I8A4RE Turbo thread: Questions and Comments

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

yano
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by yano »

AMACHA wrote: and the intercooler at the front makes me want to f*** your cars brains out
Join the list...

Oh and tippin9, the number plates not sitting at all :lol: :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yano28 wrote:
AMACHA wrote: and the intercooler at the front makes me want to f*** your cars brains out
Join the list...

Oh and tippin9, the number plates not sitting at all :lol: :lol:
bahahaha, yeah i havent exactly had my number plate on. But i will be getting one shortly, i lost the last one
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

I8A4RE wrote:
Delvance wrote:If you want big power with forced induction, you need a decomp gasket dude. Be tight now and pay LOTS more later.

Just look at most of jap performance turbo from factory cars and pay attention to their comp ratio. It's lower than hi output and/a setups. You're gonna get some serious knocking if you run the normal comp ratio and put big boost in and we all know what knocking leads to (just look at sam's engine block pic).
Yeah i know that compression is important for turboes cars, but please remember im not going for BIG POWER, just a kick in the pants if you know what i mean. :D
Hey simon what exatly makes that dosing noise like that stu tu tu tu noise?is it a BOV?i didnt think it is cus they make noises like pshhht
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey man it depends on a lot of things buddy. You can actuallly buy blow off valves these days that do make the psshht noise eg. hks ssqv does this and also so does the greddy type r. when you change gears softly like not giving it to it they psssssshtt or dose but when u are racing they make a quick pshht.
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

nvr2low wrote:hey man it depends on a lot of things buddy. You can actuallly buy blow off valves these days that do make the psshht noise eg. hks ssqv does this and also so does the greddy type are. when you change gears softly like not giving it to it they psssssshtt or dose but when you are racing they make a quick pshht.
Hmmm ok but my mate had a s15silva with 12psi boost and when he was reving it while he was pulling in it was oging stu tu tu tuo not that pshht noise hmmmm
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

i took my mates r33 for a drive the night and he has the most insane turbo flutter under normal driving , i was in heaven all night driving it. If i am correct their is turbo flutter and dosing. Dosing is bad for your turbos abd turbo flutter is a noise the bov makes whichs flutters the sounds and the noise goes a little longer.
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Congrats on the build Simon, looks like a very tidy job and really finishes the car off.
F*** me I want one... :twisted:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I8A4RE wrote:As requested:

Nicely done! 8)

Gotta love the consistent & easy non mivec curve.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Cheers ben, she is a real pleasure to drive. I wish i could see your face when you take your monster for its first drive ;)

Amacha, sorry man i have no idea what the hell your talking about. Are you talking about a noise that occurs when accelerating or on decel?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

TopCat wrote:Congrats on the build Simon, looks like a very tidy job and really finishes the car off.
F*** me I want one... :twisted:
Thanks mate, if you were here i would take you for a drive.....then you would reallllyy want one :lol:
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

honestly simon top work i was reaidng htorugh this thread you have done some great work...

Im after this noise

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lbU7C0VDk ... re=related
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

i think he means this noise, i love it as well

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8PvFlZumv ... re=related

also i found this bit of info on nissansilvia.com for you, it can probably describe it better for you than i can ;)

The "chopping" or "fluttering" sound is caused by the accoustic effects in the intake system, determined by the size and length of the piping / cooler.
Rather than air constantly flowing back out of the turbo it tends to come out in bursts, triggered by pressure waves in the piping hitting the compressor.

Generally though the flutter is the sound of the pressure wave cause by the throttle closing bouncing back and forth between the turbo and the throttle plate (the longer the pipes the slower the flutter).
Every time the wave hits the turbo it causes the compressor to cavitate, which makes the noise.

It's not the blades chopping the air making the flutter. Since the blades are spinning at 80000+rpm you wouldn't be able to hear the individual "chops"

If you listen closely you'll actually hear a more constant hiss sound at higher boost levels and rpm when backing off. (ie, a "whooosh" rather than a "chop chop chop")

The loudest flutter tends to occur at lower rpm and boost levels of only slightly above atmospheric pressure (0psi). This is partly because the sound is "chopped" up more noticeably, and partly because the rest of the car is making less noise at lower speeds. This is also where it's least damaging.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

lol

Im putting the quietest one I can find on mine... the last thing I want is every dickhead with a 27" cannon muffler & chrome wheels wanting to take me on at the lights cause they heard "Whoop-ish" or any uneccessary attention from the police.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Mate, that noise is pressurised air being fed back the through the turbo. This has been known to bend the blades of the turbo. Now, it is debatable whether this is good or bad for the turbo and with my limited knowledge i would not know. However, i would not risk it as turbo's are too expensive for me to have to change on regular basis.

They would achieve this by either not having a BOV or disconnecting it. You would have to speak to your tuner about that.

In saying that, the sound my BOV makes, is all the noise i need. It sounds wicked.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

sorry on just saw tippin's msg then. It could be that either
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

Ed_EViL wrote:that's almost sexier the Mizzfto!
what!!! almost .... ???

maybe your appreciation for fto turbo setups is not as extensive as mine lol

no offence mizzfto haha :lol:
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

wtf, where did his post go ???
Ed_EViL
Grease Monkey

Post by Ed_EViL »

i deleted it cos of the spelling

plus it probably wasn't the best statement..
it is sexier!!
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

ahh kk hehe :D

quick question, if you get rid of the aircon unit and pipes then you should be able to run the left intercooler piping up and across the front of the rocker cover, correct?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yes but why would yo want to loose your a/c? Also by having the piping coming from that side you will have more piping. more piping = more expense