Exhausts?

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Dan25
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Dan25 »

:O I told you there were other cheaper options available!
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

You seem cute KatieFTO. My advice is to take someone with you who knows a bit about exhausts. You don't want to be ripped off do you now??.

But Dan25's suggestion of a possible system sounds the goods :D. You dont need stainless though.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Im happy to go in with you Katie to make sure you dont get ripped, BTW did you get bew engine in no probs?
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

vipfto wrote:Only one resonator needed, with good rear muffler and hi-flow cat
I got 2, but no rear muffler, and mine is far too loud as it is... maybe the lack of rear muffler then... then again, we don't have to use catalytic converters here so I guess they also act as a silencer too.
I8A4RE wrote:Totally agree, 2 is over kill 3 is just ridiculous.
If you get a bassy drone in your cabin then it's time for more resonators. Even with 3 mine's still gunna be loud :S

Then again, I have never put an exhaust on a non-turbo FTO so these fellas know far more than I do about that part...
Dan25 wrote:Basically, to go all out would be to get a 2.5" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust with a hi-flow catalytic converter, one resonator, one muffler and your choice of tip.

For that you are looking at around the $1500 mark.
With what they all said above this is probably the best bet, though stainless is overkill and a good spot to save a couple hundy for a new pair of shoes; for road use it won't make a single shred of difference to power production. Go to the shop and say:

"I want a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust from the collector back with a hi-flow catalytic converter, one resonator, one muffler and your "that" tip (while pointing to the one you like)."

THEN AGAIN, if you really want the best possible power production you need to consider the FTO's single worst restriction. The FTO obviously runs a V6, both sides of the engine flow gas into the collector (the Y pipe).

Here is the standard Y pipe

The biggest restriction if where the rear bank flows directly into the path of the front bank and then has to make almost a 180 degree turn to head out of the exhaust. This causes a very large restriction and strangles the engine.

If money truly is no problem and you really want the best then you should consider having that replaced as well for something similar to:

See now how the rear bank merges into the front flow from the same direction? This is the best way to do it and would net a large gain in power and torque over leaving the factory one in place. Don't expect that to be cheap though; perhaps another $500 - $800

Print out those 2 pictures and take them with you while saying:
Katie wrote:I want this:

replaced with something like this:

Then I want a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust from the that part back with a hi-flow catalytic converter, one resonator, one muffler and "that" tip (while pointing to the one you like)
Then goto multiple shops, getting written quotes as you go. Then at the final shop ask them how much, then show them the other quotes to drive the price down :)

Without stainless steel being used I would expect you to pay in the vicinity of $1500 - $1800 total for all of that.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
KatieFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by KatieFTO »

vipfto wrote:Im happy to go in with you Katie to make sure you dont get ripped, BTW did you get bew engine in no probs?

It's about half way done haha, not a new new engine though,just old one coming out getting all the dodgy bits out (so technical)and new ones put in then back in it goes. Should have it back an running in a week or so if respray goes to plan. *fingers crossed*
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

have a look at the varex mufflers katie, preferrably the ones with the oval bodies that sit in the same place as the stock fto muffler, then choose the tips - you can change the volume by being able to close a valve in the muffler via a wireless remote in the cabin.

These mufflers cost around $400 then have the shop hard wire it to the battery.

But this is only one suggestion which might not affect your decision anyways.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
KatieFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by KatieFTO »

Gholdwayne wrote:have a look at the varex mufflers katie, preferrably the ones with the oval bodies that sit in the same place as the stock fto muffler, then choose the tips - you can change the volume by being able to close a valve in the muffler via a wireless remote in the cabin.

These mufflers cost around $400 then have the shop hard wire it to the battery.

But this is only one suggestion which might not affect your decision anyways.
No sounds good :) Thanks lots of different options are great