300zx help...

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

yano
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

300zx help...

Post by yano »

So one of my close friends has had his 300zx tt sit in his garage for a while with a problem until I said to him, fk this sh*t lets get the bitch on the road again. Now he knows dickall about cars and my knowledge is somewhat limited.

I jacked the car up and poked around a few things cos the problem was that the car just wouldnt start. After inspecting it I found an alternator belt off the pulley which also looked to have cracked away from the middle spindle on the actual alternator itself. So to anyone who previously owned a 300zx or has info about this, your input would be much appreciated.

I tried taking out the alternator for closer inspection but was unable to do so, so think I'll leave it. Obvious solution is to just replace the belt and the alternator, but easier said than done. Problem is that the closest mechanic that'll touch a 300zx is about 30mins away and the car is immobile. I've tried the 300zx club au but the registration is taking ages, so we're considering on doing this ourselves.... Thanks ppl's
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah mate they are a royal pain in the ass. We used to joke at nissan that you needed to pull the engine out just to change the f**ken oilf filter......cause that aint far of the truth.

So when you say you cant remove it why? whats getting in the way?

Also why do you think the alternator is fucked if you could clearly see the belt was off?
Why not just start with replacing the belt first.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Haha yeh absolute ass to work on. The pulley on the alternator was loose and I thought at first it could be tightened. But it seems like the pulley has snapped off at the welds. Hard to explain but i'll try put up a pic later tonight...

With removing the actual alternator, my hands are too big to access some of the bolts.... Bitch of a thing...
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

Yeah the 300's are a real bastard to work on. I liken them to having aids. My housemate bought one a few months ago and already the clutch is rooted and needs to be replaced and it's barely come out of the garage.

I figure my FTO could beat it in a race simply because the car would breakdown after a few laps.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Well mate id say i'd give you a hand but i really cant be assed working on them. They are a complete nightmare. However I am happy to give you advise where possible.

Tell him to sell the thing a buy a skyline like everybody else :P
Last edited by I8A4RE on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

I8A4RE wrote:Well mate id say i'd you a hand but i really cant be assed working on them. They are a complete nightmare. However I am happy to give you advise possible. tell him to sell the thing a buy a Big Ugly Soap Box Racer like everybody else :P
Or a 240/260/280Z which actually has room in their engine bays.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Hahaha, hey I said I'll be buying another fto! LOL. Yeh first things first is we need an alternator. Any info on removing one would help HEAPS!!! Stupid 300's
chuster
Apprentice

Post by chuster »

Here's a diy on how to change alternators

http://300zx.tombeauchamp.com/04_11_01_ ... ator.shtml
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Thanks heaps for that chuster. Nice find!!