Need help choosing rims.

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

fto13-marty
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Need help choosing rims.

Post by fto13-marty »

Im looking for some opinions on rims, I have a black fto 1996, currently have romi thunder 17" rims, i would like new rims but have no idea what to get, so if you have a suggestion i would love to hear it, i am a tight ass so cheaper then 2k and preferably chrome and or black rims.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

rays engineering 17x8

hyper black

www.bsawheels.com.au

AU 229HB
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

chuster
Apprentice

Post by chuster »

Should check yahoo auctions japan, they have bargains from time to time, should be able to get decent rims under 2k.

+1 to rays, my personal favourite are the ce28's but they're quite pricey.
scremn
Apprentice

Post by scremn »

zuihoujueding wrote:Enkei GTC01 in 17"
I'll second that, they are real 8) . Cant beat Advan RGII IMHO

tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

they wont look like that.

the only way they look that way is due to the aggressive offset and for the fto you wont be able to run it.

so it will look like this

J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

WORK MIESTER used $1300... spend the rest on tyres (j-imports.com.au)

not black or chrome but very nice wheels.

BUDDYCLUB P1 racing QF NEW $2400 (www.musecret.com.au)

VOLK LE37T 8O :D 8O $2350
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Drooling over those VOLKS ^^^^

TOOO MUCH $$$$ :cry: will have to sell a kidney :cry:
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
scremn
Apprentice

Post by scremn »

tenji wrote:they wont look like that.

the only way they look that way is due to the aggressive offset and for the fto you wont be able to run it.

so it will look like this...
Who says you cant? Personally I wouldn't be looking at anything less then +35 offset rims and ideally a staggered set. You should be able to get a 17/18*9 on the back easily with the size of the FTO guards in the rear.

J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

^^^ you would need to go more agressive than +35 if you running a 18x9. if your running rear spacers you shall be alright. i would say closest to +25>28 would be a good bet and stretched tyres to prevent tyre scrubbing.
fto13-marty
Apprentice

Post by fto13-marty »

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate it. Keep them coming, gonna be speaking to a mate of a mate this week who works for a tyre company said he might be able to hook me up. So im still very much undecided.
scremn
Apprentice

Post by scremn »

J: Yeah man for sure, I meant atleast +35 so the fronts would fill out for starters. Its almost a bit painful for me seeing +40 offset wheels on an FTO when the guards are capable of fitting sooo much bigger. Same deal here in NZ... The Japanese guys know whats up 8)
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

scremn wrote:J: Yeah man for sure, I meant atleast +35 so the fronts would fill out for starters. Its almost a bit painful for me seeing +40 offset wheels on an FTO when the guards are capable of fitting sooo much bigger. Same deal here in NZ... The Japanese guys know whats up 8)
yeh the whole sunken battleship-wheels tucked in the guards isnt a good look. jdm boys are offset kings

edit: lol im a wheel-whore
Last edited by J on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
chuster
Apprentice

Post by chuster »

I've trial fitted my friends rims on my car and i could fit his 18x9 +23 on both my front and rear without it sticking out dunno about rubbing issues coz i didnt drive it but you can just get camber dialed in to cure that.
scremn
Apprentice

Post by scremn »

Chuster: That's good info :D I always thought the rear needed a lower offset (or wider wheels) then the front. I doubt the rubbing issues are much different from Lancers where you just have to bend up (or chop) the rear bumper mount inside the guards.
chuster
Apprentice

Post by chuster »

Yea, I've tried searching the web and couldnt find anything at all about aggressive offsets for fto's so this was the only way i could gauge it.
scremn wrote:I doubt the rubbing issues are much different from Lancers where you just have to bend up (or chop) the rear bumper mount inside the guards.
Ive had to cut out the front part of my front guard lining coz it was rubbing when i turn and im running 215/45 on 17's
scremn wrote:J: Yeah man for sure, I meant atleast +35 so the fronts would fill out for starters.
And i assume you meant at "most" +35 otherwise a higher offset would make it sit even further in
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

9'' wide wheels would not be hitting the iner plastic guards they would be hitting the arch it self so what most people do is ''higher'' the car or roll and flare the arches so the arch doesnt hit the tyres with suspension play. i'll get a pic when im home :D
chuster
Apprentice

Post by chuster »

Nah im not running 9 inch wide on my car, i just test fitted my friends rims. Ive only got 7 inch wide atm, and im certain it was the guard lining coz i took it out and there was a groove in the lining which was worn away from the tyre.

But yea when i get more aggressive rims later i would have to roll my guards, dont wanna flare it in case it cracks the paint and im not really a fan of it, maybe a little pumping.
chuster
Apprentice

Post by chuster »

I've trial fitted my friends rims on my car and i could fit his 18x9 +23 on both my front and rear without it sticking out dunno about rubbing issues coz i didnt drive it but you can just get camber dialed in to cure that.
And one thing is im pretty sure you would need coilovers to fit a 9 inch on the front. When i tried out those rims with king springs and kyb shocks on, the strut sat on top of the tyre unless you run a ridiculously low offset which would prob make the rim stick outside the guard. Ive got coilovers on now and you can just fit your fingers between the rim and the strut.
chuster
Apprentice

Post by chuster »

edit: double post
Last edited by chuster on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.