Mysterious starting problem

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jono
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Mysterious starting problem

Post by Jono »

ive had this mysterious starting problem that occurs every 30 40 times i start the car. it is pretty random..... ive had the car checked for its connections from battery to starter motor , as i have relocated the battery to the boot. the terminals we're not soldered onto the wire, so they did that, and it started fine for the next month or so and didnt take much for it to start.

now it has come back...... should i suppose it is the leads again?

The starting problem sounds like cupacino machine making the milk frothy...it also doesnt kick as much or none as normal when the problem occurs.
It can happen when the car is warm or when the car is cold.
Idling is fine always so its not the stepper motor????

Any suggestions?

Jono
Richc2
Apprentice

Post by Richc2 »

If idling is fine then its deifnitely not the stepper motor.
judging from what you said, there could only be 3 possibilites.
The starter (ignition coil) ,alternator or fuel pump. The fuel pump should be fine as if it has a problem, you would still hear the engine trying start normally but not starting because there's no fuel going into the chambers.
If the alternator is faulty then there is not enuf current being supplied to the batteries hence the sparkplugs. Easy way to verify this is check your battery's current and during engine operating current.
Lastly, this is most probably the case for your problem is there is not spark during ignition which could be caused by worn spark plugs or failing ignition coil. First check the front sparkplugs by a good mechanic as one would be able to tell from looking at the plugs if its a problem. Secondly, how many km's have your car done as it might need the rear platinum plugs to be replaced. Hope this helps. Good luck
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

reading that it may sound like a spark plug problem..
cos since ive owned the car for a year and a half(95gpx) mechanics have not changed my sparkies yet...
ive had the alternator reconditioned also , so there is enough charge...

jono