New rubber piping

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

eddiii
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

New rubber piping

Post by eddiii »

Just wondering does it suck more air with the pipe or it would be the same without it?

BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

its sucking colder air with that there than not, with that there (i'm assuming its air tight) it'll be sucking air from outside as opposed to from your engine bay
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

oooohhhh! I love your BMC eddii!
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Indeed!

Would be better if you could run that lower pipe all the way forward to the back of the bumper & mount it such that the air feeds direct into it from the front. Also dont forget to make a couple of drain holes in it in case you hit a deep puddle. Seen too many motors written off due to water seizing.
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

i was thinkin about mounting it at the front bar, but seems abit too much work, i actually want to do it like aza's, go back to the stock air hole and have a heat shield, but den i would need a whole new pipe from the AIM.

^^ thanks bushido, u should get 1 too :)

but do you guys know which air intake gains the most performance from experience? heard hks ones ar pretty good
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

eddiii wrote:but do you guys know which air intake gains the most performance from experience? heard hks ones ar pretty good
yeah, the green hks mushroom looking pods seem to get amazing results, up to 8kw gain if i remember correctly, but this will depend on your air feed and how insulated your airbox is.

I too have been looking for a solution to reroute cool air to my airbox. I was thinking of getting that same piping your using eddii and routing it to the mesh of the front bumper, also putting drainage holes in. Will do it soon, I'll try to add it to my current CAI diy.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

hey koolio, yeah ive seen people putting their pipe at the front grill, its a good idea, but den u will see the pipe when u look front on the car, which looks ugly? thats the only reason stopping me from doing it.
So having my set up or have the pipe go back to the stock hole with a heat shield box better?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Why do you need a pod filter or a heat sheild? That BMC unit has it all in one. Great flow with built in sheilding..
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Bennoz wrote:Why do you need a pod filter or a heat sheild? That BMC unit has it all in one. Great flow with built in sheilding..
yeah, i was thinking the same thing, but each to his own.

eddii wrote:hey koolio, yeah ive seen people putting their pipe at the front grill, its a good idea, but den you will see the pipe when you look front on the car, which looks ugly? thats the only reason stopping me from doing it.
So having my set up or have the pipe go back to the stock hole with a heat shield box better?
If i put the black piping behind the mesh, it should blend in and not be very noticeable at all so ugliness wont be an issue. Plus I dont care that much about how it looks, im more concerned with how it will perform.

definitely keep your BMC setup, its an excellent system and will be more effective than just putting heatshields. Just figure out a few cold air feed configurations till you get an effective setup.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Hey edii, as you know, my setup is 99% the same as yours, just that im using Simota filter while yours is BMC.
But i have concerns over this setup. I heard CF makes a very good material as heatshield, but how much can it take? I can see your radiator pipe touching the filter and the radiator fan is blowing hot air right towards the filter. The filter body actually can get pretty hot.

I ahve crept undernealth the car a few tims, tyring to find the best route for thr ram effect, but it looks harder than i thought. Theres just no direct route, and ended up with a couple of bends. As all of us know bends are not good.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

zuihoujueding wrote:Hey edii, as you know, my setup is 99% the same as yours, just that im using Simota filter while yours is BMC.
But i have concerns over this setup. I heard CF makes a very good material as heatshield, but how much can it take? I can see your radiator pipe touching the filter and the radiator fan is blowing hot air right towards the filter. The filter body actually can get pretty hot.

I ahve crept undernealth the car a few tims, tyring to find the best route for thr ram effect, but it looks harder than i thought. Theres just no direct route, and ended up with a couple of bends. As all of us know bends are not good.
thats the issue with the fto, space...not much room to play around with resulting in too many bends :(

thats why you gotta get a little creative with this sort of arrangement :?
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

the only way i see of getting straight air to it is either a "speed hole" in the bonnet or quarter panel...
or modifying the front bumper or take out the foog light...
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

guess now i know that lol, thought i still need a heatshield or somethin to make it cooler, :) thanks guys lol, i know im a noobie,
and another thing, its quite off topic but if i have 4 big dish rims, would it actually make my car slower even if i balance it?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

the more weight you put into a car the longer it takes to get up to speed.
what is the weight of them?

but in the long run it won't make a lot of diference with just the rims (unless they are BIG chrom rims).
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

yeah....what is the weight of them? and anyone know the weight of the stock rims?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

16kgs with rubber :D
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

dont really know the weight for it, but im plannin to get these soon in 18inch, and when it says 18 x 7.5, 18 x 8, the 7.5 and 8 is how big the dish is?

http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/Content_Com ... Chrome.seo
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

the 7.5 and 8 are the width of the rim.
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

where does it say like how big would the dish be? or i would have to call up an ask? or theres just set size for the dish?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I think the offset may come into it for the dish size.