New Japanese Sports Car

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

What car should I get?

Nissan Skyline R34
11%
Toyota Supra
26%
Mitsubishi GTO
37%
Other (Please Specify)
26%

Total votes: 19

-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

New Japanese Sports Car

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Well I'm currently looking at some new cars to replace my FTO in the next coming months, looking for your opinions. The FTO is great but with it's age is starting to show problems, and the main reason is the design of it has a very very bad blind spot, which is bad as I do a lot of city driving.

I'm mainly leaning towards the Skyline, with it's looks and a bigger space, although a lot of them look rubbish as stock. The Supra can also look nice but I only have an automatic license and it doesn't feature tiptronic, which is something I really want.

Budget is about $15,000, what are your opinions?
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

what license are you on?

once your on your greens you can drive manual in nsw even if you got an auto license i think

i like gtos

what about a soarer or mr2 or an old porsche?
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I'm on green P's in Victoria, and I am completely restricted to a non-turbo automatic vehicle.

Old Porsche I would have to spend a fortune to maintain it, something I don't want to. The MR2 I personally don't like the looks, same with the soarer, but thanks for the suggestions.

If I get a Skyline I'm going to modify it to look like the GTR (no badges of course)

Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

2001 FTO.
LED ALL the things.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I would get a Version R FTO but the main downside as I said is that blind spot on the car
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

LED ALL the things.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

What was that car posted for? lol
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

-Nighthawk- wrote:I'm on green P's in Victoria, and I am completely restricted to a non-turbo automatic vehicle.

Old Porsche I would have to spend a fortune to maintain it, something I don't want to. The MR2 I personally don't like the looks, same with the soarer, but thanks for the suggestions.

If I get a Big Ugly Soap Box Racer I'm going to modify it to look like the GTR (no badges of course)

Yay! You'll get to look like ever other jap street racer. Awesome 8) Image

If you are contemplating selling your FTO because of the blind spot, may I suggest one of these:

Worst reason eVar.
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Blind spot has never ever bothered me. Simple solution: just look twice over the shoulder.

Keep the fto ;)
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Do look twice but when you are going 80kmph in peak hour traffic and dickheads swerving everywhere it's not pleasant to drive with a big blind spot, in a lot of cases looking twice will end you up in the rear of the car infront :?

And I have never seen a Skyline like that on the roads, I have only seen some badly done up ones in either Silver / Black / White
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

wait out till your full license and get a manual whatever car if thats what you want in the future

if on your p's the skyyline, gto and supra are out of reach unless you go non-turbo... naturally aspirated + automatic + weight of a skyyline/supra thats meant to have more power isnt my idea of an upgrade... might aswell stick to a gpvr, but thats just my taste

the skylinee r32, r33/supra dont even have tippy models so that might be a downside for you aswell

on a side note: the gtst and gtr models have a different body shape, quite like lancers and evos do

to make a gtst look like a gtr, you would need a new bonnet, grill, front bar, gtr front fender and gtr rear fenders (gtr fenders are wider) and the gtr wing
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Honda NSX, Celica Gt-Four, Mitsubishi GTO, TRD 3000GT, Mazda RX-7, Subaru STI WRX 22B

I never ever see them. instant respect.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

oh wait didnt see budget my bad haha
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

i reckon wait till you get off your p's and go turbo

dont go rotary to much maintenance ive heard
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

i don't get off my p's for another 3 years... otherwise i would wait it out. If I didn't have restrictions i would be getting an evo 7
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

please please please do not buy a bog standard car and try to do it up to make it look like the top of the line model ie
If I get a Big Ugly Soap Box Racer I'm going to modify it to look like the GTR (no badges of course)
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I'm not trying to do it up to make it look like a higher end model, I want to do it up so it actually looks nice, and from all the kits I have seen the standard GTR kit looks the best.

This is not the case of getting a lancer and putting evo bodykit parts on it with evo badges to fool everyone, it's simply improving the aesthetics, which I see nothing wrong with :\
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

-Nighthawk- wrote:This is not the case of getting a lancer and putting evo bodykit parts on it with evo badges to fool everyone
Yes it is. but I respectfully disagree with you. Each to their own and good luck to you. what you will get is someone in a lukewarm hatch burning you off at the lights and bragging about how they smashed a GTR at the lights, also you will get huge disappointment groans when you pop the bonnet at your first cruise.
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

-Nighthawk- wrote:I'm not trying to do it up to make it look like a higher end model, I want to do it up so it actually looks nice, and from all the kits I have seen the standard GTR kit looks the best.

This is not the case of getting a lancer and putting evo bodykit parts on it with evo badges to fool everyone, it's simply improving the aesthetics, which I see nothing wrong with :\
i can respect that

though have you seen the Vertex and B.N bodykits for the r32/r33 they look really good imo

to answer your question: out of the 3, id go supra since at least its the 'better' looking of the 3 and you get the targa-top roof on the auto models, they have some nice aftermarket exterior mods and you can fit 10''wide rims on the rear :D
Last edited by J on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

AJ wrote:Yes it is. but I respectfully disagree with you. Each to their own and good luck to you. what you will get is someone in a lukewarm hatch burning you off at the lights and bragging about how they smashed a GTR at the lights, also you will get huge disappointment groans when you pop the bonnet at your first cruise.
So why did you do up your FTO? Are you trying to make it look like a more expensive car then what it actually is? After all it is only a 2L V6 FWD. You just wanted to improve the aesthetics yes?

Not everyone cares about what's under the engine bay, the first thing I look for in a car is the aesthetics. I'm not a dickhead who tries to drag people at the lights, or goes around saying "omg look at my car". I simply want a "good" looking car (if that means putting new bumpers and giving it a cool blue color) and I don't see anything wrong with that