The Formula One thread

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SchumieFan
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

The Formula One thread

Post by SchumieFan »

WELCOME!

well,

its been an interesting year in terms of F1 09,Brawn GP (run by former Ferrari Technical Director Ross Brawn)took an early lead in pre-season testing and the Ferrari's and McLarens dropped to the back of the field in the early part of the season but have made a slow and steady comeback and are on par with the performance of the underdogs Brawn... although, Red Bull racing's Sebastian Vettel and (AUSSIE!) Mark Webber are taking the lead and slowly chipping away at the lead Brawn's Jenson Button took at the beginning of the season.
All in all, New season, new rules always spells excitement in what is known as the pinnacle of Motorsport. so good luck to all of the drivers!

a lot has happened in the last week...

Ferrari's Felipe Massa was struck by a 800g suspension damper spring in qualifying for last weeks hungarian grand prix.
Although he admits remembering nothing of the incident,
he lost conciousness immediately and crashed straight on into the tyre barrier at turn 4, a 8.5g collision originally caused by a 160MPH collision with the spring.

The spring, which hit him with the force of just over 200kg, struck his helmet, then rebounded of his car and fell behind it, caused some confusion as it was not seen to be the cause of his crash till careful replays picked up the collision.

he was removed from the car and subsequently taken to the AEK Military hospital in Budapest, where he was put into an induced coma to recover from the fractured scull caused by the spring striking his car and his helmet.

this came, a week after Henry Surtees (F1 and MOTO World Champion John Surtees' son) was killed in a collision with a wheel which had come off another car in the F3 race in Brand Hatch.

So not a great week for motorsport.

Nelson Piquet Jr. has been dumped at Renault, amidst a lot of speculation, the Brazilian blamed Manager and Team Boss Flavio Briatore for the sacking, stating he never had a fair chance at renault next to 2 time world champion Fernando Alonso. This is fair and obvious in any race reflected on, so i wish him well in any category of racing that proceeds him and i have emailed him stating this.

SO!

To the big news...

Ferrari's replacement, or rather, 'sub' for Felipe Massa, is non other than 7 times (and 5 time Ferrari) World Champion

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER!!!!

who although never setting foot in a F1 machine since april 07, has been practising in a sold, but loaned 07 machine.
There is a ban on in-season testing this year (to reduce running costs set by the FIA) and this has meant that Schumacher has had no time to get to grips with Ferrari's 09 machine, the F60.

Ferrari wrote to all the teams and the FIA asking for an exemption to the rule, allowing Schumacher to test the F60 for 1 day to allow him to get to grips with the car.
This was subsequently appealed by F1 teams Red Bull, Scuderia Torro Rosso (Red Bull Team 2) and Williams F1 on the basis that Rookie and STR replacement for an underperforming Sebastian Bourdais, Jaime Alguersuari had no run-in or testing time...
Ferrari have openly criticised Williams for the move, but are staying closed lipped in terms of STR (perhaps because they use Ferrari engines)

stay tuned by visiting...
www.Formula1.com
www.itv-f1.com or
www.bbc.co.uk/f1

or stay tuned to FTO Australia For regular updates

SchumieFan
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Cool.

Not usually into F1 but this stuff seems interesting ^^^
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

ill feel free to answer any question...

F1 is my passion, kev, ben, kaz and "the rest" know this so fire away...

it ties in with the FTO as the FTO was designed with F1 technology in mind... it was the first to have a tip gearbox next to the porsches....

like i said, any f1 q's... feel free to post or pm
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Luckily Massa was wearing an Arai helmet...

Thats not fair....Schumi should be busy with doing his "THE STIG", how can he find time with F1.

He might have lose the edge as he have been driving too many slow cars in TG. LOL

So hes officially going against his former boss, Ross Brawn?
xj265
Mechanic

Post by xj265 »

quote from wiki:

On 21 June 2009, Schumacher appeared on BBC2's motoring programme Top Gear as The Stig. [139] The BBC has since admitted that Michael Schumacher is not the Stig and he was the only person who could drive the Ferrari FXX that appeared on the show

:cry:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

SchumieFan wrote:F1 is my passion, kev, ben, kaz and "the rest" know this so fire away...
Passion? Its more of a f*cking illness!
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

sweet!

the last i heard about schumacher was that he did not want to make a return, this will be very interesting ...

i love watching F1's too, however im a much bigger fan of lewis hamilton :P
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

lol... cheers ben! (did you see my tattoo???) someone has to foot the bill for formula one, and im an un-official stockholder in Ferrari...

by the by..

Massa along with all the other Ferrari Drivers wear Schu-berth helmets, not Arai.

the helmets have to withstand vigerous testing and the visors... JUST the visors have to be able to withstand crush pressure of 250kg...

what happened in Felipe's case was that the spring hit his helmet and snapped the mounting on the left side forcing the visor(and the spring) through the gap in his helmet and into his head.
just a freak accident, luckily he wasnt killed and all the helmet manufacturers will be looking and learning from this incident

Lucky boy.

he has today been released from hospital but still cannot open his left eye 100%

i would be surprised if he doesnt race in brazil this year.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

yeah the schumacher factor will definatly pull more viewers..

if he wins, people will say thats the way it is... if he loses, people will say hes lost it.

but he is in no way the fastest car and has had ZERO run in time with the car, and its a new track for him, so he has a lot of factors going against him...

however... he is Michael Schumacher! give him 10 laps, he'll be up there.

heres a 3d explanation of what happened 2 massa... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCjafKgt ... re=related
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I love F1 too mate, but due to the time i start work and the time all the european races are on I do miss a lot.

I must say i did think of you the other day when I read michael was going to race again......... I cant wait.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

as if they were listening....

earlier in the thread i said the helmet manufacturers would be looking and learning from the incident with Felipe...

Michael Schumacher will launch a re-design of the Schu-berth helmet at valencia with strengthened visor mounts

[quote]Helmet manufacturer Schuberth has reacted to Felipe Massa’s Hungarian Grand Prix accident by developing an upgraded version of the design used by the Ferrari driver.

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher will launch the new model later this month at the European GP in Valencia, where he is set to return to Formula 1 as a high-profile stand-in for his former team-mate Massa.

The Brazilian suffered a fractured skull and brain concussion after being hit in the head by a spring weighing 800g that had detached itself from the rear suspension of Rubens Barrichello’s Brawn car.

Although Massa’s lightweight carbon fibre helmet stood up well to the impact – testifying to the efficacy of stringent safety standards introduced by the FIA in 2004 – the left visor mounting was knocked off.

Schuberth has therefore reinforced the mounting point between the helmet and visor with a titanium disc, a change it says will double the strength of the mounting.

“Felipe’s visor only came off when the doctors pulled on it,â€
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

ok, now im crying...

[quote]Michael Schumacher has had to abandon plans to return to Formula 1 due to the neck injury he sustained earlier this year.

The seven-time world champion was set to deputise for Felipe Massa at Ferrari, but said medical tests showed his neck – injured in a motorcycle accident in February – wasn’t strong enough to withstand the physical demands of racing an F1 car.

Schumacher told his website on Tuesday: “Yesterday evening, I had to inform Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and team principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe.

“I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out.

“Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1 day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.

“The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe.

“That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula 1 yet.

“This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon.

“As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination already yesterday.â€
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

well thats just *~delightful!~* ... :(
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

#$%^&*( go back to top gear