How long should an FPR holds its pressure?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Storm
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

How long should an FPR holds its pressure?

Post by Storm »

I fonally got round to fitting my Fuel Pressure Regulator after this time making sure that all fittings were sealed with my favourite sealant, Wurths 250 degree sealant.

Everything is set up okay, it's sitting at 38psi at idle. I drove a but around town and the car is running fine but as soon as I switch the engine off the pressure drops to zero. No gradual decrease, just straight down

Then, when I go to start the car again I would have thought that the fuel pump would have brought the pressure back up but it doesn't. I have a sneaky suspicion that I could blow through the FPR before, showing that it was not sealing unless the vacum was on.

I think the FPR is not holding any pressure unless there is a vacum, which means it takes forever to start again, whereas it used to jump into life at the first turn before.

So, two questions.

1. Does the fuel pump run when the engine is switched off, but the ignition is switched on?

2. How long should the FPR hold its pressure without needing to have a vacum?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Bill
Life is short - Have an affair
nathan
Grease Monkey

Post by nathan »

not sure if this helps, but my friend has an r31 skyline with a VL turbo fuel pump, before he starts his car he always turns the ignition on for a few seconds first, this turns the pump on, no idea if this helps but yeh wanted to give my ideas :)
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

You may have it connected around the wrong way, real easy to do and common mistake.

1)yes
2) it should hold the pressure with out vacuum
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Cheers guys, I reckon there is a small split in the diaphragm.

It will hold pressure when running but it takes an eternity to get to pressure when the engine is cranking so I reckon I will stick the orginal back on and strip this one to see.

IIRC I could blow through it when it was off the car so I should have been a bit suspicious about that :oops:

Bill
Life is short - Have an affair