Sydney Newbie

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTOsenior
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sydney Newbie

Post by FTOsenior »

My son has just purchased his first car - a '95 FTO. I have had the pleasure of taking it for some extended test drives and have been enjoying the experience. No doubt he will pop up here at some stage but I was jumping on to see if I could find some answers to a few specific questions to help him out. I will post them in the right threads but if anyone spots this and can help then that would be appreciated.
1. He is after a car cover - have seen some standard ones around but I did see some (very) old postings on international boards for what looked like a branded Mitsubishi FTO cover. Does anyone have one for sale?
2. Tyre rubbing on near and full wheel lock - front tyres are near new Goodyear 215/45ZR17 and rear 235/45ZR17 on oz racing rims with a spacer used on the front set. The drivers side wheel arch lining has been removed and on the passenger side it is evident that there has been a fair bit of rubbing before the car was purchased. I have found a fair bit of conflicting advise around the correct tyre sizes and the local shop wanted to sell 4 or 2 new tyres at $330 a pop. There is also an aftermarket stabiliser bar and suspension that we were told was set very low?. So the question is .. does anyone have this configuration and no rubbing and what was done (ie changed offsets, removed/modified arch linings, suspension raised??) or am I resigned to changing the tyres.
Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Re: Sydney Newbie

Post by I8A4RE »

FTOsenior wrote:My son has just purchased his first car - a '95 FTO. I have had the pleasure of taking it for some extended test drives and have been enjoying the experience. No doubt he will pop up here at some stage but I was jumping on to see if I could find some answers to a few specific questions to help him out. I will post them in the right threads but if anyone spots this and can help then that would be appreciated.
1. He is after a car cover - have seen some standard ones around but I did see some (very) old postings on international boards for what looked like a branded Mitsubishi FTO cover. Does anyone have one for sale?
2. Tyre rubbing on near and full wheel lock - front tyres are near new Goodyear 215/45ZR17 and rear 235/45ZR17 on oz racing rims with a spacer used on the front set. The drivers side wheel arch lining has been removed and on the passenger side it is evident that there has been a fair bit of rubbing before the car was purchased. I have found a fair bit of conflicting advise around the correct tyre sizes and the local shop wanted to sell 4 or 2 new tyres at $330 a pop. There is also an aftermarket stabiliser bar and suspension that we were told was set very low?. So the question is .. does anyone have this configuration and no rubbing and what was done (ie changed offsets, removed/modified arch linings, suspension raised??) or am I resigned to changing the tyres.
Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Hey mate welcome. Get some pics up of your sons ride. We always love to see another fto.

Now to the questions.
1) In the whole time I have been on this forum I never heard about anyone having a fto specific car cover. I know dstocks (a member here) has a brochure with them in it but even with all his contacts in jap has not been able to source one. Just a generic one and maybe if someone you know is good a sewing machine they may be able to modify it.
2)215 should fit nicely and if it isnt it means that the offset on the RIMS is not correct. Either buy new rims or put up with it. You could go smaller tyres but you will loose handling. I have 225 on my front and I only get an tiny bit of rubbing. You could remove the linings too but depending on where it is rubbing and how bad probably wont make much of a difference.

Good Luck.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

welcome

pretty much as I8A4RE says

the correct 17 inch tyre size is actualy 215/40r17 but even with what you have rubbing should not occur. As for sway bar they will stiffen up chassis and if adjustable height coilovers are in there raising it will prob not stop rubbing, offset of wheels are the key there ;)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

with the car cover, i bought one from repco for around $150, fully waterproof, and it clips itself with 2 strips underneath the car so the cover doesnt get blown away by strong wind, and it fits the fto perfectly, i think the brand was autotecnica ? the box was red and what i remember was a ferrari on it, as for size, a mitsubishi galant was on the list , and the dimensions of the cover closely matched the fto's..

For the rubbing, id be with the gang here, offset is probably the one thats causing it.. post pics, we might be able to tell better
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...