Honest opinions, because I really don't know... Volvo

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTEvolution
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Honest opinions, because I really don't know... Volvo

Post by FTEvolution »

I am to the point where I want a cheap car for maybe 6-12 months that is nice to ride in and all that...

Really have a woody for Europeans now so I am looking at this sort of thing:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =277030618

Anyone know much about these? They are so cheap over here at the moment and I am happy enough to buy one and then bin it when it breaks (if I get 6-12 months out of it I guess).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =272716626

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =259364971

Opinions? I need something for when the FTO is taken off the road for mods

EDIT! Forget the second Volvo, I didn't notice that it had transmission issues...
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

those volvos are quite good
my friend owns one of them
nice comfy interior in the front and back
her parents have owned it since new and gave it to her
i dont think they have ever had a major problem with it
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Cheers Brad, any other input? I am also in love with Mercs atm... input on those? Particularly round light E and C class ones
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Seriously couldnt pay enough to sit in let alone drive let alone own a volvo. We had a saying back in the day.

I bought a volvo casue i wanted to walk to work
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

I8A4RE wrote:Seriously couldnt pay enough to sit in let alone drive let alone own a volvo. We had a saying back in the day.

I bought a volvo casue i wanted to walk to work
they are that bad huh?

what about the second part? mercs?

Smooth and sleepy

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Mercs are nice but bloody expensive to repair when parts fail.

Cant remember what NZ is like for parts on merc's but you will get reamed here in oz
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

I8A4RE wrote:Mercs are nice but bloody expensive to repair when parts fail.

Cant remember what NZ is like for parts on merc's but you will get reamed here in oz
There are so many mercs here it isn't funny, though I would be probably setting myself up to fail buying 2nd hand parts. Apparently the biggest issue with Mercs here is that they are assembled in Hong Kong (not sure if that's true) or just simply assembled in Asia; I don't know if that is a problem per-se, but apparently the humidity at construction times causes pre-mature failure of components, particularly electronics.

Then again, I'm in love, and can't help myself :S

I guess I could always buy one, then when it sh*ts itself I could drop a toyota 4.5l V8 into it XD

OOOOOOR... RWD 6A13TT action bichez

Smooth and sleepy

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Personally i would stick to jap, the only time i would go euro is when we start talking exotics.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

I8A4RE wrote:Personally i would stick to jap, the only time i would go euro is when we start talking exotics.
I guess, but how the hell do you get over these "omfg i must have one" moments? That was what made me get an FTO in the first place haha

I really want something extremely roomy and svelte to travel in; i'm sick of long distance with a small cramped sports car lol

2,000km with me, the missus and her sister and mother over xmas were agonising lol

Smooth and sleepy

Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

My mate owns one of those Volvos, in addition to his skyline. He absolutely loves it and claims to have had no problems with it...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I hate to say it but get a honda accord or better yet, a steve millian maxima
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The only Volvo you should get is a 240 with an LS2 in it 8)

Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

850R
LED ALL the things.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

I8A4RE wrote:I hate to say it but get a honda accord or better yet, a steve millian maxima
new toyota aurions are really nice aswell... packs a decent punch
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I have to agree with Ben the 240's are the way to go :D
my mate now has 5 of them two have 5L V8's in them and they are great fun :twisted:
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

J wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:I hate to say it but get a honda accord or better yet, a steve millian maxima
or a mitsubishi verada. 3.5l engine i think. and they have like the kind of leather seats that you sink into
its like really soft leather

they are also quite reliable and going for a decent price
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

brad_gpx wrote:
J wrote:
or a mitsubishi verada. 3.5l engine i think. and they have like the kind of leather seats that you sink into
its like really soft leather

they are also quite reliable and going for a decent price
Yeah Kaz has the new Aurion, it really hauls arse, just a shame it handles like a boat.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Yeah but, guys... um, it's not like I have won the lottery> I am looking for bang for buck to get me around in style for 6-12 months. I won't be putting down large sums of money because I want to put that into the FTO lol...

A brand new car isn't an option

A cheap Euro is though, but I know that parts are a bitch, so I am kinda looking for "the best of the worst" so to speak

Smooth and sleepy

koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

E30 or E36 bmw 3 series....325i or 5 series....fairly reliable from my experience.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

FTEvolution wrote:Yeah but, guys... um, it's not like I have won the lottery> I am looking for bang for buck to get me around in style for 6-12 months. I won't be putting down large sums of money because I want to put that into the FTO lol...

A brand new car isn't an option

A cheap Euro is though, but I know that parts are a bitch, so I am kinda looking for "the best of the worst" so to speak
id get the verada
though go for nothing i remember like under 6k i think
nice and powerful to