Buying FTO 160 000k's what to look for

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

tiger858
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Buying FTO 160 000k's what to look for

Post by tiger858 »

hey its a 1995 model 160 000k's all electronics working and tappets replaced what price should i be looking for going for inspection tommorow what are the main things i should be looking at? thaanks all :)
xj265
Mechanic

Post by xj265 »

roof rust :evil:
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

First thing to look for is a search button :roll:

There are plenty of guides on what to look for throughout this site.

WTTC, by the way... ;)
tiger858
Apprentice

Post by tiger858 »

yeah ive read im just wondering what to look for in high k's vehicles as most i think are written for around 100k's is there any way without a macanic that should give some idea of whether its been thrashed or not
col2560
Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

all the usual things, dirty oil, exhaust smoke, rough idle when cold, ask for service / spare parts reciepts, scrubbed tyres, loose steering, etc. cant you find a lower klm car? there's usually plenty around.
how much is it selling for??
my motto; do nothing, then rest.
tiger858
Apprentice

Post by tiger858 »

its selling for 7k and if i find a lower k's one i wont have enough for insurence and other things
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

its selling for 7k and if i find a lower k's one i wont have enough for insurence and other things
Then, to tell you the truth, maybe you shouldn't be in the market for an FTO right now mate. Why don't you save your money a bit longer and buy a decent one? Seriously, what are you gonna do if you buy this one with 160 000k's and it falls apart on you? Parts can be quite expensive too...
tiger858
Apprentice

Post by tiger858 »

yeah but my current car is falling apart (vn holden) and i currently need a new car so if i dont blow it on this car ill blow it on another is 160k really that high
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

tiger858 wrote:yeah but my current car is falling apart (vn holden) and i currently need a new car so if i dont blow it on this car ill blow it on another is 160k really that high
160,000km can be high for an fto if its been mostly thrashed throughout its life. Just keep an eye out and make sure you inspect it thoroughly.

Dont get too attached to it, if you find something suspicious, look elsewhere.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Shahrez
Mechanic

Post by Shahrez »

well my car is on 201 kays, and so far ive changed these items

1. Clutch kit - due to previous owner being a noob clearly - never had a problem after i changed that in 5 years
2. Starter motor - typical
3. Battery
4. Waterpump and timing belts

and apart from that, no problem whatsoever, so it does really depend on how well it has been taken care of! good luck!
tiger858
Apprentice

Post by tiger858 »

thanks guys for all the help its got no mods so im hoping that its been driven fairly sensible thanks
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Where bouts are you? Maybe someone on here knows the car, or might even give it a look over for you if you ask nicely? (and are buying the beers!)
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
tiger858
Apprentice

Post by tiger858 »

its being sold in north wollongong its on carsales :D
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Interior and body do look in good condition going by the photo's. And doesn't look like anything's been done to her at all. So could well be in luck.

Yeah, like xj265 said, check the roof for possible rust bubbling. Doesn't effect a lot of FTO's, but absolute bitch if it's you.

Apart from that, do what you'd do with any car that age. Listen to the engine from cold - if they've had tappets done then she should sound ok. Check out those receipts from the servicing every 5000km that they're claiming, to see what's been replaced mech-wise.

Maybe invest in an AA check or similar? Can check brakes, shocks, springs etc etc that you'd have trouble getting to.
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...