DIY: How to replace your dash bulbs with LEDs

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EURO
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by EURO »

this topic has been covered before and it really seems to vary b.w states and also individual police.

I have spoken to a couple of officers who 'think' its only illegal if its red or distracting but having said that i also no people who have been told to take them off or be fined.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

how do u go about in taking out the center console part?? because i tried pulling it out, the top part comes out, but the bottom part just doesnt want to move....

btw, would 3 led T10 work better than a T10 wideangle? i found a 3 led T10 but cant find 4 led T10
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

cup holder mate, theres a scew under there. :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

WTF cup holder?

i took out the 2 screws that were underneath the cup holder, but they did nothing...

its the part between the aircon control and the headunit, that gap... that i dont know how to get out....
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

which part are you talking about? You did said the bottom part, so are you talking about the bottom part of the 1st section where attached to the clock & volt meter?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

ahh okok, yeh i get what u mean now
yeh im talking about the bottom part of the voltmeter, but yeh i know what u mean! thanks mate

im not too sure about the issue with the clock and voltmeter... do i need a LED for the needles? or i dont need to worry about them? i dont want to have a flashy hot looking clock and voltmeter, but cant see the needle...
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

10 days and still no reply? lol

the led for the aircon looks like a T5 but a little bit bigger, and the legs are wrapped neatly and tightly around the holder... if i used a T10 wide angle led which is much bigger than the standard led... and wrapped the legs around the holder... will it fit?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The recommended LEDs are listed in the original message.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

ok sorry
Stas
Apprentice

Post by Stas »

Ruchi.....ill pay you:P
come do it for me;)
sxcfto
Mechanic

Post by sxcfto »

:lol: Ruchi your a genius Im sure if your ever in my neck of the woods you and my dad would have hours of conversations about LED he's obsessed with them a little I think !!

As far as I know they have been using this sort of technology for years on aircraft cockpit dials etc....

Anyway gives me a great excuse to let him experiment with the dials on the car .....all I have to do now is show him the post !!!!!! :lol:
The Chase is better than the Catch !
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

LOL! :lol:

Don't get me started! :P LEDs are amazing and don't be surprised when you see LED replacements for normal household globes in the next couple of years.

There's various things with LEDs to be vary of, such as brightness, colour and angle of dispersment.

You might also want to check out what foe and spastic (I think) did with LEDs too. A little more complex but a good result too.

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=2448
Foe
Grease Monkey

Post by Foe »

Hey Rushi thanks! :)

Though for the record your way is better ;)
Dannyh

LED's

Post by Dannyh »

After reading this thread i've had a go at changing my bulbs to LED's. I'm a complete novice when it comes to car mechanics and electrics but after such a comprehensive "how too" I thought I would give it a go.

Ordered my LED's for the center consol to start with from Ultraled's and got to work. The Clock, Voltmeter and Cig Lighter were no problem, nor were the 2 outer lights on the air con. My problems started with the two T10's, NO WAY would they come apart without snapping, they are so firmly glued in. Bit stuck now and it's put me off attempting the dash board as those involve cutting off the housing as well.

Had another look at the Ultraleds website and came across two diffrent types of bulb that maybe someone could advise on.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... c59c440401

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... c59c440401

Could anyone tell me if these would fit in the dash board as a straight swap and if they did are they likely to offer suitable lighting?? Also would either be suitable for the air con screen?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Dan
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Foe wrote:Rushi
Ruchi (ROO-CHEE not ROO-SHE) :wink: :D

DannyH, as warned in previous messages, you may find that the manufacturer changes how they make the LEDs so it pays to try one first in case. I have found that some come apart very easily others are never going to come apart.

Which T10 globe did you use?

As for the two you linked to, it's a bit hard to tell from the photo but they look to have the wrong connector on them. They also seem to be EXTREMELY bright and relatively narrow angle, which would lead to bright spots. You might want to ask them if they have some T5 LEDs which are wide-angle, these will just slip straight in but just won't be as bright.

Alternatively, as posted before, just wait, as there will be some new LEDs coming out which will be a direct replacement. Basically they are surface mounted LEDs in a T5 form which are daylight visible and have a wide angle to avoid bright spots.
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

hey guys !
i really want to replace my lights with LEDS!
btu this look like too hard work for me !
will any place in sydney do it for me?
thanks !
Dannyh

Post by Dannyh »

Ruchi,

These are the T10's I bought:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... fbbd091721

and these are the one's I was orignally looking at for the dash:

but I suspect these will have the same glue issues.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

fto617 wrote:this look like too hard work for me !
Then wait for the new LEDs to come out and it will be much easier, they will be a direct replacement with no need for modification.
Dannyh wrote:These are the T10's I bought:
Unless they have changed supplier or the manufacturer has change the way they make them, they only had glue around the neck of the plastic base. To open them, you bend the legs out straight, then while holding the base, bend the LED about 20 degrees left and then right. It should give a small snap sound as the glue breaks, then you should be able to pull them straight out.

It's important that you bend the legs straight first, otherwise when you bend the LED you might snap off the legs as they are snuggly attached to the holder at the other end.
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

ruchi
what do u mean by new LEDs coming out?
when is this happening?[/quote]
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

ruchi wrote:As I mentioned in the sticky post on LED replacements, technology is improving all the time and it looks like we may have an even more workable solution for the FTO in the not too distant future.

There is a manufactuter who is now making LEDs which have a wide-enough angle and which are bright enough for behind the dash that are a direct replacement!!! No more striping off the plastic or soldering!!!

Now we just have to wait for these to filter down to a distributor / retail level (unless you want to buy 10,000 of them :P).