were to get a new head unit, would this problem be solved? If so, which one is best?
it all depends on the deck's technology. research is always the go. ask a salesperson, its easier than looking on the net.
Dan25 wrote:For the front speakers, I was thinking of 4-way rather than 2-way. Is this necessary?
It'd give you clearer, sharper sound, but they are more expensive. probably not entirely necessary
Dan25 wrote:Will I require an amp to get better quality? I have no idea how they operate...
maybe see how you like the sound when its just your deck's amp and speakers. sometimes its decent, but you might want more performance out of the speakers. i noe after i drive my car, i cant hear anyone, but the sound could be much clearer...
Dan25 wrote:I don't want a sub coz I don't care about bass. Is this the correct decision?
If you get some decent 6x9s for the rear, and amp them, it should give you some decent bass due to the shape of the boot. but they will never give you that true bass sound.

in the end, its all up to your tastes. i'd probably start with just the deck and speakers, but get them with the thought of adding a sub and amp(s) if you want more out of it.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Re: Advice needed for sound system

Post by pete_gpx »

Dan25 wrote: - The main problem I have at the moment with my old Kenwood head unit is that every time I hit a bump, the cd skips. If I were to get a new head unit, would this problem be solved? If so, which one is best?

- For the front speakers, I was thinking of 4-way rather than 2-way. Is this necessary?

- Will I require an amp to get better quality? I have no idea how they operate...

- I don't want a sub coz I don't care about bass. Is this the correct decision?

Any advice/ info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
1. A majority of newer headunits will have anti-skip protection. Basically, the disc drive will pre-load the music up to 15 seconds ahead, then when a bump is hit, causing the disc to momentarily jump off the laser, it has 15 seconds of pre-loaded audio during which it has time to catch the disc again, giving you seamless playback.

TIP: If you purchase a headunit with USB input with which you can use a flash drive, the audio playback from a USB device will not be interrupted when going over bumps.

2. Honestly, spend a few dollars and get a set of component speakers (splits.) A decent set of splits will give you vastly superior sound over a good pair of 2 or 4 ways.

3. If you're after a good system that can go loud while still providing clarity, I recommend the use of an amplifier. The amplifier will allow you to get MUCH greater volume from your speakers.

Your headunit, no matter what you end up with, will only be outputting a maximum of 17-19W RMS. A decent set of speakers will most likely be able to handle at least 50 or more, depending on the speaker. This means that, running straight off the headunit, if you try to crank it too loud, your headunit will start throwing out dirty power (distortion) in an attempt to give the speakers what they need. Distortion both sounds terrible and is bad for your speakers. Although you can still run a set of decent speakers just fine off your headunit, an amplifier will enable you to realise their true potential.

If you go for a good set of splits, consider throwing a decent 2 channel amplifer under one of the seats to give you some extra volume out of them. If you're splashing out on speakers all around, front and rear, maybe look into purchasing a 4 channel amp to give you good strong sound from all 4 corners.

4. Honestly, if you don't want a subwoofer, don't get one. However, if you do find that you want just a bit more kick out of your system in the future, my recommendation would be to look into getting a good quality 10 inch sub. A decent 10", in a sealed box, will give you some clear, tight and punchy bass. You can easily play with the gains on your amplifers to attain the level of bass that you're after.

Hope that helps. Feel free to hit me with any more questions, or let me know if you need some more detail on any of the things I mentioned.
col2560
Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

go for an ipod "input ready" head unit, no discs and no skipping.
my motto; do nothing, then rest.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

and AMP your speakers. To many peopl think you only need to amp your sub, but sh*t get a great pair of speakers and amp them, then you wont even need a sub. (unless your into that whole vibration in your rear thing) :P
simo

Post by simo »

Check out the jaycar car amp range they've just released a 5 ch that produces good power. I've had their stuff in the past in a few systems and it's great bang for your buck.
The 5 ch will allow you to amp speakers getting best sound reproduction and place a little sub in the boot to fill out the low end.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Thank you to everyone for the replies :)

Just got back from WOW (yes, I know you work there Pete) and the guy recommended a set-up costing a bit over $500, which isn't what I really had in mind, but half of that cost comes from the head-unit. He recommended:

- 2 x 6 inch MTX Kicker's at $129 for the front
- 2 x 6x9 inch MTX (Kicker's again I think) at $159 for the back
- JVC KDR606 Head Unit at $259. Definitely more expensive than I was aiming for but he reckons it won't skip and it also has bluetooth and direct USB input (Link: https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc ... oduct=3998)

I must admit that the sound quality from this set-up was noticeably better when he ran it through the amp, but I'm wary of buying an amp because it adds to the cost and then I would have to get them to install it for me, which adds ANOTHER $180 to the cost :(

Pete, what do you think of that cheapo $69 amp you sell at WOW? (Link: https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc ... oduct=2112)

Also, my car has no visible aerial and can't go past 89 on the FM frequency (I can get Triple J, which means even though I can't see an aerial, there must be one somewhere right?). I'm guessing this is because it's still Jap Spec, as the car was a fresh import when I bought it. How do I fix it so I can tune into local frequencies?

Ok, so what does everyone think of that set-up and would it be a simple case of swapping over the wires if I were to install it myself? Sorry I know nothing about this lol.

Thanks again.
col2560
Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

some or all?? fto's have an aerial wire in the rear windscreen.
my motto; do nothing, then rest.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

What do you mean by "some or all"?
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Those 'Audio Master' amplifiers are pretty terrible. I wouldn't recommend one.

Also, MTX and Kicker are two different brands, although they are owned and manufactured by the same company.

Your aerial will be in the same spot mine is, on the top-middle of the rear windscreen. It's right near your break light and won't have any protruding parts. If you purchase a new headunit, you will be able to pick up all local stations. I'm guessing you still have your factory, Japanese, headunit, which is tuned to foreign frequencies.

If you come up for a drive to Toowoomba (probably not a practical option for you) with a bit of cash, I'll give you some Kicker 6" splits for $179, MTX 6x9s for $99 and then I can show you a few options for your headunit. Although I'm no expert, I've changed over all my own speakers in the FTO and would gladly assist you with installation.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Gah, he must have confused me with all the brand name stuff then. The speakers I was talking about definitely said Kicker on them though, so disregard MTX.

If I were to get splits, were would I position the tweeters without having to fabricate anything? I just don't want to go to too much effort with all of this lol.

Any particular reason why you are recommending the MTX 6x9s over the Kicker 6x9s for $159?
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Not sure if we have any Kicker 6x9s for that price at my store, they might be an older model.

The MTX 6x9s I was talking about are a 3 way speaker and can handle a fair bit of power, if you do decide to amp them. I'd recommend them since I have personally heard them and they put out decent bass, with nice clarity. However, I have not compared them to any Kicker 6x9s.

As for the tweeter mounting, the FTO premium sound system actually has splits, with the tweeters underneath the cloth surround in the dash corners, around the air vents. The cover is held in with a couple of clips and easily pops out with a little pressure. If you didn't want to modify anything, they'd be the perfect spot for them.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Oh ok, well I definitely don't have any tweeters in there at the moment so I assume that would mean extra wiring and a whole lot of screwing around? I hate doing stuff like this, I get so stressed and then just give up lol.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

I have never run wires up to the corners of the dash, but I can't see it being that difficult.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Nah you just mount the tweeters on the little triangle pieces on the door.
Robbie
Mechanic

Post by Robbie »

yeah, but that means cutting to siz and stuff. just thread cable through the dash... its already got the mount for the tweeters.... gives it a clean look too

No it doesnt, all you have e to do is screw it on. theres no cutting involved.

And correct me if im wrong pete but you want the tweeters pointing right at you.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Does it really already have the mount?
That would make it way easier.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

I8A4RE wrote:and AMP your speakers. To many peopl think you only need to amp your sub, but sh*t get a great pair of speakers and amp them, then you wont even need a sub. (unless your into that whole vibration in your rear thing) :P
+1 Its amazing what a decent amp can do to your speakers sound clarity.

If you dont want a sub thats fine, maybe just go for some good 6x9's.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Lenny
Grease Monkey

sniff

Post by Lenny »

I have an amp / sub and correct length wiring ready to go and for sale
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

I8A4RE wrote:and AMP your speakers. To many peopl think you only need to amp your sub, but sh*t get a great pair of speakers and amp them, then you wont even need a sub. (unless your into that whole vibration in your rear thing) :P
haha simon we all know you love the vibration in the rear lol