Help with FTO parts list

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jamie
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Help with FTO parts list

Post by Jamie »

Im in a position where I can start spending some time and money on my FTO. I have a rough list of parts I want to purchase and fit in the next four weeks. Would be a big help if anybody has purchased these parts in the past could post where they got them and for how much. There are too many places out there that double deal and make proffits on items that they dont even manufacture themselves.

Note- I have a Gr manual

Extractors- Is Hurricane Headers the best place to get these?

Timing Belt- Are the ones on Ebay worth getting?

Ignition leads- ??

Spark plug seals- ??

Short shifter- ??

After market cams- ??

Piggy back ecu- ??

Also on a side note has anybody ever shaved the heads on a 6A12 to increase compression? Any thoughts?
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Re: Help with FTO parts list

Post by koolio1234 »

Extractors- Hurricane headers are pretty good, get a quote from either liverpool exhausts or castle hill exhaust and go with whoever offers the most competitive quote. Both are excellent shops.

Timing Belt- Not sure about the ebay ones but look for the 'gates timing belt kit'.

Ignition leads- Bosch, NGK, anyone feel free to recommend something here...

Piggy back ecu- Haltech piggybacks seem to be an excellent choice, they are becoming really popular and have some decent support amongst tuners.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Extractors- Got mine from RPW

Timing Belt- Autobarn / Repco / Bursons (bursons will beat other stores pricing by 10% or more)

Ignition leads - http://www.magnecor.com.au/distrib.html / http://www.performancewholesale.com.au/index.php

Spark plug seals- not sure, probably same as timing belt

Short shifter- RPW (Exchange unit $195 + $100 refunded when you send your stock one back to them) Could be available elsewhere as well though ..

After market cams- RPW does them I think .. might be best to PM Valandis though

Piggy back ecu- I've got a Unichip Type A for sale, good for 10-15kw - $300

Also on a side note has anybody ever shaved the heads on a 6A12 to increase compression? Any thoughts? don't think I've heard of anyone doing it on an FTO ..
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

yip RPW are cheaper for extractors

leads and spark plug seals I got from Camskill as dollar was good

Timing belt kit got from CBC bearings (gates) but ebay dayco ones are fine (also do waterpump)

Short shifter not too sure RPW do one but very pricey

Same for cams

ECU go greddy or unichip around $300-$400 plus instal and dyno tune but do this last

Yes I believe AZA has had his heads decked easily done if you want to go to expense if it
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

www.perfectrun.jp do a good short shifter. C's brand.

I'd go with Haltech Interceptor for piggyback

Cams are only available from RPW & they will cost you a bomb (think $2500+) & I've never seen any conclusive reports that they work.

Decking your heads leads to $500 gasket kit, $1000 head services, $x000's of dollars labour. Buy a 6A13tt.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Bennoz wrote:Buy a 6A13tt.
Aren't I the one that is known for suggesting 6A13TT swaps to everyone in sundry?

Lol, I remember you bagged me about it about 2 years ago :roll:

Looks like someone has been bitten by the bug, it's a downhill slope from here buddy. I still dream about my engine XD

EDIT! I have to say though, I do agree with Bennoz; bang for buck my good man, bang for buck!
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Extractors- Rpw

Timing Belt- Get a dayco kit (comes with everything needed). The only thing I would worry about getting off ebay is the fact it may be a copy. Ring either cbc beraings on bsc and they have the kits and are as cheap if not cheaper than ebay.

Ignition leads- Magencor.

Spark plug seals- Geniune off mitsi. I am pretty sure same as HJ galant so no tax

Short shifter- C' brand

After market cams- Seriously I would be looking at doing turbo or 6a13 conversion. IMO the cost vs gain ratio, just isnt right for me going down the n/a path. but if still interested read valandis thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17522

Piggy back ecu- I would go emanage or haltech, probably haltech as there is far more support for it here in aus.

Also on a side note has anybody ever shaved the heads on a 6A12 to increase compression? Any thoughts?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

Thanks guys for the info...keep it comming.

Haltech does seem to be the go for the euc. I live in brisbane so does anyone know a reputable workshop where I can get in installed and tuned. I dont mind paying a bit extra for the piece of mind that its done properly.

For the price of those cams and the unknown benifits I think I will stay clear of that.

Sorry Bennoz but Im not interested in the 6A13tt conversion. In fact all this work will be to support forced induction. Nothing big just aiming for around 180kW atw. I will start another thread for that when all the gear arrives ;)

I had a look at the extractors at RPW. Is there any advantage to the coating such as lower temperature under the bonnet or is it purely bling factor?

Thanks Simon for the info on the spark plug seals I will check it out. What did you mean by the Dayco kits containing everything though? Are some kits incomplete?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Jamie wrote:In fact all this work will be to support forced induction
Why are you decking the heads (increasing compression ratio) if you are going forced induction? :?
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

Bennoz wrote:
Why are you decking the heads (increasing compression ratio) if you are going forced induction? :?
No that was just out of curiosity. Maybe I wasnt clear enough. Wasnt sure if it was able to be done...though it might effect valve clearances.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Jamie wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
No that was just out of curiosity. Maybe I wasnt clear enough. Wasnt sure if it was able to be done...though it might effect valve clearances.
It can be done, but not by much, the 6A12 is already an interference engine with valve clearances ground out of the pistons.
If anything, going forced induction, I'd be de-compressing it. That way you can run more than just 6 or 7 pound boost.
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

Bennoz wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
It can be done, but not by much, the 6A12 is already an interference engine with valve clearances ground out of the pistons.
If anything, going forced induction, I'd be de-compressing it. That way you can run more than just 6 or 7 pound boost.
^^I cant believe I never even thought about a decompression gasket
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

OK first things first....

Timing belt kit - Yes I have seen some that only have idler pulley.

Decompression is not a must but definitly a good idea. If your going to do this just remember you will need gasket set ($200) and head bolts ($350).

Haltech - THESE GUYS Not cheap but know what they are doing.

Extractor Coating - Personally I wouldnt worry about it. If it does start to get hot later on down the track then its simple enough to pull them off and do it later.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

I8A4RE wrote:OK first things first....

Decompression is not a must but definitly a good idea. If your going to do this just remember you will need gasket set ($200) and head bolts ($350).

Extractor Coating - Personally I wouldnt worry about it. If it does start to get hot later on down the track then its simple enough to pull them off and do it later.
Did you end up fitting decompression gaskets and stronger head bolts or are the parts you refered to standard replacements.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Jamie wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:OK first things first....

Did you end up fitting decompression gaskets and stronger head bolts or are the parts you refered to standard replacements.
Standard replacement.

I think when I try to hit between 8 and 10psi I will go with decomp gasket but 8 and below it is overkill in my opinion...... NOTE: All depends on how your engine has been looked after especially in the later years of its life and how many kms its done. If my engine was over 200-220k then I would also probably do it.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

Bennoz wrote:Cams are only available from RPW & they will cost you a bomb (think $2500+) & I've never seen any conclusive reports that they work.
oh ben trust me they work ;)

just havent gotten around to being dynoed... havent even got the verniers in or properly tuned. but they work :p
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

I8A4RE wrote:
Standard replacement.

I think when I try to hit between 8 and 10psi I will go with decomp gasket but 8 and below it is overkill in my opinion...... NOTE: All depends on how your engine has been looked after especially in the later years of its life and how many kms its done. If my engine was over 200-220k then I would also probably do it.
I actually think you won't need one if you get the injectors upgraded. Stock injectors are fkn rediculously small for a turbo set up (something like 200cc??) I remember bennoz saying magna injectors fit and are bigger so might be worth looking into it? Do you remember when you got the tune done, what the injector duty cycle was at?

Reason I say this is that both you and Jamie have gr motors with a slightly less compression rate as it is. With a really good tune and injector upgrade I reckon 10 psi shouldnt be a problem
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

Time for an update...

Some of the parts I have ordered have started arriving. Will update again when all the parts arrive.

Just thought I would remind everyone that this thread is just for all the supporting mods before I go forced induction. I appreciate all the info and keep it comming but I will be completing everything else first. Cheers
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yano wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:
Standard replacement.

I actually think you won't need one if you get the injectors upgraded. Stock injectors are fkn rediculously small for a turbo set up (something like 200cc??) I remember bennoz saying magna injectors fit and are bigger so might be worth looking into it? Do you remember when you got the tune done, what the injector duty cycle was at?

Reason I say this is that both you and Jamie have gr motors with a slightly less compression rate as it is. With a really good tune and injector upgrade I reckon 10 psi shouldnt be a problem
Yeah probably but it's more just piece of mind more than anything.
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

Hey guys sorry for the late update, with work, kids and the broken laptop its been a bit busy and hard to find a chance to update. Anyway I now have a new timing belt and waterpump, new springs and droplinks and the engine has just had a major service and will be ready tommorow afternoon...cant wait. (New platnium plugs, oils filter air filter ect). I also made a new false floor and rear panel for the boot while I was waiting for the parts to arive. I trimmed it in new black carpet and in the rear panel I cut out the FTO symbol and made a blue light with some LED's that I wired into the boot light switch. It now ligts up blue when I open the boot lid and looks awesome.

I also bought a Honda VTR road bike as a way to commute to work and have some fun with on the weekends :D So I wont be spending too much on the FTO at once but will still go ahead with my plans. Next on the list of things to do is a set of extractors, larger throttle body and a short shifter. Maybe some new tyres aswell. Next step will be a computer and tuning to get the most out of the mods.

Anyway thats where it's at at the moment 8)