Re-spraying my fto

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

natebase
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re-spraying my fto

Post by natebase »

hey guys.. i got a mate thats going to respray my car in a paint booth for $350 labour.. and yes he has 14years experience so i hope the job comes out nicely lol.. we wont be replacing any seals besides the boot one, so the rest are just going to be taped up.

But my question is that i have to supply the paint, and i want a silver pearl paint, same as the silver on the stock fto, but with a nice gloss look to it, so i have been told go with 2-3coats of gloss, but i am a newbie to the paint area of cars... so yeah back to my question, how many litres of primer,pearl,silver and gloss will i need to do the old fto??
natebase
Apprentice

Post by natebase »

oh by the way im doing a auto to manual conversion and all the interior is currently stripped out, so im going to respray the doors, visible door steps and engine bay, and all this is going to be painted with a vielside kit with a stock gpx spoiler.. so any help on litres needed would be highely thanked.
maxleng
Grease Monkey

Post by maxleng »

you should be able to find dimensions of the fto by googling, or just measure it with a tape measure

assume a rectangular prism(or just work out each panel if you cbf) and calculate surface area. get a rough measurement in m^2 go to a paint shop and say you want Xm^2 to be painted how many litres would i roughly need and theyd easily be able to tell you.

they would probably know how much you would need for a full respray anyway without calculating anything, just call a body repair shop or something.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Shouldnt your painting friend with 14yrs experience be able to tell you that? :?

Anyway just painted mine, 4 litres primer and paint should do it depending on how good he is and I didnt clear coat mine so it would only be a guess but i would say about 4 litres of clear (talk to your paint supplier about this). Also I recommend doing at least 5 clear coats as minimum.
natebase
Apprentice

Post by natebase »

yeh the painting friend is my sisters boyfriends brother.. lol a little bit of a friend through a friend, havnt met him, but he said to his bro for me to supply the paint, and yeah go from there, its getting done in a booth at his boss's shop, so $350 labour and say a carton of jack cause im nice, i cant be complaining.. and yeah, im going for the darker grey like the db9 grey colour, sorta half between the stock fto and the db9, and gonnna put 2 racing stripes down the middle, (i know racing stripes lolol, but no, ive seen a few before and i love it), the stripes are only going to be a couple shades darker then the paint, so you cant notice it like a headache.

oh and got me civic lambo door setup yesterday, so thats going to get fit soon, little bit of shaving of the wings there for that, and gotta shave off the side mirrors for hinge room.. then got the manual conversion, getting my interior retrimmed and fitted back into my currently bare metal car... then the manual conversion, then the body kit, then the paint... so yeah i got some time to sit around and ponder my paint scheme i spose, so dont be surprised if it turns out a different colour lol.

Untill then im saving all my pics till the finish day then i will post on a progress page of all the blood sweet and beers =)
natebase
Apprentice

Post by natebase »

oh yeah, i should correct myself, getting a little bit ahead of myself lol, the interior should be last duhh.
my current budget is $18k but like we all know, might be more $28k when im done =\
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Id be very careful of that civic lambo kit mate. I have done extensive research in this area and was very close to fabricating my own but there were too many obsticles to over come. You should do a search on lambo doors on this site and see what i mean. The only hiinge kit i would even consider is a members off this site called umm. Look in hte parts for sale section.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

I8A4RE wrote:Id be very careful of that civic lambo kit mate. I have done extensive research in this area and was very close to fabricating my own but there were too many obsticles to over come. You should do a search on lambo doors on this site and see what i mean. The only hiinge kit i would even consider is a members off this site called umm. Look in hte parts for sale section.
+1