Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Star_Lancer
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Recommended cheap paint jobs?

Post by Star_Lancer »

Hi all,

In short, my roof/spoiler has bad sun damage (nasty large white patches) and I hate it, looking to get it re-sprayed.

Can anyone recommend a place that isn't going to be over the top in price yet still be decent?

I been quoted some ridiculous prices...$6000 for whole car o_O $2300 for roof area and boot? Is this normal???

Help would be appreciated.
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Where abouts are you located?

I'm about to have my bootlid, including 23 holes (don't ask) welded up, bonnet (including beating out 3 small dents) and a front bar sprayed for around $1400. Those prices you're being quoted sound a bit out there.
Star_Lancer
Grease Monkey

Post by Star_Lancer »

I'm in West Sydney. Driving to any part of Syd though to get it done is not a problem!
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

$6000 sounds about right for a REALLY REALLY GOOD paintjob. Ive heard of paintjobs go up to more than $10,000, but these are way to much for a non-show car.

A decent paintjob that'll be more suited to everyday use with no custom stuff will set you back $2000-3000, probably even less if you have mates rates.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Star_Lancer
Grease Monkey

Post by Star_Lancer »

Not after anything custom or fancy, just black as it is atm.

$2000 sounds more reasonable.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

omg.....thats so bloody expensive! sorry i always compare prices from other nearby countries...

lol i can never put myself to spend so much on paint.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

The body condition is going to play a big part on determining the cost of a spray...

So too is replacing rubber seals and taking out windows and such, or just masking around them.... I spent about 9k cash in hand to do a bare metal respray on my Lancer, and it is a top job.. To do a respray on my FTO, is probably going to be no less then 5k...

I have a mate that will do it cheaper, but I would be doing some of the work, and I know he would just be masking around window seals and such..

I get my spraying down at Wollongong, as sydney is over priced....

I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

zuihoujueding wrote:omg.....thats so bloody expensive! sorry i always compare prices from other nearby countries...

lol i can never put myself to spend so much on paint.
Yep.. Due to labour laws and such in Aus, anything that requires a person to do any manual work, is going to cost you... And is treated as a skill rather then just a job that someone with no education can complete...

So the good thing is you don't really have slums here and a huge gap between poor and working class, like you see in other countries...
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

rock_it wrote: I get my spraying down at Wollongong, as sydney is over priced....

I agree, i always take mine down to shellharbour and i'ts saved so much money already. i find the sydney quotes are always 30% to 40% higher
Star_Lancer
Grease Monkey

Post by Star_Lancer »

Interesting advise, thanks.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

wow, cheaper spray jobs down at the gong? I'll definitely keep it in mind for my next spray. Are they decent spray jobs or just nasty backyard jobs?
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

koolio1234 wrote:wow, cheaper spray jobs down at the gong? I'll definitely keep it in mind for my next spray. Are they decent spray jobs or just nasty backyard jobs?
You've seen the Lancer.. You tell me :)

It is cheaper down the coast as they don't have to pay inflated prices for real estate.. + in Sydney, as soon as 1 panel shop inflated a price they all follow.. So they get away with it... Down the coast they are more honest.. So let me know if you need something done and I will take u to my guy..

Topao ... Where do you go.... ?
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Your lancer came out top notch, so it seems they're up there with the best. Hate all these scamming sydney sprayers. Will go to the gong for my next one. :D
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

rock_it wrote:
Topao ... Where do you go.... ?
There called Monatgue Smash Repairs, there on Sunset Ave, Shellharbour, It's been about two years since i last used them and the paint still looks news