AWD SUPERCHARGED FTO

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Makaveli_600
jedwabna poszewka promocja

AWD SUPERCHARGED FTO

Post by Makaveli_600 »

Ok everyone, now i apologise if theirs a similar thread, but i am looking at starting a project FTO.

Now my ideas are bold, i just hope anyone can give me advice or any feedback on my ideas.

Im looking at getting a another fto gpx, manual.
What i want to do is put in the driveline of say a evo3 and above. So technically the car will become a AWD. Im in love with the stock motor (quad cam, 2lt 6 MIVEC) and am hoping that it wuld be possible to keep it amongst this conversion. The plan would be to supercharge the stock motor and get custom cams and cam gears (just some of the many other mods). Make the motor rev like crazy and produce some mean power figures, not to mention handle, be lighter and more areodynamic than the EVO range.

Now is this possible? Would the Gearbox take the power(what mods would be nessacary)?

Or would it have to use the 4G63 motor and gearbox aswell?

Any Ideas/feedback would be much appreciated!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh gawd, here we go again :lol:

First up. Have 50 grand available. You'll need it.

If you've got that covered, then read on. I've just finished a 6A13 conversion, front wheel drive only, and its cost me 20 grand.

If you want forced induction, use an engine that was designed for it. Such as the 4G63 or the 6A13.

It been proven time & time agin, the 6A12 Mivec does not like having its induction forced. The whole design methodology behind 'Mivec' in the 90's was specifically to make a naturally aspirated car go harder, not a turbo charged car.

With a 4G63, you have bucket loads of aftermarket parts, but you have to get it from a Evo V or above as the earlier models (I,II & III) the motor is facing ass about & the gearbox is on the wrong side. The Evo IV motor was the right way round, but suffered badly from crank-walk. So you need to fork out for a trashed Evo 5.

The other option is to get a trashed VR4 legnum, take the motor & box out of that. Keep in mind the boxes on them are massive & to fit the transfer case into the FTO you'll need to cut half the bulkhead out.

As far as specifics go with floor pans & chassis', dunno. Everyone has talked about it, no one has ever gone & done it. Rumour has it, the Evo III floor pans are the best fit.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Have you read anything from the turbo section? :roll:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

I8A4RE wrote:Have you read anything from the turbo section? :roll:
obviously not :lol:

+1 to what bennoz said.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

In a melodic way.

All you need is cash
All you need is cash
All you need is cash, cash, cash,
Cash is all you need!

;)

Seriously...
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Astron_Boy wrote:In a melodic way.

All you need is cash
All you need is cash
All you need is cash, cash, cash,
Cash is all you need!

;)

Seriously...
sorry I have to give this one to you mate :lol:
and its because you made me sing it to the Beatles tune :?
Last edited by aza013 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Not the fazeparm!!!11!!!

:(
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

:lol: :lol:
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

This was my first thread! Oh the memories
Racing in a VL is like being in the Special Olympics, coz even if you win, you're still a <u>RETARD</u>
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

More aerodynamic than an EVO? Put a parachute behind the EVO and it will still be faster than the FTO.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Be prepared to have your car off the road for a loooong looong time ..

This one was started in 2008 & is still nowhere near being finished & it is a proper fully equipped & experienced workshop doing the conversion..

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... ster&mid=0
Last edited by mr-charisma on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

saw on ebay yes ebay they had a fto conversion with a evo engine and awd dont no how true it was though
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I think in the long run it would be cheeper to get an evo and put the FTO shell on that.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

I think in the long run it would be cheeper to get an evo and put the FTO shell on that
You could do that!?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Definitely, it just will look like a shell with panels dangling off it.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

I would hazard a guess and say that the only people really capable of getting an AWD system into the FTO would be Mitsubishi. And they didn't. Game over.

The other thing I reckon gets forgotten is that just because it's AWD, doesn't mean it won't be a boat. FTOs are such a well balanced car, you go and mess with it by adding half a driveline and I reckon the magic would almost certainly be lost.
Resident Asshole.
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

That's crap, anything can be done, the older boys here might remember back to the days of the Winfield Skylines, of a VL Calais built by one of the Winfield's crewman, with a full R32 GTR drivetrain, including 4WD and an engine built to supercar spec. If he can mesh a GTR with a VL then meshing an Evo with an FTO would be possible.
Racing in a VL is like being in the Special Olympics, coz even if you win, you're still a <u>RETARD</u>
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

nicholas wrote:I would hazard a guess and say that the only people really capable of getting an AWD system into the FTO would be Mitsubishi. And they didn't. Game over.

The other thing I reckon gets forgotten is that just because it's AWD, doesn't mean it won't be a boat. FTOs are such a well balanced car, you go and mess with it by adding half a driveline and I reckon the magic would almost certainly be lost.
It is conflicting, but the FTO apparently either uses the same chassis as the eclipse (which has been 4WD) or the Galant. Saying it isn't possible is defeatist at best; the issue is that it would cost mega money to do.

Rumour had it that an extremely limited edition FTO came out with 4WD though it was naturally aspirated.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Meh, you boys continue to dream.

Give me documented proof that it has been done, tell me how much it cost in total, and I'll ROFL :D
Resident Asshole.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

nicholas wrote:Meh, you boys continue to dream.

Give me documented proof that it has been done, tell me how much it cost in total, and I'll ROFL :D
This ^^ :lol:

So much pipe dreaming.