Ya gotta love a Haltech

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Cassf88
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Cassf88 »

sensors n other stuff. thats gone over my head.

so, let me see, piggyback n haltech are the same thing? or similar but a variation? n its a processor that help better tune the car's computer to acheive better performance with the extras/mods that have been put in aftermarket?

now, question-- do these things go in the car or is it like a machine that u sync to the car's comp n once you've adjusted everything u 'unplug" it n put it in storage? n how does this thing install? if it is like a thingy u can put away, cant u juts go somewhere leave your car with them, they do it n then pick it up once their done? or does it run alongside the existing comp? this is the stupid stupid question-- when u say comp, i know u dont mean a actual tower in the car, but is it a hard drive with a processor or like a grid that u can store info on? :oops:
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Someone can correct me if wrong..

But yeah, it remains in the car... Would be no bigger then an amplifier.. You wire it up to the original loom, and ecu. It then gives you the ability to change settings.. I have a stand alone ecu, that I mount in my glove box.. A piggy back would be smaller...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

totally correct mate they stay in the car. They are wired in with the standard computer and tricks the standard ecu into changing the settings. I am going to mount mine in my glove box to so I can plug my laptop into it easier. I am getting my mate to install mine as he did his in his vr4 galant
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

there are two type
1. a stand alone system which does not require your old ecu

2. a piggy back which just plugs into your current ecu

now the 2nd is usually best option unless your running a weapon like bennoz is

they work by remapping you air/fuel ratios boost/mivec or whatever you may be running to maximum benefit for your car (which varys on what different things you have like standard or maybe extractors etc)
to do this once plugged into your ecu and hooked upto laptop with correct program your car goes on dyno and they start adjusting ratios until best setup is reached. the unit will then stay in car as this now controls your fuel etc if you unplug it your car will revert to standard ecu settings

hope that explains it
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Fulltiltorgasm
Grease Monkey

Post by Fulltiltorgasm »

this is all very interesting, how much can a factory ecu compensate for a new exhaust 2.5 with hi flow cat, does it have much of an ability to compensate for the new system ?? and with the above would it even be worth installing a piggyback without other mods such as extractors/cai ???
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

That ultimately depends on how much you want additional HP. Youll definitely get a gain by doing it, but in many cases its best to do intake and exhaust first before embarking on a piggyback as they give you a good HP/Cost return. Once you have something like a Haltech installed, youll be up for a tune each time you add something new to get the full benefit from it. Im not saying for a minute that it is not worth it, just that it would probably not be the firstthing youd go for.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    nvr2low
    Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

so dstocks buddy how much can you get me a haltech for as they us a universal loom so I can use the same one as yours mate.
    Grue
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

nvr2low wrote:so dstocks buddy how much can you get me a haltech for as they us a universal loom so I can use the same one as yours mate.
    lol, do I hear the immortal cry of "GROUP BUY!"

Would your tuner have to have some experience with Haltech? Or would any tuner be able to install?
    If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Nah, youd only go with someone that was approved. There is a list of approved companies on the Haltech website. Leave the deal for the units with me. Ill see what I can come up with for a standalone price and a piggyback price.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Cassf88
      Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

ah! so piggyback means attached the current unit (im now understanding the name piggyback) n standalone is the one that u put elsewhere eg: glove compartment.... wow! this makes sense-- GO Cass! lol

*does a little dance*
      Fulltiltorgasm
      Grease Monkey

Post by Fulltiltorgasm »

Cassf88 wrote:ah! so piggyback means attached the current unit (im now understanding the name piggyback) n standalone is the one that you put elsewhere eg: glove compartment.... wow! this makes sense-- GO Cass! lol

*does a little dance*
      yeah piggyback has the capacity to overide some functions of the ecu but the ecu runs most of the systems, whereas a full standalone replaces the ecu and can be tuned to watever suits :D
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

Grue wrote:lol, do I hear the immortal cry of "GROUP BUY!"
      Haha! There can be only one!

*Highlanders*
      nvr2low
      Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

yeh good work dstocks mate as i need to get this over fueling problem fixed and get the car making some better numbers hehe.

their is a guy in darwin who is a registered haltech tuner with a 900kw dyno yay.
      Cassf88
      Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

Fulltiltorgasm wrote:
      yeah piggyback has the capacity to overide some functions of the ecu but the ecu runs most of the systems, whereas a full standalone replaces the ecu and can be tuned to watever suits :D
      and so the plot thickens... n i still understand!!!!
      nvr2low
      Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

cass both a standalone and piggyback until are installed in the car eg glove box.

the stand alone unit means you take the fto ecu out and throw it in the bin and the tuner retunes the car on that ecu.

the piggyback you use both the fto ecu and the haltech
      chuster
      Apprentice

Post by chuster »

dunno if anyones bothered reading it but this describes the difference pretty well

http://forums.superstreetonline.com/70/ ... index.html
      yoshiba
      Apprentice

Post by yoshiba »

GROUP BUY!!! ~ Go go tax return!
      Cassf88
      Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

i read the article, lost me half way though :? i think im pretty down with the lingo bout this-- thanks guys!!

(thinkin a group buy would be interesting...)