need opinions on perfomance, for a newbie

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

millsy
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

need opinions on perfomance, for a newbie

Post by millsy »

hey guys, im jade, how are ya all?.
anyway, i just got my hands on a white fto GPvR auto (1997, and bone stock) (i traded it for a hyundai coupe, ha).anyway, i just want to know some stuff that i think only fto drivers would know, there are a few point i would like to cover, but pretty much all i need are basic yes or no answers, elaberation would b great aswel.

1st of all, manual conversion. i have found a place to get every little thing for it for $900, but my fto has a lot of go in it, basically i love manuals, but would i see much performance from that? or do fto's (or even more specifically, gpr's) have a great tip gearbox that is tuned to almost perfection?

another thing is i might put a pod filter on (KandN of course), but, once again, do i need one? or is stock tuned to the best result mitsubishi can get?

and same with the muffler, (i already have got a performance cat) but the exhaust sounds AMAZING stock, should i keep it or should i sacrifice some sound for performance and get a cannon (or dual cannon even)?

that should be it for now, thanks for taking the time to read, and im sure to be asking a few more questions this week, so look out for me, ha. thanks guys
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Hey mate, welcome to the club :)

Manuals conversions can be done, check this link:
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... ic&t=10124
You'll pickup 10kws over the tip box.

Pod filter & intake pipe (do a search there's a kazillion threads on them) can give you another 10kws if done right... and an awesome induction noise.

Biggest restrictions in the exhaust are the collector pipe where the 2 headers meet under the engine & the cat (which you've already done.) Mufflers a muffler providing its a straight through type as opposed to a baffle type. Do yourself a favour & ditch the cannon idea. Every tosser with a Mugen sticker on his door has one. Go for a high flow unit that will replace the factory one. You'll keep the noise & the look.

Sort all that & you'll end up with around 110-120 kws at the front wheels (stock is about 90.)

Further down the track you may want to invest in a piggyback ECU. Some guys here are seeing in excess of 130 kws at the front wheels with them. Thats almost a 30% power increase over stock.

Hope that helps! ;)
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Yep, what he said. Ive got 132kw at the wheels from following that basic recipe. Manual does give you more than tip. Having said that, it does depend on the driver as well. Having owned both, I can definitely say the manual has more. I dont know anyone that has done the conversion that has been disappointed. If you want more infor, send a PM to muchacho32. He got it done about 6 months ago.

With a GPvR youll be loving the limited slip diff. That always adds as well.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Yep, what he said. Ive got 132kw at the wheels from following that basic recipe. Manual does give you more than tip. Having said that, it does depend on the driver as well. Having owned both, I can definitely say the manual has more. I dont know anyone that has done the conversion that has been disappointed. If you want more infor, send a PM to muchacho32. He got it done about 6 months ago.

With a GPvR youll be loving the limited slip diff. That always adds as well.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      millsy
      Grease Monkey

Post by millsy »

great, i just chucked a KandN filter in, gee it sounds great, and decided to ditch the cannon muffler idea, coz mine sounds so good now. but if i get an aftermarket hi-flow muffler would it sound VERY simular to what i have now?or different (in a good way, if thats possible)?
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

The highflow cat wont effect the noise, but will give you a few extra HP. If you swap the muffler over, you will get a different noise (I have a couple of triple flow mufflers on mine). Choose the right one and it will give you better performance and a pleasant sound.
        koolio1234
        Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Yeah, a nice sports muffler should do the trick. Don't even bother with cannons, too noisy in my opinion.

Good luck! :thumleft:
        [img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]