Steve's Honda's repair log

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Supplanter
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Supplanter »

Astron_Boy wrote:About the only time Honda does things right IMO ;)
LED ALL the things.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Unless you strap a seat to that and you push, they still failed :P
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

:lol: honda bashing thread much
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

I am not bashing honda, they make some of the best mowers in the world.
LED ALL the things.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

sublime19 wrote:CBR250 is pretty THE bike to get on your learners.

It looks good, drives good and is probably the best 250 you can get without blowing your budget.
I have actually found that riding non sports bikes is the easiest way to learn ... Sports bike = Opposite turning .. Which is hard to get use to on your L's ... By this I mean .. If you want to turn right, you effectively turn your wheel about 35% to the left, and tip the bike to the right and move it with your body ... A cruiser is just point and shoot...

With the new rules for the CC power/weight you can have on your L's, you can't go past bikes like the Suzuki GS500F and even the Kawasaki ER6nl (Hell you can even get a Ninja 650RL) ... They are a little bigger, so people like me can ride them ... I tried to fit on a 250cc, and it was not right ... Even the Aprilia RS 125 is such a tiny bike ... But yeah, if you are shorter, then you have more options ...

I bought a brand new GS500 with all riding gear (brand new) for under 10K ... And, my riding gear was not cheap .. Shoie, Alpine Stars, Draggin Jeans, and Oxtar boots... So, if you start shopping around now, and buy the previous years model, you would be surprised what you could get...
sublime19 wrote:I've got 6-7 friends who ride bikes, all started on CBR 250.. I've been a huge bike fan for ages but sadly, everybody says this - "If you have friends that ride bikes, they'll directly know at least one person that's been horribly injured or died due to a bike crash".
Natural part of life .. I know my fare share of people who have been killed in car accidents too ... + Cancer/Heart Attacks and everything related to diseases caused by smoking ... So you get that with every risk in life....
sublime19 wrote:Also the good old "The only way to survive on a bike is to realise that as far as everybody else is concerned, you don't exist".

That really talked me out of getting one, I've always wanted one since I was young though..
True ... But also remember .. you can out brake, out manoeuvre, and accelerate at a greater speed then a car, which can pull you out of most situations ... Also, by not riding in known blind spots, you will have a safer journey ... I have had a couple of accidents in my 7+ years of riding on the streets.. But, each one of these has been because I was not paying attention ... Or at least the higher attention required for bike riding that is...
I8A4RE wrote: yup thats exactly why i dont own one... I love them like crazy and have been tempted so many times to buy one but that same thought keeps coming back. Then I moved to QLD and thought..................... HELL NO
I use to think like that till I started riding ... Sydney has some shocking drivers, and some sh*t roads ... But you really have to look at how often you would be riding... And where ... If it is just a weekend thing, I am sure it wouldn't be that bad ... I have gone through stages with my riding ... Daily commuting, and riding every Wednesday night with a group (plus the odd Sunday here and there) ... To only commuting to and from work ... To only riding 800k's in a 12 month period .. And now back to the commute ... Rain/Hail/Shine ...

Here is the most up to date list of bikes you can get...

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/dow ... 100202.pdf
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

I agree with Craig. Get something bigger that you won't be bored of after a few months. With the new licensing laws this should make the bigger capacity bikes more sense to own. That is not to say that a CBR250RR ( and other little sports bikes) wont be fun but most have been thrashed to hell. WIth this bike is particular, most owners can't resist to revving the little bugger to 19000rpm. Sounds like tits but how long till it goes boom. I have ridden one and although a good bike, they are overpriced and most all have high mileage.

For you J is would be looking at;

Honda VTR250
Suzuki GS500
Kawasaki ER5
Hyosung GT250/GT650RL <---- (people bash these because they're Korean lol..not a bad bike IMO)

All can be picked up for a good price.

From personal experience, if you want to evetually end up on the latest sports bike, learning to ride on one is a good idea. Coming off such a peaky little 2 stroke I had to completely change my riding style to the fuel injected 4 stroke license shredder. Still getting used to the "snappiness" of the throttle but all the roadcraft I have gained from riding my little Aprilia still carries on riding the Honda.

And at the end of the day riding a bike is about the experience, not what bike you have. Yes riding is dangerous but so is doing coke and popping pills. What's life with no risk anyway? f**king boring IMO.. So come up with the main things you want in the bike (looks, sound, reliability, torque, lightness, fairings/no fairings, reliabilty etc...) and go from there. Good luck mate ;)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

yeh ive seen those hayosungs but never gave them much though.... sounds like a cheap panasonic television.... ill look into them further

while im here

:D :D :D
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

LOL V-tec in a DeLo
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

ROR

blahahhahahahaha
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

should have my bike learners by wednesday if theres room for the DKT. pre-learners practical is a piece of cake i swear

for the riders

cbr250r vs. ninja - whats your pick?
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

i think the stats are that you have "serious" accident every 18 months

forget where i heard that from and i dont know what they classify "serious" as, i think it means anything out of a carpark but im not sure

i reckon you should get a cheap sh*t bike first and drive around in that first and make sure that you are good enough

too many sh*t bike riders around these days killing themselves, happened twice in the past 6 months around were i live

not to long ago a bloke was pulling out at an intersection where i live and a bike can flying through and smashed into the side of his car

and awhile ago before that there is the small bump on the top of kariong hill thats barely visible and some bikey went over it and lost control
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

I almost got sideswiped yesterday. f**king Indians!

Which ninja are you talking about J?

Ninja 250R (the one eveyrone seems to be riding nowaways)

Ninja ZX2R (old school cbr rival) <---- very fast for a learner IMO

I reckon get a GPX250R if you're going kawasaki. The Ninja 250R is just the same platform with a different body and lots more expensive.

CBR250RR are very expensive for what they are. Half the time the km arent even legit.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

bushido wrote:I almost got sideswiped yesterday. f**king Indians!

Which ninja are you talking about J?

Ninja 250R (the one eveyrone seems to be riding nowaways)

Ninja ZX2R (old school cbr rival) <---- very fast for a learner IMO

I reckon get a GPX250R if you're going kawasaki. The Ninja 250R is just the same platform with a different body and lots more expensive.

CBR250RR are very expensive for what they are. Half the time the km arent even legit.
the cbr250R is preety cheap, like 3.5-4.5k

i like the gpx's aswell and im going to check one out on friday :D

ive also heard about restricted 600cc which come restricted for learners... then you unrestrict them and youve got a 600cc bike. this worth a look into?

btw how can u tell if kms are legit with bikes?
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

The restricted bikes have a carby slide which can be removed on some bike.

I know the Hyosung GT650RL have the ability (pre 2009) models becuase the newer ones are fuel injected. Dont know if you can unrestrict them but they are a big bike. Might be a little initimidating.

I dont know how to tell if the km are legit. But if the services are up to date (ask for recepits or logbook) with valve clearances check as per owners manual, CBR250rr are bllody reliable little buggers. You could always get a compression test done though..
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

thanks for the info mate
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

ok most probly have a bike by monday... BUT i need a helmet and a jacket.

im a noob at bikes and apparel so if you guys can hint me in the right direction for gear it would help allot

budget for helmet is somewhere around the $500-$800 mark
budget for jacket is somewhere around the $800 mark

of course i would not like to spend heaps if i dont have to, as long as it doesnt not comprimise on safety... and i dont want to get ass raped by a salesperson because i have no clue what to look for
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

J wrote:ok most probly have a bike by monday... BUT i need a helmet and a jacket.

im a noob at bikes and apparel so if you guys can hint me in the right direction for gear it would help allot

budget for helmet is somewhere around the $500-$800 mark
budget for jacket is somewhere around the $800 mark

of course i would not like to spend heaps if i dont have to, as long as it doesnt not comprimise on safety... and i dont want to get ass raped by a salesperson because i have no clue what to look for
SHOEI for helmet .. Can pick up one for $700
Alpine Stars leather jacket should set you back about $800

What about pants ... Please tell me you are not going to ride in normal run of the mill jeans... And how about shoes... Do you value your ankles ???
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Something to get you started...

Helmet .. $599
http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=8490

Shoes - At worst these .. I personally use Oxtar though ... $249
http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=6182

Leather Jacket ... Alpinestars ... Level entry .. $699
http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=8611

Jacket - at worst ... RJays - $299
http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=6963

Pants ... Kevlar lined jeans .. $209.95 (I use Draggin)
http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=2450

Or Hornee Jeans - $169 - Never had 'em but heard they are good ..
http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=6537

Gloves - AlpineStars - These are the Shiznit - $249
http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=9740

If you can't afford to get all the apparel ... Don't ride ... It may seem harsh, but I know too many people that have been seriously injured whilst learning .. Please don't be one of them ...
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

rough guide;

you dont need a 800+ helmet.

A HJC AC12 carbon will cost $450 and when reviewed against others in some test I read a while ago, it come out for best protection.

As a first jacket get something that has a removable liner ( not leather ). This will be roughly $250-$350.

Pants yes the draggins or hornees. Can also get textile pants with removable liner. Price from $180-$350.

Gloves a must!. A* and dainese make very good gloves. If you plan on riding in winter you will need a winter glove too. Dont get a "race" glove, although they give best protection. Get a summer and a winter glove. SUmmer - $60. WInter $120.

ANd shoes. I highly recommend the falco sidi. $180 very good protection, waterproof, looks awesome and very comfy. DOnt get a race boot either.