quick question about floor pan

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

BorepYano
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

quick question about floor pan

Post by BorepYano »

sorry guys this is very noob and lazy of me, but i was hoping for a quick answer, since i dont have the time to siff through all the old posts atm

can I (or do I need to) swap the floor pan from a VR4 legnum (series 1), if i was to use the VR4's drive train for a AWD conversion?

the story is:
I'm looking at buying a whole VR4, and just ripping everything out and doing the AWD conversion to my rolling shell.
I have a volunteer to help with ripping the VR4 apart, and am trying to organise for the fabrication and installation into the FTO shell (as i'm typing right now). kinda tight on time and space so i have to organise it all before I buy the donor car...

another question actually: AYC, should i keep it or ditch it?

and any other pointers would be awesome too.

Cheers guys.
me love you long time lol
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

ditch the ayc

as for vr4 yes of course can be made to fit but i am more of understanding that evo would be better or at least simpler to put in, someone correct me if im wrong?
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

vipfto wrote:ditch the ayc

as for vr4 yes of course can be made to fit but i am more of understanding that evo would be better or at least simpler to put in, someone correct me if im wrong?
yeah that's what I've been reading as well, right now it's just what is available at the right price.

and With the AYC, the story is that it breaks easily right? anyone know what actually happens to it, i.e. why is it so week?
kiz wrote:
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

I've been looking at the same thing. The VR4 floorpan is, I believe, not dissimilar to the FTO one. If you were going EVO then the EVO 3 floorpan is also similar but 4 and above is a fair bit different in terms of suspension pickups, etc.

My plan is to swap only the rear floorpan with either an EVO3 or a VR4 so I can keep the suspension pickup points, etc the same.

HTH

Bill
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

the guy doing the AWD conversion in the UK had to cut and weld a floor pan from an evo 5 i think it was, as it was 4 inches to long.
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Tippin wrote:the guy doing the AWD conversion in the UK had to cut and weld a floor pan from an evo 5 i think it was, as it was 4 inches to long.
Yup, he owned a garage and was doing a major show car for the garage. With the money he was spending anything is possible. I am completely unhindered by talent, skill, ability or finance so will be doing it an easier way.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

taking an angle grinder to the VR4 floor pan and welding it is then lol

so anyone know what's the actual problem with the AYC?
kiz wrote:
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

LED ALL the things.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Stop asking questions and just make it fit :P
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

AYC if for poofs. Learn how to control the car on your own!

I'd be going with a EVO floorpan. After staring at a VR4 one for months, its too big & the suspension geometry is completely different to that of an FTO. Its designed for a car that weighs 2 tonne that picks up the shopping in a hurry.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh & FTO chassis is almost identical to a CC Lancer, so pick your EVO accordingly.