General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bennieboy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbocharging a GR and NOT a GPX?

Post by bennieboy »

Hello everyone,

before I being I know turbo charging is much more difficult than bolting on a turbo and intercooler.

What I want to know is that does the MIVEC engines commplicate the turbo charging process? Due to valve timing etc? I dont really know but I just thought that it would be easier to turbo charge a GR and not a GPX.

ta

benny
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i wouldn't say turbo'ing a GR is easier than a GPX, but yes the valve timing on the MIVEC does complicate the tuning side of things a little because when it kicks in, the factory computer alters the fuel mapping and ignition timing for the high rpms... when you add boost into the equation, you will end up in a tricky situation where there is too ,uch fuel when the turbo kicks in (usually at low revs) and run lean at high rpms (as the turbo runs out of puff)..

i have seen examples in Zoom whereby the tuner would lower the MIVEC activation point because the turbo would compensate for power in the top end.. Sounds good in theory, but not sure in practice...
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

if you are going to turbo the FTO engine go for the non mivec engines.

If you are serious about getting the FTO turboed consider the 6a13 engine from the VR4 type s legnum or galant post 96, ( get a half cut if you can )then you can easily sell the mivec engine out of the GPX and the 6A13 will bolt straight in, then you just need to make a few modes and get some custom manifolds made and swap most things from the half cut on to the fto
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

or if you have that little bit extra to spend, you can always do what the crazy nutters do at Japan - slip in the 4G63B from the Lancer Evo!! :lol: