DIY: How to replace your dash bulbs with LEDs

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ellusion
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by ellusion »

ultraleds.co.uk now have direct dash replacement leds.

They will fit directly and will not require any stripping or modifying. Check them out: http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id=528
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

They've had those LEDs for a while now. But they're no good for the FTO as they're a narrow angle LED. This narrow angle combined with the extreme brightness (10,000mcd 8O) will cause bright spots.

What we're waiting on is the daylight visible surface mount T5 wedge LEDs. :wink:
MIVEC is My Friend :D
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

Anyone know where to get the T10 wide + 4led, and T5 in Adelaide SA?

Tried supercheap autos, but didnt have any..
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

went to all the different car accessory shops today here in adelaide (repco, supercheap autos, justcars, tandys, dicksmiths, and a few auto electritians). Nobody could give me any solderless LEDs.

Hey Ruchi,

could you check out the links to leds in my last post and see if their correct. I want to make sure before I order.. :wink:

cheers
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

went to all the different car accessory shops today here in adelaide (repco, supercheap autos, justcars, tandys, dicksmiths, and a few auto electritians). Nobody could give me any solderless LEDs.

Hey Ruchi,

could you check out the links to leds in my last post and see if their correct. I want to make sure before I order.. :wink:

cheers
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

ummm.... have you just randomly picked 6 different LEDs? as many of the LEDs in those links don't relate to the FTO nor are they the size or type I've mentioned before.

In my first message I listed the LEDs which I used. If you don't want to use those ones, then use ones which fit the socket sizes required. I've listed the socket sizes but it's your job to make sure the LEDs you buy fit. If you don't want all this hassle then just wait for the new LEDs that I've spoken of in more recent messages.
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Hi there,
One of my climate control bulbs has blown and I was reading through this post. I think I might just wait for the new globes to come onto the market :) and do the whole lot at once.

In regards to the new drop in replacements, does anyone know if they are coming from the mob that Ruchi refers to in his intial post? or are they local?

Mike
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

read the message at the top of page :wink: (I've only found a manufacturer of them, they haven't filtered down to a retail level yet).
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Hey Guys,

Found both the wide angle, and the 4LEDs at: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... mmerce.cgi

Cheaper than the UK, but Air mail loads! $5 by ordinary post if not in a hurry.

Someone might have already said, but after reading 4 pages, brain starts over heating.

G
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

I have now bought all the LEDs I need for the job, and soldered resistors to them...

But now after I removed the dash, I got a bit confused :? as to how to put these new LEDs inn. I didnt think that far. Ive read through the DIY but I cant seem to see it mentioned anywhere.

And what would happen if I swap all the globes (23 of them) in the dash with LEDs?

Cheers guys
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The fact that you bought normal LEDs concerns me as the angle will probably be too narrow and cause bright spots.

Re-read the section called "installation" in the first message.
mrStumpy wrote:And what would happen if I swap all the globes (23 of them) in the dash with LEDs?
ummm.... why?

Only 5 globes are used to provide the backlighting for the main dials the others are for each of the warning lights.
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

ruchi wrote:The fact that you bought normal LEDs concerns me as the angle will probably be too narrow and cause bright spots.
I bought a wide range to play areound with. Their very cheap. And there is this one:
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.a ... &SUBCATID=
I was thinking of incorporating this one in the dash. And its dimmable.
ruchi wrote:Re-read the section called "installation" in the first message.
still dont get it though.... Do I have to get little holders same size as my original dash bulbs, or can I use them, or can I just stickitape the LED's on the back of the console bulb attchment hole and hook up +w/+ -w/-, or maybe solder them inn??
ruchi wrote:
mrStumpy wrote:And what would happen if I swap all the globes (23 of them) in the dash with LEDs?
ummm.... why?

Only 5 globes are used to provide the backlighting for the main dials the others are for each of the warning lights.
...... well thats why I asked... I was unsure if I would get a more widespread light. Didnt occur to me that they are only for warning lights... I got a hangover, brain not functioning optimally... :?
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

mrStumpy wrote:
ruchi wrote:Re-read the section called "installation" in the first message.
still dont get it though.... Do I have to get little holders same size as my original dash bulbs, or can I use them, or can I just stickitape the LED's on the back of the console bulb attchment hole and hook up +w/+ -w/-, or maybe solder them inn???
http://ftogpxfs.blogspot.com/
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

you have two options

1) buy the leds that come iwth the plastic mounting bits already on them (they're a little bit more expensive)

2) buy the leds / resistors and sold them together and solder it to the points on your existing plastic mounts ...
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

Thanks smorison,

For option 2,
Do you mean smash the glass bulbs use their mounts?

Cheers
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

mrStumpy wrote:Do you mean smash the glass bulbs use their mounts?
8O ???!!!!????

ummm.... they're wedge based globes and they just pull out.

This image is in one of the messages from the first page, it is a little out of focus but you should get the idea. Just bend the legs into an upside down "L" shape and sit them over the holder.
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

Ahh thanks RuCHii,

just so I get it correct. Just pull the globe out of the wedge their stuck into and then put the LED into the wedge and then put the wedge+LED into the dash again???

Cheers mate!
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The idea is right, the wording is wrong.

Just to clarify the globes fit in a twist-lock holder / base, not a wedge. The globes themselves are called "wedge" globes because of their wedge shape.

So, pull the old wedge globe out of the twist-lock base. Then spread the legs of the LED into the upside down "L" shape and sit the LED on top of the twist-lock holder. The legs should fit into the cut away grooves where the metal contacts are on the side of the base. Then simply put the base with the LED sitting on top of it into the back of the dash panel and twist it so it locks back into place.

Remember if the LED doesn't work it means it means the polarity (+/-) is around the wrong way, so simply rotate it 180 degrees and lock it back in place.
mrStumpy
Grease Monkey

Post by mrStumpy »

Cheers bro,

gonna get stuck into it tomorrow morning :P