Hello! New to the forums...

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

snicholmeister
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Hello! New to the forums...

Post by snicholmeister »

Hi everyone, my name is Sam and I've recently picked up a replacement for my 1987 Toyota MR2: a 1997 Mitsubishi FTO GPX with just 95,xxx KM on the clock. Metallic black paintwork. Third owner overall, second in Australia (first male :P). Has a few decent mods put on in Japan including:

- Tein coilovers
- Super Advans (blue lip)
- ARC cold air intake box
- Blitz pod filter
- Chassis brace
- Mivec controller
- 5Zigen exhaust
- Version R wing

Also has a pretty okay sound system, old japanese carriozessia-brand ;) Two amps, one powering speakers and the other a sub the previous owner removed. Picked a Focal one up with a box from a mate for $100, took only 20 mins to install :)

Pretty happy with it overall, however there are a few issues: the paintwork is a bit rough in areas - the front bar could definitely use a respray. The interior is a little rough also, a few tears in the recaro-style seats that I'm hoping can be repaired cheaply. Couple of other little issues like tie rod end boots both split etc.

Biggest problem for me is the air-con leak, particularly with the temperature hitting 42 degrees most of the day. Gawd I hope it's not the evaporator :(
El_Ade
Grease Monkey

Post by El_Ade »

WTTC! :D

Sounds like you have a pretty sweet ride despite your air con problem :lol:

i was actually gunna buy an mr2 before i bought my fto, fto the better choice in your opinion?

Be sure to throw some pics up in gallery :thumleft:
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

WTTC buddy.

Where you located man?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

WTTC mate :D
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

And a hi from me :D WTTC.
xj265
Mechanic

Post by xj265 »

WTTC, sounds like quite a good FTO you got there!
snicholmeister
Apprentice

Post by snicholmeister »

Thanks for the kind words, people :D

I've only got my phone atm but I'll see if I can get a few good pics to give a sample of what it's like. I'm sure you all know what an FTO looks like though :P
i was actually gunna buy an mr2 before i bought my fto, fto the better choice in your opinion?
It's a lot different, the FTO obviously has more power (I've got the N/A hardtop MR2) but nothing handles quite like a mid-engined rear-drive car :)

A test-drive is highly recommended, they're awesome little machines.

RE: location - I'm right in the middle! Alice Springs 8)
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

WTTC and sounds like a awesome car mate. Congrats. Photos FTW ;)
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

snicholmeister wrote:Thanks for the kind words, people :D

I've only got my phone atm but I'll see if I can get a few good pics to give a sample of what it's like. I'm sure you all know what an FTO looks like though :P
It's a lot different, the FTO obviously has more power (I've got the N/A hardtop MR2) but nothing handles quite like a mid-engined rear-drive car :)

A test-drive is highly recommended, they're awesome little machines.

RE: location - I'm right in the middle! Alice Springs 8)
very nice mod list, looks to be tastefully done up except the subs in my opinion.

ive driven my cousins old softop mr2 which was intended for track, and it was hard to stop the rear from twitching especially on round abouts.

downside was you can only fit groceries under the bonnet, space is so small!

quick little things through the corners, but he always said its either low speed understeer or fast speed ''f**k im going to die''- oversteer

welcome to the club
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

jay wrote:but he always said its either low speed understeer or fast speed ''f**k im going to die''- oversteer
no doubt

WTTC :thumleft:
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

WTTC, you will love it here.. see my sig btw
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
snicholmeister
Apprentice

Post by snicholmeister »

J wrote:very nice mod list, looks to be tastefully done up except the subs in my opinion.

ive driven my cousins old softop mr2 which was intended for track, and it was hard to stop the rear from twitching especially on round abouts.

downside was you can only fit groceries under the bonnet, space is so small!

quick little things through the corners, but he always said its either low speed understeer or fast speed ''f**k im going to die''- oversteer

welcome to the club
Yeah I'm pretty happy with the existing mods, actually struggling to think of what to do next with it.

Have to agree about the luggage space in the MR2 lol. Mine's got two boots, both minutely small. I keep all my detailing products in the frunk :P

Mine didn't get too much understeer, I had coilovers/swaybars etc. But yeah, pretty much any oversteer is dangerous. I think the problem is there's too much weight on the rear wheels so as soon as you lose traction it keeps trying to regain it.

Span out once, with my father in the car unfortunately :(
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Hey sam mate I am up in Darwin lol. Are you going to come up for powercruise it's on may 8 and 9 I am defently taking my car down their would be good to see another FTo Down. We could line the cars up for a race down the track
snicholmeister
Apprentice

Post by snicholmeister »

I have to admit I thought about driving up for a second but I just don't have the time or money, unfortunately. I'd love to meet some fellow FTO owners :)

Just an update on my AC progress: I've spent around $1000 so far, which includes a replacement compressor and a shitload of labour. They've only now determined that the evaporator also has a hairline fracture down the flange and further down the pipe. Said they could weld it but it wouldn't last long. So basically I'm up for a new evaporator too. Unless I can find a replacement pipe bit that attaches to the back. Waiting to hear back from a wrecker.

Worst part (disregarding monetary cost of course) is they left the evap out which means I now have no fan either. Really disappointed, to be honest I almost regret buying the car :cry:
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

well dont drive up fly up for it man and i will take u for a spin in the car haha. powercruise is so much fun man you need to come do it haha