Lower Control Arm Bush

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

evoman
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Lower Control Arm Bush

Post by evoman »

After putting up with an annoying rattle/knock coming from the rear left of my car for a while, I finally got my mechanic to investigate.

He reckons the rear left, outer lower control arm bush is worn and needs replacing. Does this description sound right? Because I can't find mention of such a part on here or camskill or anywhere really.

Could someone please help direct me to where I could find such a bush. I have a GPvR, but I don't think that should make any difference?
I believe it is a press fit?

Any other advice or info in this area would be much appreciated.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Ahh champion. Thanks very much Bennoz.
I was looking for control arm, hence why I missed that.

Is it pretty rare for these to wear out?

Also, while he is in that neck of the woods, should I get him to replace the swaybar bushes because mine have pretty much worn through?...or does that require a fair bit more work?

Is this swaybar mount from whiteline different to the actual bush? http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_det ... r=KBR27-20 And as I have a GPvR I will need a 20mm bush ya?

Geez....sorry about all the stupid questions.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, they're the most common one to go in the rear.

Rear roll bar bushes are common to go to, and yes for 20mm in GPvR ;)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... b0s10p7728

The link you posted is for droplinks.
Standard height GPvR: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m3b0s10p359
Lowered height GPvR: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m3b0s10p418
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Hehe. And thank you very much once again :-)

I notice Camskill doesn't have any rear poly swaybar bushes in the 20mm size. Are there any available anywhere. If so, would I be likely to notice any advantages in getting the poly bushes apart from their longevity, or should these stock ones be fine? Ie is there any handling performance improvements to be had from the poly bushes.
Also, how difficult is it to replace the swaybar bushes? Do a lot of components need to be removed to allow access to the swaybar such that the bushes can be put on?
Thanks for any help.
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Can anyone help me out with the last few questions? ^^
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

poly bushes are stiffer so will make it more responsive while creating a harsher feel, as they dont absorb the energy or shock like standard rubber bushes the shock will be directed elswhere usually to other bushes in turn making them wear more rapidly.

yes sway bar bushes are easy to change (think DIY is somewhere) if you have some time and are not scared of it
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Thanks very much for the response vipfto.

For any of the Version R owners out there(or anyone else with 20mm swaybars), Mike from Camskill has sent off the standard bushes to Superflex for reference in creating a 20mm poly bush.

So with any luck, one more piece of the poly bushing equation will be added to the Camskill website before too long:-)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Superflex already make one ;) SPF1700/20

Don't forget Superflex is an Australian owned company, all these bushes are made locally & will be cheaper to get them ordered in to your local Auto One / SuperCheap etc.

evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Umm.....I still don't see a rear swaybar bush on that list?
Or is the front one the same as the rear one?
Mike also seemed to be of the opinion that there was currently no 20mm rear bushes available.

Ahh, they are Aussie? Thanks for telling me that. It might help if they had a damn website! Or maybe they do?......
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ahh my bad, I thought it was the front one you were after.

In that case, just apply the rear part number SPF2004 and add the 20mm. So it'll be SPF2004/20. Sway bar bushing are very generic, the SPF2004 or SPF1700 is just the type of bracketing thats used & such determines the bush type. Then you just add your size.

You're quite right thou, as there is no listing for the 20mm - see http://203.31.191.243/fulcrumCat/ and put in FTO details.

My advice would be to ring Fulcrum suspensions in QLD (who are the distributor for Superflex bushes) and see what they can match up for you thats the equivalent of a SPF2004/20. Im pretty damn sure they'll be able to find one thats suitable for you, they dug up all manner of weird & wonderful bushes for myself & members here in the past :)

http://www.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/co ... Itemid,95/
evoman
Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Thanks Bennoz :-)
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Hey Bennoz, will the 20mm GPvR front sway bar fit on a GPX?

I'm thinking this might be a cheap upgrade?

(Sorry to hijack the thread evoman)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Shane001 wrote:Hey Bennoz, will the 20mm GPvR front sway bar fit on a GPX?

I'm thinking this might be a cheap upgrade?

(Sorry to hijack the thread evoman)
Unforunately no, you need GPvR control arms to match it ;) The vR sway bar has different end mounts & you need the control arms to supply that mount. The vR arms also mount differently to the car in the rear control bushes. Having said that, all post 97 FTO's had that same uprated control arm bushing so it would be easier for you if you had a post 97 car & could supply vR control arms.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Thanks Bennoz, mines a 95 so a whiteline it will be (when I get to it lol)...