King Springs + KYB Excel G Shocks

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

vendall
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

King Springs + KYB Excel G Shocks

Post by vendall »

Hi guys,

I'm looking to lower my GPX and decided to go for lowering springs (King Spring) rather than coilovers due to cost and I don't want an overly stiff ride on Sydney's roads. I am also considering KYB Excel G shocks to go with the new springs. I have a few questions though:

How do the stock shocks fare with the Kings?
Do the KYBs need to be adjusted? If yes, how is this done?

If I can get a ride quality equal or better than stock by using just the new springs, then I will probably go with that until the stock shocks need replacing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alex.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

KYB-Excel G shocks with kings lowering springs are an excellent combo. Just make sure you go with a softer spring rate for comfort. Not too soft considering your going to lower it. Something about 6kg springs should do.

I think Bennoz had this exact same set in one of his fto's.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

You cant choose the spring rate of king springs and if you could 6 would be way too hard for someone who wants a comfortable ride. However as Koolio has suggested KYB with king springs will be great combo between handling and comfort.
vendall
Apprentice

Post by vendall »

Thanks for the answers, guys. Should I go straight to KYB shocks or should I keep the stock ones until they break? Also, whats the cheapest place to get KYBs (does supercheap have them?)? I know RPW stocks them....

Cheers,
Alex.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I would do them all in the one hit. Such a pain in the ass f*cking around with spring compressors & lining them all up.

Can get KYB's anywhere. Where abouts you based?

Heres the part numbers:
Front L: 334154
Front R: 334155
Rears: 341140
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Im had the king and KYB setup as well. Got my rears done 3months ago and fronts done last week. Have to say its so much comfortable now.

If you are still using stock shocks, im certain that they are already worned out.

be sure to do everything at one go and forget all about it. Besides new struts and springs, replace the bumpstops, dust covers and add spring protectors.

I got the parts from various shops but labour is pretty reasonable at wholesale suspensions.
col2560
Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

i just did my fronts a few weeks ago, got the shocks from "Pep's" at Narellan. front shocks were $165 each.
my motto; do nothing, then rest.
elusi0n
Grease Monkey

Post by elusi0n »

I've just got my set of KYB Excel-G shocks and King Springs done 2 days ago. You get get them done at Wholesale Suspension for $990.

http://www.wholesalesuspension.com.au/contact.html

You can contact them for further questions.
vendall
Apprentice

Post by vendall »

Bennoz wrote:I would do them all in the one hit. Such a pain in the ass f*cking around with spring compressors & lining them all up.

Heres the part numbers:
Hi Bennoz. I'm live in Castle Hill. I'll take your advice and do them all at once. They arent that expensive anyways. Thanks for the part #s.

How hard is it all to install... I'll be using your guide =).

Alex.
Last edited by vendall on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
vendall
Apprentice

Post by vendall »

zuihoujueding wrote:Im had the king and KYB setup as well. Got my rears done 3months ago and fronts done last week. Have to say its so much comfortable now.

If you are still using stock shocks, im certain that they are already worned out.

be sure to do everything at one go and forget all about it. Besides new struts and springs, replace the bumpstops, dust covers and add spring protectors.

I got the parts from various shops but labour is pretty reasonable at wholesale suspensions.
Thanks for the advice zuihou. Ill do the shocks as well. Ill probably install the parts myself so no labour =).
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

vendall wrote:
Bennoz wrote:I would do them all in the one hit. Such a pain in the ass f*cking around with spring compressors & lining them all up.

Heres the part numbers:
Hi Bennoz. I'm live in Castle Hill. I'll take your advice and do them all at once. They arent that expensive anyways. Thanks for the part #s.

Alex.
Its a hell of a lot easier with a hoist, but if you gotta do them on the drive fine, it will just a take a while. Last set I swapped over was on a hoist & it took me about 2 hours give or take. On the lawn, it took me about 5 hours.

I've got a mate who runs Tubuluar suspension Systems up a Mount Kuringai who will do a full set of 4 for you for $440. His name is James, just give him a buzz & say Bennoz at FTO Aus sent you ;)

www.tubularsuspensionsystems.com
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Make sure you get a wheel alignment done after you change them over though. When I fitted mine, I ended up with 26 degrees toe in on one side and 27 degrees on the other. I wore down tyres with 75% tread to basically metal in 3 days. Bit like a cheese grater really.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    koolio1234
    Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

dstocks wrote:Make sure you get a wheel alignment done after you change them over though. When I fitted mine, I ended up with 26 degrees toe in on one side and 27 degrees on the other. I wore down tyres with 75% tread to basically metal in 3 days. Bit like a cheese grater really.
    yep, good advice. If you get it done by a shop, a wheel alignment is usually included anyways.
    [img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
    vendall
    Apprentice

Post by vendall »

Bennoz wrote:
    vendall wrote:

Heres the part numbers:

Alex.
    Its a hell of a lot easier with a hoist, but if you gotta do them on the drive fine, it will just a take a while. Last set I swapped over was on a hoist & it took me about 2 hours give or take. On the lawn, it took me about 5 hours.

I've got a mate who runs Tubuluar suspension Systems up a Mount Kuringai who will do a full set of 4 for you for $440. His name is James, just give him a buzz & say Bennoz at FTO Aus sent you ;)

www.tubularsuspensionsystems.com
    Thats awesome, thanks mate. Ill give him a ring when I get back to Australia next week.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    vendall
    Apprentice

Post by vendall »

dstocks wrote:Make sure you get a wheel alignment done after you change them over though. When I fitted mine, I ended up with 26 degrees toe in on one side and 27 degrees on the other. I wore down tyres with 75% tread to basically metal in 3 days. Bit like a cheese grater really.
    Definitely. Ill see if I can get it all installed relatively cheaply (which would include alignment i presume). The 5 hours Bennoz indicated are a bit hefty.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah but I sink a lot of piss when I work on cars at home, I was half cut by the end of it which didn't help things :lol: