New, but no FTO, yet. *Gotten it! *

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

yotka
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

New, but no FTO, yet. *Gotten it! *

Post by yotka »

Greetings all.

New here, and hoping to be a FTO owner soon.
Still on the look-out for an under 100k GPX Manual/Auto.

Been reading through all the common issues, etc, but still wanting it. :oops:

A normal car really seems boring. :(
Current car-> Mirage which is a write-off due to Perth's recent hail storm.

Cheers
Last edited by yotka on Sat May 08, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

There is a yellow one on car sales with less than 100K on it I think. There are probably more than that actually. Here are a few of the car sales sites:

http://www.completefto.com.au/CompleteFTO.asp?hid=254

And welcome to the club
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    I8A4RE
    QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Hey mate welcome
    CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
    vipfto
    Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

welcome :D
    yotka
    Mechanic

Post by yotka »

Thank you for the link, dstocks!!

It was a pain looking online on the usual websites, and I missed out on some of the other places mentioned there.

Will go and look into them.

Yellow might be out, even red. :( gf cannot stand those....
    yotka
    Mechanic

Re: New, but no FTO, yet.

Post by yotka »

Got the car now! :)

Fair bit of work to do though.... roof rust / wheel alignment / some leaky stuff in engine bay... hopefully not too major.
    silverGPX
    9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Welcome to the club man!

All ftos have problems just search the forums you will pretty much find everything you need to know, if not just ask :)
    Kustom
    Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Wttc mate -

post up your prblems and someone on here will know how to fix for sure.
    Congrats on your buy and post some pics up bro! :)
    Taz wrote:When funds allow
    yotka
    Mechanic

Post by yotka »

Thank you all!

Got a much better idea of what's wrong now.

Forum and members are helping a ton, thanks :)

Notable issues known so far:
    1> All 4 engine mounts need replacement ASAP
    2> Starter motor issue, seems to start on N, not P... so its probably dying.(not too sure about the start on N part.. need to try a few more times over the week.)
    3> oil and water leaks, need to be isolated, once engine is cleaned of all current residues.
    4> 1 wheel slightly damaged, but mght upgrade to 17inchers... not important yet, but might be the most expensive.
    5> Voltmeter fluctuates, when indicators are on, etc, but battery seems charged, so might not be an alternator issue. Will have to do the disconnect negative terminal on battery while car is running test.
    6> Roof rust... hmm.. will have to wait for now.
    7> A lot of wind noise, while at 90-100km... not too sure why. Windows are closed fully.
    Supplanter
    Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

If you are getting wind noise the doors might not be closed properly, move the hooks on the door frame that the door locks on to inwards and tighten the screws up as hard as you can.
    LED ALL the things.
    koolio1234
    Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

WTTC :thumleft:
    [img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
    yotka
    Mechanic

Post by yotka »

Supplanter wrote:If you are getting wind noise the doors might not be closed properly, move the hooks on the door frame that the door locks on to inwards and tighten the screws up as hard as you can.

Not too sure which parts, but will ask a mate who understands car stuff much more than me.
    Thanks for the tip! :)
    J
    Oldtimer

Re: New, but no FTO, yet. *Gotten it! *

Post by J »

i had a bit of wind noise before... i took out the rubber water lining that goes across the top of the driver side window and i repositioned it and glued it back into place.... i think there was a gap where air could be let inside the cabin, did this and stopped all the wind noises.
    yotka
    Mechanic

Post by yotka »

J wrote:i had a bit of wind noise before... i took out the rubber water lining that goes across the top of the driver side window and i repositioned it and glued it back into place.... i think there was a gap where air could be let inside the cabin, did this and stopped all the wind noises.

Will look into this too. :)
    rock_it
    Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

WTTC ... Hope you enjoy the ride..
    I just had to add it ......
    sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
    I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
    Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
    :utbnb:
    crimson236
    Grease Monkey

Post by crimson236 »

yotka wrote:Thank you all!

2> Starter motor issue, seems to start on N, not P... so its probably dying.(not too sure about the start on N part.. need to try a few more times over the week.)
    3> oil and water leaks, need to be isolated, once engine is cleaned of all current residues.
    4> 1 wheel slightly damaged, but mght upgrade to 17inchers... not important yet, but might be the most expensive.
    5> Voltmeter fluctuates, when indicators are on, etc, but battery seems charged, so might not be an alternator issue. Will have to do the disconnect negative terminal on battery while car is running test.
    7> A lot of wind noise, while at 90-100km... not too sure why. Windows are closed fully.
    Went to bob jane t-mart recently. They had some nice 17 inch rims at 190 each. Quite cheap IMO. You could consider them. 17in tyres were ard 120 each I think? Which mechanic are you sending your car to? Are they good with FTOs? I need to fix my suspension soon...
    yotka
    Mechanic

Post by yotka »

*snipped*
    Last edited by yotka on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    FTEvolution
    Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

WTTC mate

1, if you gunna bother changing engine mounts, bring the whole engine out and replace all hoses, water pump, drive belts and cambelt etc... basically anything that may need doing in the future. Also give the transmission a service too while it's out.

2, Mine has been doing that for years and still is lol, mine has gotten to the point where I need to rapidly turn the key to make it engage. Replaced it already once as well and the new one did it too.

3, as for number 1, do it all at the same time.

4, second hand FTO wheels go for about $50 with a standard 16" tyre around here, your mileage may vary. I am using Legnum VR4 alloys atm.

5, that's pretty standard on both of the FTO's I have had, as long as it is pushing over 13 volts at idle without any other drain you should be fine.

6, roof rust should be your #1 priority imo.

7, could be the rubber seals being weathered and cracked.
    [img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
    yotka
    Mechanic

Post by yotka »

I wanted to do the whole works too, but was advised to only replace what's needed.
    I am getting confused by all the different parts and part numbers too... :(

Unless you have a coprehensive parts list, where to buy and how much?
    Have read about the Drayco timing belt kit amongst others, but being a noob, I will make mistakes.

I did see an engine recondition kit for sale, which was just sold recently, which is said to have cost $1500?

Yeap, overall, still pretty confused about things... information overload.

Roof rust is important... but it will help, if I can drive the car confidently first though.
    Its currently being banned from anymore movement.... till I can get the engine mounts.
    vipfto
    Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

FTEvolution wrote:

WTTC mate

1, if you gunna bother changing engine mounts, bring the whole engine out and replace all hoses, water pump, drive belts and cambelt etc... basically anything that may need doing in the future. Also give the transmission a service too while it's out.

2, Mine has been doing that for years and still is lol, mine has gotten to the point where I need to rapidly turn the key to make it engage. Replaced it already once as well and the new one did it too.

3, as for number 1, do it all at the same time.

4, second hand FTO wheels go for about $50 with a standard 16" tyre around here, your mileage may vary. I am using Legnum VR4 alloys atm.

5, that's pretty standard on both of the FTO's I have had, as long as it is pushing over 13 volts at idle without any other drain you should be fine.

6, roof rust should be your #1 priority imo.

7, could be the rubber seals being weathered and cracked.

No need to remove engine to do mounts :roll: just do crossmember ones first then do side mounts after using a jack to hold weight one side at a time.

Car should start in both n and p starter is common issue easy fix too (20min job)

Degrease engine to discover where leaks are but once again no need to remove motor even for timing belt (bastard of a job but still faster to do on car than removing motor to do it)

wheels are cheap enough its good rubber that costs more easy fix

the rest is explained well by others ;)
    FTO GR-TURBO
    172KW ATW @ 11PSI