Fto engine in mid-engine cars?

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

millsy
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Fto engine in mid-engine cars?

Post by millsy »

Just wondering if the theory of transversly mounted engines (east-west engines or whatever you like to call them) can be aplied in both aplications, front engine front wheel drive To mid engine rear wheel drive or visa versa)? Because my mate has a mr2 and he knows the Engine sorta sucks, its pretty outdated and wanted a decent whack of power upfront and something that is high reving and can chuck paddleshifters into, also wanting a v6. So obviously the fto is a perfect choice (i know there are other v6 front wheel engines out there like alfa's and vw's, but if anything goes wrong the engine is cheap to buy and get parts for, well, cheaper than alfa's n renult's ect). So would an engine conversion like that work? Asuming we can get the mounts and space for the engine correct? I know its one of those things where its like "you can do anything if you throw enough money at it", just making sure if it is easy as i think it could be or not? I guess im also saying can you put small mid mounted engine into a front wheel drive. Whats everyones thoughts? Ta
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

i dont think it would fit

last time i looked at the sw20 boot/engine bay, it was really cramped.

maybe it could be done though with a bit of tinkering to the boot wall...
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Fto engine in mid-engine cars?

Post by brad_gpx »

millsy wrote: Just wondering if the theory of transversly mounted engines (east-west engines or whatever you like to call them) can be aplied in both aplications, front engine front wheel drive To mid engine rear wheel drive or visa versa)?

Because my mate has a mr2 and he knows the Engine sorta sucks, its pretty outdated and wanted a decent whack of power upfront and something that is high reving and can chuck paddleshifters into, also wanting a v6.

So obviously the fto is a perfect choice (i know there are other v6 front wheel engines out there like alfa's and vw's, but if anything goes wrong the engine is cheap to buy and get parts for, well, cheaper than alfa's n renult's ect).

So would an engine conversion like that work? Asuming we can get the mounts and space for the engine correct? I know its one of those things where its like "you can do anything if you throw enough money at it", just making sure if it is easy as i think it could be or not? I guess im also saying can you put small mid mounted engine into a front wheel drive. Whats everyones thoughts? Ta

there we go thats a bit easier for anyone to read
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yes totally possible if you throw enough cash at it. But it will be very exxie. It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a porsche
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

or just put in the supercharged or turbo version of mr2 motor depending on what model his is
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Re: Fto engine in mid-engine cars?

Post by FTEvolution »

brad_gpx wrote:
millsy wrote: Just wondering if the theory of transversly mounted engines (east-west engines or whatever you like to call them) can be aplied in both aplications, front engine front wheel drive To mid engine rear wheel drive or visa versa)?

Because my mate has a mr2 and he knows the Engine sorta sucks, its pretty outdated and wanted a decent whack of power upfront and something that is high reving and can chuck paddleshifters into, also wanting a v6.

So obviously the fto is a perfect choice (i know there are other v6 front wheel engines out there like alfa's and vw's, but if anything goes wrong the engine is cheap to buy and get parts for, well, cheaper than alfa's n renult's ect).

So would an engine conversion like that work? Asuming we can get the mounts and space for the engine correct? I know its one of those things where its like "you can do anything if you throw enough money at it", just making sure if it is easy as i think it could be or not? I guess im also saying can you put small mid mounted engine into a front wheel drive. Whats everyones thoughts? Ta

there we go thats a bit easier for anyone to read
lol, someone's learning :)

@OP, space wise I doubt it would fit. Why not just put in the GT4 engine? Would bolt in and have a sh*t load more power than the standard atmo...
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT