Thinking of Buying a different car! need advice/ideas!

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Shahrez
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Shahrez »

yeah they are pretty heavy, but that doesnt bother me much hey, plus coz owner is a family friend, he is throwing in free 5 year warranty. yes i had a look at the 5th gen prelude, this one had evo bonnet, body kit, lowered, full leather interior, not sure if it was a v-tec though. are they any good to drive? driven civic type-r's and integra's but never preludes.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

koolio1234 wrote:
Delvance wrote:
koolio1234 wrote:
zuihoujueding wrote:
Delvance wrote:Get an old corolla with a 4age or 4agze conversion with engineers cert. Will be able to pick up a decent one for 7-8k or less, awesome fun and cheap as chips for service and parts...hell it's DIY for a lot of it if you want. Always a few on carsales.
SECOND TO THAT!!!!
Not the best idea ^^ turboed cars are generally more expensive ot maintain especially one that needed an engineers cert, cos of non-standard parts used.

If you want reliability and practicality and economy I would recommend going for a 1995 car onwards with low kilometres. A make like a toyota, mitsubishi, honda, etc. Avoid turbos, rotaries and v8's if you want something that wont cost a fortune to buy and run.
wtf

Firstly, a 4age is an n/a engine, much like the 6a12. And if the engine's been swapped with a black or silver top 4age, the motor will be quite low km's and not that old.

As for the 4agze, it's supercharged and as a factory setup, tough as nails. Service really is the same as an FTO.

As for the engineers cert, that's needed because the engine has been swapped into another corolla chassis. You can argue, with swaps, a lot of the times the engines get rebuilt and new mounts installed...

:roll:
I wasnt referring to the 4age, was talking about the 4agze. Swapping it into a rolla will require an engineer cert, any time you out a engine inside a specific chassis that didnt come stock with that engine, you have to be take measures: spend money on making things fit, upgrading the drivetrain, etc.

The 4age came standard in plenty of corollas, so that should be a fairly easy swap.

I dont understand why you would suggest a corolla with a 4agze swap to someone who needs something cheap to maintain, reliable and economical. As far as i know, everyone i know who owns one will saw otherwise.
A 4agze IS cheap to maintain, it's a toyota. It's also reliable and economical, considering the power it puts out.

Of course the conversion will require an engineer's cert..that's why i said find one for sale with it already.. Buy one with it all done and just enjoy it.

I've got an ae101 corolla with a 4agze swap in the family, and i can tell you otherwise, it IS cheap to maintain.