new clutch needed (queensland)

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

I dont understand why its gotta be all custom made too :? Sure 300kws is up there, but its not 700kws. I plan on going over 300kws soon enough & am hoping the EVO sports organic I got will cope.

Not only that, in the scheme of things, there are 2 other off the shelf items in the Excedy range to suit the EVO III that are heavier duty than what I have, the Sports Ceramic & the Race Ceramic.

Unless you plan on running slicks, your car will do exactly what mines does best - lights up & fries the front tyres :lol:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

yano wrote:Nah NPC build their own clutches. But if they don't make a certain clutch, they'll just suggest an exedy.

Michael, honestly mate before you commit yourself to something Jim Berry is building you, do some research on him. I know someone that almost lost their legs thanks to a clutch kit he built using shotty parts.

If you have time, call Daniel at elite racing developments or better yet call and take your car over to him to look over. He should be able to put something together for you and he won't rip you off. The thing with ERD is that they'll charge you cost price on parts, so he doesn't make money off that sh*t. He's a top bloke too.
Cheers for the recommendation .. I'll check out ERD next time I need something done .. I was looking at a place called BEST Performance, they look like they've got a good rep for High Performance cars, have you heard anything about them?

Everything I'd read up about Jim Berry suggested good things & highest quality workmanship etc etc .. needless to say I didn't look at the skyline au forums until now.. 'tis a bit worrying ..

..but..I can't seem to find any specifics about the incident on there though, so I can't really understand the whole situation or what / why it happened exactly :|

From what I've read etc .. there seem to be heaps of cars out there running 800HP with Jim Berry clutches & no problems.. *famous last words* (knock on wood)
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Bennoz wrote:I dont understand why its gotta be all custom made too :? Sure 300kws is up there, but its not 700kws. I plan on going over 300kws soon enough & am hoping the EVO sports organic I got will cope.

Not only that, in the scheme of things, there are 2 other off the shelf items in the Excedy range to suit the EVO III that are heavier duty than what I have, the Sports Ceramic & the Race Ceramic.

Unless you plan on running slicks, your car will do exactly what mines does best - lights up & fries the front tyres :lol:
'tis the first time getting the clutch re-done ;) gotta splurge right? :P

The way I see it, this beast already had a pretty tough ass clutch in it & lasted a few good years .. I will see how this one goes and might just get a Brand New Exedy unit thrown in .. will see how you go with your Exedy first ;) lol

As soon as I get my baby back I'm going to be up for new tyres within a week for sure :P
The worst thing was limping it down to the mechanics & not being able to leave the couple of Skylines / Supras in a cloud of smoke like we both know I wanted to.. :(
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

I've heard a little bit about BEST but nothing from people I actually know well. I can't reccommend ERD enough though.

Hopefully your clutch problems get sorted out soon though mate. I forgot that the evo units fit in the fto's so you've basically got the exedy range to choose from if you're going for a brand new clutch.

As for tyres, look into federal rsr's 8) Be good to have that beast on the road again